Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 7:38am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I can maintain butterfly against him, I can barely manage to keep full guard for more than a few seconds if he's really trying to pass. I'm just happy knowing WTF was going on.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 8:23am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    He won't tell you? What the ****?
    My thoughts exactly. Every single person that I've rolled has explained me how they got me, what I did wrong and what to do to prevent it, and they remind me while we roll to defend against it.

I woulnd't be so polite with that douche bag, though. I would simply say, loud and clear for others to hear (including the instructor) that I don't want to roll with him since he keeps subbing me with the same sub and yet refuses to explain, and that I come to roll and learn, and not to be used as an ego-stroking sub dummy.

Chances are that if he does this to Kintanon, he also does it to others. Embarrassing his ego a little may actually wake him up to stop being such a gigantic ****** douchebag.

-- EDIT --

Another possibility is to talk to your instructor in private and explain your concern on this, and ask him to remind the others students next to explain their less experience partners how they got submitted and how they can defend against it next time, that this is not a sub tourney, but a school and they are all partners in it.

Again, my take is that this guy may not only do it to Kintanon but to others as well, and if there is a way to implement some corrective action, even if it involves calling him on it, the better for everybody involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    PizDoff: Does that move feel like a neck crank? I'm not getting choked by whatever he's doing... The arm position there looks right for the way it feels like he's grabbing me.
    It can be. When my instructor (or some other brown belt or purple) does it, it does feel like a choke. But when we drill it with some of the other guys, it feels like a neck crank even when I let them sink (while we drill it.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/30/2007 8:28am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 8:55am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, my next issue becomes, WTF do I do with him from my halfguard now? lol. That's a whole 'nother set of problems though. The guy outclasses me to a degree which is slightly annoying since he keeps subbing me with the same move. The other guys that dominate me that badly are kind enough to switch it up and sub me with different things, or point out what I should be doing instead of handing them submissions openings.

If I were you, this is what I would do: I would ask the instructor to set up a private lesson where you just go over the half guard position. I'm not a huge fan of privates because I learn more by rolling with a bunch of different people in regular class, but they are great on occassion if you have a specific technique or position you want detailed instruction on.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 9:04am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently Adam (School owner/instructor) is psychic, this is the second time that he's directly addressed something I was concerned about pretty much immediately after I started being concerned about it. So I don't think I need any privates just yet. Now that I know what's going on I can work on it with other people.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 9:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently Adam (School owner/instructor) is psychic, this is the second time that he's directly addressed something I was concerned about pretty much immediately after I started being concerned about it. So I don't think I need any privates just yet. Now that I know what's going on I can work on it with other people.
    I'm gonna start my own Time/Life book series on the BJJ Hivemind.

"Just as Johnny, in Kansas City, was thrusting his hips to secure the triangle on Jose for the 7th time during their epic roll Billy, in Sacramento, postured at the same time as Jose countered by posturing, breaking the triangle and passing Johnny's guard with knee through the middle....and somewhere, in the Brazilian rainforest in the canopy on top of a mammoth 70' palm tree, a wayward tear rolled down the grizzled face of Helio Gracie while harvesting Acia."
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123