Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/25/2003 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Q.) "How do I increase the power of my jabs?"

The jab is not meant to be powerful. It is meant to be a fast setup punch for a powerful cross. It would be more accurate to say it's just holding the place for a cross. The jab makes contact fast and stops a guy in place so the more powerful cross or hook has time to fly through the air and hit your opponent before he dodges.

It's like in volleyball. "Pass, set, slam!" The pass is defense, it stops his serve - then you get a guy who sets the ball for another guy to slam it. The setter doesn't power slam the ball. He just gets under it and bounces it up to a good position for the other guy to slam it. A jab is like that. It's a fast stunner that stops the target in place so you can smash it with your cross punch.

I know some boxers jab relantlessly, this is because boxing has rules and gloves and rounds and whatnot. They are trying to wear the guy down over the course of 12 rounds, a strategy not available in real fights. They are also blocking the guy's view with their glove, positioning him and holding him back. (Reach comes in handy here)

When guys can grab that arm you hold out there and jab with repeatedly, when he can shoot on you or clinch without getting seperated. When guys can kick you if you stay just out of range of their punches. When they are in a rage and not going to sit back and trade jabs with you - - the whole strategy of jab after jab goes out the window.

In tactical combat boxing (as opposed to sport boxing) it looks more like what you see when the boxers are really going at one another. It looks more like a Tyson fight and less like the "ring generals" you see dance around and tap guys all night for points.

Real fist fights last 30 seconds to a minute, not 12 rounds. Maybe 3 minutes at the very very most. Jabs are used less for wearing guys down and more for gaining an opening for your power punches.

In boxing, the jab is not your big gun. It's your stinger. If you want to improve its power then you are missing the whole point of having combonations. Jabs are fast, not powerful. Get used to it. Its their job.

That being said, if you want to be better at sport boxing, you might try dropping your shoulder into those jabs. I know it telegraphs your move a little but it turns taps into thumps. If you are jabbing by keeping your shoulders square and just shooting your arms out then you are throwing girly punches. Mix in some jabs where you put your shoulder into it and turn your waist. Punch with your body, not just your arms.

Also, don't turn your arm at the wrist. Keep your fist how it would be if it was your hand throwing a football. Natural. Like you are reaching out to grab something. Twist at the shoulder not at the wrist. tape a ruler across the bottom of your hand if you need to do that to see what I'm saying. Drive forward with your shoulder, letting your elbow turn upward. Shove forward with your back and turn your waist into it. Press into him. Step right in with the rest of your combonation. Engage. Don't just sit back and tag and run the whole round.

Study the way the arm moves in the really good boxers. Watch their footwork and their body during their strong jabs when they are really going after the guy. Don't watch the guys who are just holding their ground playing chess. That isn't fighting. In a real fight one of you is the aggresive one or maybe both, rarely do two guys play pattycake from a distance. Why practice like that?
    Last edited by 9chambers; 10/25/2003 11:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2003 11:15pm

Style: Mostly Striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hand speed/Punching power

Hi guys,

Hand speed is only part of the equasion, something that I feel that is the real key to being 'fast' is being able to read your opponent. If you can do that, then you don't need to 'out quick' him or her, because you've already started your counter attack before they launch theirs.

As to punching power, think of all the exercises where you simply 'target' beyond your opponent. Its a very simple training method for increasing the power of your punchines by quite a bit.

Rkonb
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/25/2003 11:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point. If your punch is already almost fully extended when you make contact then it isn't going to leave a dent. You should still have some of your "follow-through" left to follow through when you make contact so you can shove it right into him.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    10/25/2003 11:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Footwork...
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
  5. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/26/2003 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, footwork is important too. These guys are telling you how it is, listen to them.

You have to step into those punches. sometimes slide a leg back if you are close. If you aren't doing any of this stuff then you must just be starting out. If your coach doesn't have enough time to invest in teaching proper technique and footwork then you should get some books to suppliment your training, ask more questions during practice or find a new gym. I'm just saying.

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 1:02pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somewhat off topic but it is related to jabbing by boxers. Are any of you folks old enought to remember seeing Ali and Frazier get into a "real brawl". Howard Cossel (sp?) was interviewing them prior to a fight and Ali said some typical smart ass thing and before you knew it they slugging and wresting in front of and on top of poor Howard. Well everybody jumped in and pulled them off each other and they didnt get banged up to much although I wonder what Howards shorts looked like on the inside. What was interesting is that neither of them jabbed or weaved etc. They just pounded on each other (my bets where on Frazier to win this if they hadnt been broken up but who knows). While this could have been staged I dont think so, but again who knows.

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 1:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Footwork ( bodyweight displacement) is so VERY important.
    The fastest hands in the world won't do **** if that is all that is hitting you, good footwork adds the weight of the body and turns bam into POW !!!!!!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The turn at the wrist is done, in part, because it promotes cutting. This is true irrespective of wearing gloves.

Footwork? I can't dance and I can't jumprope, I can arm-punch with a hell of a lot of force though.:D
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 11:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you turn at the shoulder instead of the wrist it doesn't really effect the way the fist is positioned on impact. Your knuckles still face the cieling. You are just driving them in with your shoulder as opposed to holding your shoulders square and using the much smaller muscles in your arms to punch.

I am not talking about Wing Chun, I'm talking about boxing. I am not saying to turn your fist so the knuckles face out. That is just as contrived as turning at the wrist the other way. I am saying .. *sigh* this is so frustrating. I could show this to you in 5 seconds in person but on this thing I have to type for 15 minutes .. argh.. I'm not going to do it tonight.

I'll continue this later.
  10. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/28/2003 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Okay, stand in your average boxing guard stance. Something like the picture above. (not me) Stand with your front toe touching the wall. Now shove the wall, you should end up shoving yourself backwards.

Now try this. Push the wall like you are pushing a car, only not so low. Think of it as pushing a refrigerator maybe .. push on the wall at face level. To get any force in your push you should have to let one leg slide back a little and push off of it. The front leg is not against the wall anymore either. Your shoulders should be raised some and slightly forward. Your elbows should be slightly bent and not locked. Now take your arms off of the wall and let your front foot move so you feel balanced but not your back foot.

Now press on the wall with just your front side fist. Turn your fist slightly so that your index finger knuckle makes a little pyramid as it points toward the cieling. Now, reposition your back leg slightly wider than it is .. to the side a little. Then bend at the elbow until your elbow is facing out sideways, then turn your fist slightly back horizontal. Keep pressing against the wall and then throw a cross with your other arm. Then step forward with your back leg and throw another cross. This is a basic three puynch combonation that I use. Do it again slowly, jab, cross, cross. Your jaw should be behind your shoulders not because you turtle your neck but because your shoulders are raised and pushing forward and your back is pushing forward and not straight.

* Don't actually hit the wall hard or it could hurt a little.

This is a crude way to kind of show you where I am coming from .. you are pressing into the punch with your body and driving it in with your shoulders, back, waist and back foot. Depending on how you angle your body, the fist could end up verticle, horizontal or any angle in between. I bring it in at a little angle because it catches the nose just right to break it that way. Hitting the nose on the side is the way to go. A straight jab won't break it as easy.

This is all just boxing. Nothing fancy. It's not Wing Chun.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 10/28/2003 12:21am at .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast