Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 6:26pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    Isn't the whole idea behind this technique to use the extended knuckle to penetrate teh deadly pressure points? (ie bullshido)
    Depends on what you consider pressure points. If you mean "hit here and his heart explodes" pressure points, then no. If you mean "funny bone-like" pressure points, you are still wrong, but if you mean "hit the jaw, the ribs, the temples, the solar plexus" type of pressure points, then you are teh correct.

Now personally, I don't like it too much, but I would definitely not count it as bullshido or even dodgy. The Phoenix eye fist definitively works, I've been on the recieving end of it and it hurts like hell. But personally, I don't really like how it "connects" when it hits. It rarely makes as "clean" a hit as a flat fist.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    are your hands teeny-tiny or really big? I can't work it out.
    I guess they're regular-sized, although I've got "piano" fingers (slender ones with barely any any callus).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 6:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird...that looks a lot like the way we were taught to make a fist in Isshin Ryu Karate.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 7:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was informed recently that a fist with extended knuckles index and middle allow one to strike "hard to hard" with much less risk for injury, at least when leading with the proper strike of the first two knuckles.
    I don't know, since I have yet to punch anyone in the head with that particular hand-weapon.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Madgrenade
    I have been told to use palms on their hard bits and fists on their soft bits (so as not to risk breaking my knuckles). Is this useful?
    One thing is for sure: It is certainly useless if you don't already know how to strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Guizzy
    Wow, whoever drew that phoenix eye has probably never hitting something/someone hard with one. The index knuckle lacks support from the thumb. The thumb should be right where it is on a closed fist.
    That's actually a copy of a somewhat famous drawing. Additionally is not a phoenix eye fist. It's a 'three point' fist (Cantonese: Sahm Dim Choi or Sahm Dim Kuen).

Without getting too far into the details, yes, the thumb is, in fact, supporting the index finger. I suppose it is reasonable to argue your description can provide better support. However, this presupposes you are going to strike with the point of the index finger. (Hint: The index finger is supporting the thumb more than the other way around.)

A lot of people forget that any of these types of strikes where specialized hand shapes might increase potency are not the 'meat and potatoes'. They aren't even dessert. They are the 'icing on the cake'. Their use is very limited - if at all - and too much will make you nauseous and fat.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 10/30/2007 7:48pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 8:02pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xingyifa
    Isn't the whole idea behind this technique to use the extended knuckle to penetrate teh deadly pressure points? (ie bullshido)
    I'll pretty much say the same thing as the others here - not t3h d34dly instant kill points, but places that have high concentrations of nerves and give a bit more ouch for your money. The knuckle is about condensing the same impact force that you get with a normal strike to a smaller area. Solar plexus, temple, etc are dead on and the only thing I could add there is the inside elbow joint (combined with a parry) for inflaming/tearing tendons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 8:11pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like using phoenix eye fist to hit the inside of the biceps of someone who's reaching for or grabbing me. Leaves pretty little purple circles on their arm meats.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take your Phoenix Eye or whatever crazy hand position you think you want to use to hit someone with and go to the heavy bag. Use this hand position to strike the heavy bag as hard as you can. You will figure out which ones are practical and which ones are not in short order. If you are smart you will figure it out before you actually hit anything and retain the use of your finger (they are quite useful).

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 12:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    Take your Phoenix Eye or whatever crazy hand position you think you want to use to hit someone with and go to the heavy bag. Use this hand position to strike the heavy bag as hard as you can. You will figure out which ones are practical and which ones are not in short order. If you are smart you will figure it out before you actually hit anything and retain the use of your finger (they are quite useful).
    This from someone that spends time hitting heavy bags.

Specific hand formations for specific targets.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 12:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    This from someone that spends time hitting heavy bags.

Specific hand formations for specific targets.
    Just how the **** do you know what my training regiment consists of?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 8:27am

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith
    Hand still definitively ok, I guess that kinda proves it working.

However, fingers are overrated anyway; real men train their tongue and dick to be prehensile.

Will this thread find a home, or will it keep bouncing back between YMAS and Strikistan?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast