Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 6:53am

Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Am i guilty of crappling?

Short and sweet: I've been studying BJJ under a black belt student of Marcelo Rezende for about a year, once a week, as part of MMA training. I had just finished my muay thai class tonight at a different venue when me and my bro were practicing just some basic triangle escapes etc. when the head instructor of the local McDojo (which happens to follow the muay thai class) questioned me on it. After a very short discussion he asked if me and my bro were willing to teach his students the basics over a few lessons. I explained BJJ practitioners take a very long time to develop their skills and my experience was minimal at best, he didn't care. I'd obviously explain that if people wish to learn more that they should go and learn BJJ from a more experienced BJJer. I'm not being paid for it or anything, it's good to give people a taste of what they don't know about right? What are your thoughts? Should I even do it?

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you are not qaulified. There is an endless amount of problems this could cause. Anything from you getting into a grappling versus anti-grapple debate to you teaching something incorrectly to someone getting hurt.

Osiris, please weigh in on this one . . . .

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:11am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont think it can do any harm as long as you are honest about your experiance to his students. If you let him bullshit his students into thinking you are a master. Then you are crappling. If you say you are a noob, and only cover the basics you fully understand, then you are not crappling. I dont even have a year of bjj yet and I'm sure I could teach some basic guard passes, armbar from mount, armbar from guard, triangle from guard, and kimura from guard without much worry.

Its not rocket science. Plus maybe if they see you as bad ass they will go seek out real training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:19am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with FictionPimp. As long as you're honest with them about your skills and don't try to teach them anything that is over your head I don't see anything wrong with it.

Run it by your BJJ instructor and see what he thinks. If you spark interest in some of these guys you can send them to him for real training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have full confidence that I could tap anyone out there easily and my brother moreso (as I'm 60kg he's about 90) which would easily solve the grappling versus anti-grappling debate. They don't even cover anti-grappling btw, I watched them spar for the first time tonight and it's just sad really...but i completely understand the possibilities of someone getting injured, I was coming from the viewpoint that these guys don't know what BJJ is and that maybe they could get a taste for it if they saw some?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:26am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what does your BJJ instructor think about (I assume) his whites teaching?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go ahead. It's not going to hurt anything. This is starting to sound like a broken record, but just be up front about your level of experience. You don't have to be a master to share training ideas.

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take it up with your instructor. Especially if you aren't a blue.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't waste my time with it. It's not like you are a recruiting stand for BJJ and you could learn more by going to class or doing something else since you are not recieving anything out of the deal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only ever done no gi as it's for MMA, but thanx heaps for the replies and I'll ask my BJJ instructor what he thinks
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast