Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:21pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's been years, and I forgot that it was THAT BAD.

Point sparring.:gaygay:

You know what it looks like. Well, my school is going to a tourny (the nationals, la dee fucking dah) and we have point sparring and "forms"(kata) competition. So last night our school took to practicing to prepare our students for the point sparring. Much hilarity ensued as we lined up to play king-of-the-ring style patty-cake. We're heavily armored (definitely not armed), and the points go to anyone who manages to tap the other person. Me and a few of the other students who can actually put some force behind our moves were beaten left and right because lil' miss BB 3rd degree age 16 could keep her leg up and tap us.

No hip rotation. No power. Just a lifted leg and some round kicks to the ribs. It was rediculous. The fact that it was non-continuous point sparring made the fact ten times worse. Lose your point, back of the line.

Just wanted to get that out of my gut. It's been swimming there and making me ill. I'd like to see these people get into some real self defense situations and get their asses handed to them.

Sure, I'm being a sore loser a bit, but the fact that I had no chance against some people in fighting because they obey a retarded watered down kyokushin karate rule-set makes me bitter. And I'm willing to accept that I'm bitter in this.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure I pulled a punch during a real fight because I forgot it wasn't point sparring, I swear. No joke actually, that's when I decided "semi-contact" as us Brits call it wasn't for me. But I was training Karate and later TaeKwonDo so that's how the school(s) sparred - it's not like you could opt out of point sparring if you are in that training environment, other than leaving of course. Same with step-sparring, I don't ever recall anyone saying to the instructor "no step sparring is unrealistic, it will teach me bad habits, I think I'll sit this one out thanks". Unrealistic training is part of the art(s) I'm afraid. Obvious solution....
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obvious solution is don't find Bullshido ONE WEEK after signing a two year contract. Le sigh.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    two years??? You're kidding right? And there are people here who don't think McDojoism is bad, the mind boggles.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:55pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    Sure, I'm being a sore loser a bit, but the fact that I had no chance against some people in fighting because they obey a retarded watered down kyokushin karate rule-set makes me bitter. And I'm willing to accept that I'm bitter in this.
    Nps, just dont blame kyokushin karate for the fact TKD has watered sparring down to point sparring as they have gone out of their way to not point spar. The rulesets are dramatically different because of that. Maybe you should give TKD a shove and take up Kyokushin or KB so you can see how different it is striking people in unbroken rounds without armour etc.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 7:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCollider
    Nps, just dont blame kyokushin karate for the fact TKD has watered sparring down to point sparring as they have gone out of their way to not point spar. The rulesets are dramatically different because of that. Maybe you should give TKD a shove and take up Kyokushin or KB so you can see how different it is striking people in unbroken rounds without armour etc.
    I've made sure that I find guys who want heavy contact, and we spar without gear on days where we're not training at the school. I'm not blaming Kyokushin. FAR from it. I'm very excited to see a ruleset similar to what I want. The TKD ruleset we're fighting under is no punches to the head, stop-point sparring. I was referring to the no-punching-head-thing.

My beef mainly lies with this: If we're so convinced that TKD is superior, why do we not train near as well as Kyokushin? I'm going to confront my instructor on this subject. He's pretty in it for the money now, though. I'd like to get a good BB class that is heavy contact going, and he might buy into the idea. He's not completely idiotic, and that's part of the reason that I am pleased with the training thus far. He does say that a lot of the training is for exercise, so he's not lying there, but he does seem to think that he's giving these people enough training with all of that gear on to prepare them for "the task at hand".

Yeah, two year contract. But it's really not that unheard of up here. Every school is either monthly or EXTENDED contract in this area. I just didn't find out how much fun BJJ is until after I had already signed up. I'll be in there the moment that the option arises. Until then, make the best of what I have going here.

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:10am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok this is YMAS so I don't feel bad about thowing my 2 cents in. While I have never point sparred in my life I need to ask. If Little Miss BB is throwing weak kicks with no power why not keep your hands up and block them? After blocking her kick punch her real hard in the body and go oops my bad. Just an idea.:laughing7

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Ok this is YMAS so I don't feel bad about thowing my 2 cents in. While I have never point sparred in my life I need to ask. If Little Miss BB is throwing weak kicks with no power why not keep your hands up and block them? After blocking her kick punch her real hard in the body and go oops my bad. Just an idea.:laughing7
    She's not kicking hard enough To really block.

It'd just go back into chamber unless you gave her a cross to the friggin shin.

Since she's in a chambered postion with the leg up, her body is effectively covered from any punches unless you move the leg. She can flick her leg out quick enough to tap you in the head or body. No shots below the waist, so no going after supporting leg, and even though I caught one of her kicks in my hands, the fact that she touched my gi meant that she got the point. T3h d34d1y for Point-TKD.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    yeah i agree with teh Mike.
    if i may also suggest you the following options: grab her foot, bite through her achilles tendent (or however you spell that), or you can catch the leg, elbow the knee or thigh karatekidstyle and kick her in the groin.

or (my choice) you let her win and say: oops you've won! great game, now lets hit the showers.

did i ever tell you you look really good in that outfit?
    your eyes really come out coz of it.
    if you soap my back ill soap yours..etc etc etc

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    VeteranRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:25am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how about just pushing her down? is that allowed?

now repeat.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast