Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 1:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to another post on the article by someone who was there this was indeed a smoker match designed to get some of the guys used to fighting in front of a crowd in preparation for future matches. So this is a bullshit charge and should be dropped.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 1:41pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically some fucknugget DA somewhere really is using the logic "We don't allow amateur MMA, so therefore any amateur MMA is clearly an illegal pro prize fight?"

:violent1:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 1:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ANY Amature MMA or unsanctioned Pro-MMA fight is illegal in the State of Florida. Fighters can be fined up to $500 or 60 days in jail and its a misdemeanor. Promoters, which is what they are apparently saying Din was in this instance, is a third degree felony with $1000 fine or up to a year in jail. Both fighter and promoter will lose their respective licenses as well.

All this was were a few guys from 2 ATT schools getting together to train under real fight settings and get used to a crowd. None of the fighters were paid and the fights don't count toward their record.

Further, the cops showed up at the event and apparently spoke with Din and let the event continue.

Bullshit. Good luck Din.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 1:52pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that is so terrible. Why isn't the press on Din's side? It is an obvious trumped up charge. I know they won't but I really wish the UFC would support Din.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    150 people is a pretty big number for a smoker... but still, gay that it's a felony charge
    I've seen a smoker with almost 200 spectators. It was members of all the schools involved.

All this was were a few guys from 2 ATT schools getting together to train under real fight settings and get used to a crowd. None of the fighters were paid and the fights don't count toward their record.
    Sad thing is that sthis sounds very reasonable to pple who understand MMA but to those on the outside will look like a lame excuse.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 2:12pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia
    Sad thing is that sthis sounds very reasonable to pple who understand MMA but to those on the outside will look like a lame excuse.
    so he if he actually gets a jury of peers(which would have to be people who understand MMA) he should be fine, of course if this does go to a trial the DA would go to great lengths to make sure such irrational ultimate fighting sympathizers never got on the jury. And of course if he is convicted it will be front page news and if he's aquitted or charges are dropped it will be in a 2 line article in the bottom left corner of page 37, so that the negative image of MMA is reinforced no matter what.(I love the media)
    Thomas should request a medieval style trial by combat.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 2:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    Sad thing is, you're 100% correct. As much as MMA has entered "the mainsteam" I think the majority of the population still believes the "human cockfighting" bullshit. The level of contact that went into those fights is not much greater than a hard training session to get a fighter ready for an upcoming fight. The only difference is the crowd, mostly made up of students from both schools involved and ATT in general.

Sadly, the Palm Coast area is primarily made up of middle class to wealthy retirees who have no idea what MMA training or the sport actually are; which is why the report seems so slanted. If that article was written in Orlando I would bet that it would have had a completely different flavor.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 2:14pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe there was a raffle and they were charging ten dollars. I don't know if the money was for the raffle or admission.

My source was the Jordan Breen show.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 2:23pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    If that article was written in Orlando I would bet that it would have had a completely different flavor.
    they would have called in the MBI and charged him with racketeering in Orlando....

or

someone would have been shot

or

it's illegal to feed a gathering of 150 students at a martial arts school.

Quote Originally Posted by The Slammer
    #6 Posted by The_Slammer on October 30, 2007 at 12:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Police aside, I wonder if the UFC condones what he did? There's a reason fights are properly sanctioned in order for them to take place. He knew the rules of the game. This isn't Asia!
    How does this guy know who Asia is?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 2:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    it's illegal to feed a gathering of 150 students at a martial arts school.
    Very good point.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast