Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good fight, props to you for taking on someone with a such a large weight and experience advantage.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 10:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as an aside being the amateur world champ doesnt mean all that much. I've defeated two IKF world champions(the 2006 one and the 2007 one). for these amateur things it's really just a matter of who enters the division. You can be a tournament world champ and have only 2 fights under you total, maybe even one. (dont know what your boys record was, but that could explain why he was intermediate if he only had a few fights.)
    That's good advice. Someone else told me the same thing, and I tried to take it to heart, since I too, once held a national championship (of a tiny organization). Unfortunatlely, this guy had way more experience in this field than me, so my shaking off of the intimidation didn't matter in the end.

which one are you? red stripe pants or the other?
    red stripe

It took me 30 seconds to determine that the freaking referee wasn't fighting. I kept thinking, "That **** doesn't look fair... since when are there 2 v 1 tournaments?"
    What was the time limit for the rounds? Was there a specific reason you guys were so frantic? I'm using to seeing that in 2 minute TKD rounds but I generally see a somewhat slower pace with even 3 minute rounds.
    Lol, one kid did accidentally hit the ref with a spinning kick. He was a good sport though. The rounds were 1 minute, 30 seconds. I don't know why it was so frantic; most of the fights were like that, now that I think about it. It was sponsored by a Kajukenbo school. Does that style name mean anything to you?

Jesus, there's like 5-6 people in the ring. That would **** me up. I already wind up tripping over one ref all the time.
    They felt it necessary to deploy a small army in the ring because the "ropes" were really police caution tape, and the "corners" were these wierd metal things, like you'd see at a construction site, very dangerous if you fell on one.

Worst ruleset ever.

With the rising popularity of MMA how do these bizarre limited rulesets survive?
    Give it time, when you consider the existence of non-contact, body-shot only point sparring, this is closer to MMA than you think. It might seem limited because of several pauses during the fight. Those only occured because my face guard kept turning around, and I had to adjust it so it wouldn't obstruct my view.

I'd consider it a stepping stone. Some people just arent ready to have someone trying to take their head off.
    If you're refferring to the faceguard thing, then yes! This event is a stepping stone toward true full contact.

Good fight, props to you for taking on someone with a such a large weight and experience advantage.
    Thanks, I've fought in different weight and height divisions before, and I never considered it a big deal, but in a continuous, semi-full contact fight, it makes a hell of a difference.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 8:37am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe I would refuse to fight in a ring that was primarily composed of discarded construction refuse. I'd rather fight in a "bullring" type setup where the boundaries are formed by the crowd. Also, 1.5 minute rounds are UNBELIEVABLY short, no wonder you guys were spazzing all over each other trying to score before time ran out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe I would refuse to fight in a ring that was primarily composed of discarded construction refuse. I'd rather fight in a "bullring" type setup where the boundaries are formed by the crowd. Also, 1.5 minute rounds are UNBELIEVABLY short, no wonder you guys were spazzing all over each other trying to score before time ran out.
    I read the part about the construction refuse like 5 times, still funny.

And it wasn't my choice to be spazzing out I would have backed off if the other guy had let me.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 12:09pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amateur fighters are almost always spaz machines. pretty much the only way to deal with it is to be more aggressive or have awesome ring generalship.

Personally I feel that concentrating on the latter will make one a more technical fighter, but one will also collect a number of losses that way from judges that interpret forward motion as effective offence. If you're going to be the fighter that backs up you have to make them miss a lot, dramatically, while you land clear countershots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 6:54pm

Style: BJJ/MMA - running away

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kudos for stepping up and competing and posting it for everyone to see.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12