Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Unsure...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Addressing my instructor correctly

Hi guys, I'm new to Taekwon do and the first thing I asked my instructor was how to address him correctly. He said, if I recall correctly, Shehan, or something like that, which I don't know how to spell, but it sounded like "shee-han." He told me it meant "leader."

Can anyone please show me how to say this correctly using phoenetic spelling and how to spell it correctly? Thank you. I'm already losing my memory on this one quickly and don't want to embarrass myself or insult my instructor. :-)

Got my gi today, nice! Puts me in a whole new frame of mind wearing it.

Cheers,
    James

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So whitebelt.au, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    BJJ, MT, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welocome to Bullshido.

Shihan. Say it like it sounds.

Style
    Unsure...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJbot
    So whitebelt.au, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.
    Thanks, will do. That will have to wait for a bit though, because I live out in a rural town and the dojo is almost an hour's drive away, and he holds classes at the local school hall here. When I visit for my private one-on-one instruction I'll review my dojo. It's called Nick King's Lifestyle Centre and is in Inverell, New South Wales, Australia.

Style
    Unsure...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Welocome to Bullshido.

Shihan. Say it like it sounds.
    Thanks and thanks!

See you around. -- James

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could be wrong on this., but I'm fairly sure Shihan is a japaneese word and not korean. I'd suspect something about that teacher.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Style
    Bazhengdao Quan, Bajiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like the whole crossing of terms and styles and uniforms, but some good teachers do that. If you don't care about being historically acurate to the style I don't think it matters.

Community Corrections Officer supporting member
    Style
    Judo, TKD BB
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would submit to you, whitebelt, that if your instructor is the type to get offended over a completely new person failing to address him in a highly specific manner then he is not a very good instructor.

I once trained under a TKD instructor who adamantly insisted he be addressed as "dojunim" or Grand Master. Not "sir", not even Master, but Grand Master or the Korean term dojunim. He even bragged about kicking a guy out once because he only referred to him as "Master"! Looking back now, I can't beleive I put up with it. The guy was an a-hole with huge ego problems and not a very good instructor at all.

Now, I prefer to be on a first name basis with my instructor. At most I'll use the term "coach" or the art's original language equivalent (such as "sensei" which simply means teacher). My current Judo instructors are simply Sensei Bret and Sensei Dick. And even then, their not militant about the "sensei" part.

So, make sure your instructor is like my last 2 examples and not my first one.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The technically correct term would be Sabunim (That's a mangled spelling from how I remember it sounding), but I always called my TKD instructor Mr. Whatever. Anyone who wants more than that is a jackass.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    I don't like the whole crossing of terms and styles and uniforms, but some good teachers do that. If you don't care about being historically acurate to the style I don't think it matters.
    I think it matters a lot. If they insist on being called by a silly name, then it should at least be valid to the art practiced. I call my instructors by their first names, except my judo instructor. I call him sensei. Now if I called him sifu that would not make any sense, unless I was living in china.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Page 1 of 3 123 Last