My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gangrelchilde
    I have to agree with Vin. Without looking up the Florida law, my impression is that the mistake was charging an admission fee. Once the admission fee is charged, what is going on is no longer "demonstration" or "exhibition". Does anyone know the exact statute for this particular law? I'd like to read it, and Pennsylvania, where I practice, doesn't have a similar law that I could find.
    He might be able to get away with the exhibition angle if he has a good enough lawyer. I had to pay admition to an exhibition (it was billed as an exhibition )Karate and Kickboxing match but it was coupled with a MA seminar. If Din can come up for another reason for charging then it might work.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** the press, **** the law, **** Florida, and **** America.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 7:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    He might be able to get away with the exhibition angle if he has a good enough lawyer. I had to pay admition to an exhibition (it was billed as an exhibition )Karate and Kickboxing match but it was coupled with a MA seminar. If Din can come up for another reason for charging then it might work.
    Asia, I would love to agree, but the law specifically prohibits MMA (sub 2). That is, in my professional opinion, the biggest hurdle. The law specifically prohibits MMA, whereas sub 1, which prohibits amateur comps involving strikes or blows to the head seems to, judging by the title of the chapter containing the law, only relates to boxing and such. I'm not an expert on running an MA tourney, but AFAIK they don't generally fall under the rubrik of state athletic commissions, whereas this law specifically puts MMA under it.

Checked the whole chapter... Section 548.007 specifically excludes certain events from the statute and MMA ain't listed in the exceptions. I could probably come up with *something* if I had more facts... he might be able to wiggle out of this under Section 548.007 if his lawyer has smarts and a good understanding on martial arts...
    Last edited by gangrelchilde; 10/31/2007 8:05pm at .

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 7:57pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure the picture in Florida, but usually the boxing commissions lobby for these sorts of laws to keep others from moving in on their turf.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456