Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left the kuksool school as a black belt and joined the JKD concepts school in the same town.

The head instructor at the kuksool school had my name removed from the plaque of black belts on the wall. He and I had the same instructor and when our instructor sold the school, I stayed on as an assistant to him. But he must not have liked it when I left.

My JKD instructors heard what happened and said "that ain't right. you helped him all those years and he erases you!? WTF?" To which I replied "the less people who know I trained in Suck Tool, the better!"
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Its the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 1:18pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is only one instructor I'm not on speaking terms with. That is my first judo instructor. He hates me with a passion. Simply because I called him on some bull he was teaching.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 10:28pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    There is only one instructor I'm not on speaking terms with. That is my first judo instructor. He hates me with a passion. Simply because I called him on some bull he was teaching.
    I'm obviously biased in terms of Judo instructors since I immensely respect mine on a personal level but generally the sport seems pretty well regulated, what kind of bullshit was he teaching?

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 6:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    ISo I said something to the guy. His attitude changed prety quick.

Did you start out with "Look here, m0th3r fuck3r...."

Usually a conversation starting with those four magic words gets the attention of most of those who prefer doing krotty in the mirror.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Its the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 7:12am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNKtastic
    I'm obviously biased in terms of Judo instructors since I immensely respect mine on a personal level but generally the sport seems pretty well regulated, what kind of bullshit was he teaching?
    Mostly just poor ground technique. I spent a few months in bjj after doing judo for about a year and realized almost everything he said about the ground game was wrong. Eventually many students also came with me to bjj and saw the same thing. For example, the correct (and only in his words) way to defend/escape a triangle choke is to lift the person of the ground. The guard is a worthless position only used to stall (even after I armbared him from there). That he had never been tapped to a choke (only to get tapped by another student also training in bjj). He taught the one arm in guard pass and after I traingled his brown belts for it, got on to me for using that gracie ****. Saying that would never work against a good judo man.

He would constantly tell us how much we sucked and how one day he was going to take us to work out with real judoka.

Don't get me wrong, the guy knew his stand up game. Plus he was a huge man. But you could tell he never spent any serious time learning anything on the ground, it showed. He would just use his fat ass to hold you down and wait for a ref. Once I realized that was his game, I knew how to defeat it, and he couldn't cope with his ego of his 'sucky' white and green belt students tapping out him and his black belt students. So he threw us all out.

I've sense found much better judo instructors. Some who even tear me apart on the ground.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by attakmint
    you could do worse, i studied under Rudy Abel.
    Please elaborate.

As for my relationship with former instructors...

Judo: met an old judoka at my club, a gentleman of around 70-75 who would coach me when I was about twelve. We were both watching a shotokan championship at the club, he recognized me, and we talked for a while; he congratulated me for keeping with martial arts (I was doing MT at the time). Great guy. I did judo for ten years.

Praying Mantis: I only did six months of Praying Mantis McDojo. Never heard of the guy again.

Wing Chun: two years of McDojo as well. The teacher was a nice guy but allowed no sparring and the intensity of the training was pathetic. Never heard of the guy again, but I once got into an e-fight with one of his students over the quality of the coaching there, so I suppose he has heard of me.

Muay Thai: three years of quality Muay Thai. I left at the beginning of this year because, frankly, I was starting to get bored, and I decided Id rather work on my grappling after all those years since judo (now Im doing BJJ and some Kali/Self Defense classes). I still keep in touch with my old instructor, hes an excellent guy and I pay him a visit whenever I can make it.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 8:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've made a point of not being involved with my old 'Ninjutsu' instructor (Kevin Hawthorne School)

But from what some of my mates have said (who still do it) He took the time in class to call me a quitter and talk down about BJJ after he heard I was doing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 8:27pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WC lawyer, where do you train BJJ? Ryan Gracie school by any chance?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 10:47pm

Style: mozambique drill

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a thread in Newbietown with a bunch of my experiences with Rudy back in 2000-2001. I lost contact with him in early 2002. Then a few weeks ago I ran across this website and found out about t3h dr4m4, which surprised me because he seemed like a nice guy, and while maybe not the most appreciative of the UFC and other MMA events, he seemed OK. I stopped the martial arts when I picked up lacrosse instead.

Anyways, I'll try to see if I can roll with the BJJ club at my university, and after I finish lacrosse for the year (my last year). If I stay in the area after graduation, my closest BJJ school happens to be Rickson's, so I figure that's not a bad place to start.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FUNKtastic: nope, I train under Leonardo Kobbaz, a BJJ blackbelt under Rocian Gracie. Who got HIS blackbelt from Carlson.

attakmint: thanks, Ill look it up.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast