Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 8:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um. Hi? I had **** to do, so I couldn't really check back that much. And, no I'm not trolling, I just wanted to get a question answered, so why don't you just climb off your high-horse and answer my question straight-up (though I must admit it was a slightly vague question). Besides, Kendo is the way of the SWORD, not the knife. We don't learn knife techniques at my budo, I've had to do my own research on that, so I'm not exactly the God of all knife fighting. As for the practicality of Kendo, I'll agree with you. I'd probably never use my Kendo training in a real-life situation. I'm just taking it so I can build up my upper body strength and lower body speed and stamina so that I'll have an easier time when I go into boxing. And as for the shittiness of my thread, I'm not exactly a veteran of this message board (as you can see this is only my second post). I don't know how things go down here, and I wasn't going to go to a thread called "newbie town" to figure out how **** happens. But bear in mind that this isn't my first agressive message board (I attend 4chan quite regularly). Also, I don't go to some little chicken-**** dojo where any LARPer can come in, swing around his shinai like half a retard, get treated with the "Everyones a winner" attitude, and have his mom buy his way to ju-dan. I practice my martial art at an actual dojo, not some punk-ass, strip-center, sweep-the-leg-Johnny place. So thanks for answering my question, I appreciate it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, dude if you really think that you're going to pick a fight with me then you've got something else coming. I'm 14! I haven't even completed my first year of Kendo training! I already know I suck and for all I know you could be the next Bruce Lee, so I'm certainly not going to fight you, so there's really no need to talk ****.

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 8:31pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No need for anyone to get their feelings hurt, let's keep this on track. As was said earlier, what you described isn't ringing any bells as far as Escrima/Kali/Arnis goes other than maybe some drills. If you happen to find any video of what you're describing please post it so we can have a reference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 8:32pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendork
    LOL, dude if you really think that you're going to pick a fight with me then you've got something else coming. I'm 14! I haven't even completed my first year of Kendo training! I already know I suck and for all I know you could be the next Bruce Lee, so I'm certainly not going to fight you, so there's really no need to talk ****.
    This is bullshido. LoL grow a thicker skin.
    **** talking is what we do.
    I ASSumed you were a JMA weapons practitioner who was shitting all over FMA.

Consequently ASSuming occasionally makes me look like an ass. so there we are.

I'm happy you found a non-LARPing place to learn Kendo. That's terrific.

Just remember the Martial Arts BS / Investigations forum is for serious debates/discussions/investigations regarding Fraud in the martial arts. Stick to the simple style forums if you have a innocent question regarding style.

Everyone busts balls here.
    Get used to it and Welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 8:48pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Thanks. That made for really good reading.

While you guys might not be the end all be all of knife-work, you guys do have the market fairly cornered. Admit it.
    You're welcome and fair enough.

Among Martial artists "In the know" perhaps. among the general public. Everyone still thinks Krav Maga or other RBSD is the ultimate d34dly. There are different reasons for this.. but that would be the topic for another thread like. "Why FMA is dying out in America."

My last question is the Sayoc and another kali system who's name escapes me at the moment. The rig with the multiple knives. Is that just to drill different carry positions or are they actually advocating the carry of 7 plus knives at a time? I don't have a problem with this, as crazy as it looks, but does that really make sense? If two won't save you, what are seven going to serve?
    Not even sure what "rig" or "system" you are referring to actually. but I agree with you. Idea of carrying 7 knives is stupid. Maybe they are the FMA equivalent of fringe nutjob paranoid RBSD fundamentalists. If you have a vid/pic/link that would be helpful

Most FMA places I know of don't even advocate carrying a knife normally. You learn to use one so you learn to respect it. and You can't defend against a knife unless you know it's capabilities.

FMA seminars if they do have a Self-defense / RBSD oriented section prefer to refer to everyday objects you'd have on your person that you could use.

ie. Using a shirt / belt if your going against a knife (in a confrontation scenario.. not a surprise scenario obviously)

using your car keys as a kuboton type item. things along those lines.
    Practicality and keeping it simple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 9:00pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My last question is the Sayoc and another kali system who's name escapes me at the moment. The rig with the multiple knives. Is that just to drill different carry positions or are they actually advocating the carry of 7 plus knives at a time? I don't have a problem with this, as crazy as it looks, but does that really make sense? If two won't save you, what are seven going to serve?
    As far as I can tell, and I'll need to ask my instructor about this to be sure, the rigs come in handy when we are sparring, and used in class, but not really for use outside of class. The reason they are useful for sparring is because if you are disarmed when sparring and you go to grab that knife you will get kicked in the face. Having the rigging just makes it easy for you to draw another knife, and another and another as the sparring continues. Of course its not 100% realistic, because if we were using real knives the fights would never last so long, so you wouldnt get disarmed 8 times in one kfight, but who the hell wants to spar with real knives. Those metal training knives hurt enough as it is lol.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendork
    I like this kid.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    You're welcome and fair enough.

Among Martial artists "In the know" perhaps. among the general public. Everyone still thinks Krav Maga or other RBSD is the ultimate d34dly. There are different reasons for this.. but that would be the topic for another thread like. "Why FMA is dying out in America."

Not even sure what "rig" or "system" you are referring to actually. but I agree with you. Idea of carrying 7 knives is stupid. Maybe they are the FMA equivalent of fringe nutjob paranoid RBSD fundamentalists. If you have a vid/pic/link that would be helpful

Most FMA places I know of don't even advocate carrying a knife normally. You learn to use one so you learn to respect it. and You can't defend against a knife unless you know it's capabilities.

FMA seminars if they do have a Self-defense / RBSD oriented section prefer to refer to everyday objects you'd have on your person that you could use.

ie. Using a shirt / belt if your going against a knife (in a confrontation scenario.. not a surprise scenario obviously)

using your car keys as a kuboton type item. things along those lines.
    Practicality and keeping it simple.
    Here's the rig: http://sayoc.com/store/images/accessories_harness.gif

Fucking hell, I guess I've been out of the "normal folks" loop for a while. Krav? Are you kidding? That sucks. And RSBD? Ewww. Of course I get a little pissed when I have people coming up to me asking me about the deadly Krav Maga israelis....I can only imagine how you guys feel.

I've been concentrating on BJJ at the moment, but I want to check some kali/escrima out when I get some disposable time.

Thanks for the answers, Variance and Songpower. Oh and Kendork, relax, everybody gets ridden hard the first time they post.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 1:41pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kendork, Sayoc Kali is a very, very effective knife style. And it is pure FMA. When it comes to the blade, I personally believe that the Philippines is the place to look. Just look at the diversity of the blades they have, and the blade styles. Few, if any countries, had as numerous variety in blades, from swords, knives, bolos, machetes to spears and axes, they have it all.

If you would like to see a realistic movie on Sayoc Kali, rent the Hunted with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro. This movie is about a military man trained in Sayoc Kali who wigs out and Tommy Lee Jones has to hunt him down. Very good stuff, very realistic.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 3:39pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhhhhhh. Sorta.

They clearly didn't teach the actors any footwork(not even how to sidestep), and aside from the use of a modified vital template halfway through the movie, you don't get the training methods(which are the main thing that differentiate sayoc knife work. In pure mechanics they're really hard to tell apart from lameco, pekiti or other close-range systems).
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast