Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 6:09am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left my old TKD school because suprisingly enough it was a McDojo. I found one that wasnt so I joined. It is closer to the house and a better training environment (though it is leaning towards McDojo daily)

The old instructor saw me at a tourney and wouldnt speak to me or my kids. My son took TKD from this guy and loves him. It really hurt the boys feelings because he didnt understand.
    So I said something to the guy. His attitude changed prety quick. At least towards the kids.

Oh well, **** 'em...they teach TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 6:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNKtastic
    Would you be willing to elaborate on the legal issues?

It had nothing to do with my leaving. The teachers aren't pervs, no one has been molested, raped, or abused in any shape, way or form. Trust me, your kids are safe.
    It involved someone who did something outside of class and unrelated to the school. Other than that, no, I actually cannot by order of my boss. I only mentioned it to elaorate a bit on the fact that there were things outside of my control which precipitated my leaving the studio. It's not like I just woke up one day and said "oh well, I hate Kung Fu so I'm quitting after three years of training and instucting."
    Last edited by gangrelchilde; 10/27/2007 6:52am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 6:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my old TKD instructors drinks in my bar. I had a chat with him recently about my Judo and wanting to enter for a full contact kickboxing match. We ended up discussing it and he said:

"So what happens if someone lands a spinning heel to their opponents temple and they die?"

I just told him that doesnt actually happen and that people arent that fragile and he just shrugged and nodded his head. He's spent 20 years being taught all about how deadly TKD strikes to pressure points are and I guess in some part of his brain he knows its **** really. He's a great guy though.

My other TKD instructor just hates me because as one of his blackbelts I wasn't supposed to be vocal about his kid blackbelts and stupid prices.

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 9:10am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It usually doesn't work out when student leaves to form own school. They talk BS on how they want the students to learn and spread the art, but when one takes them up on it, they turn weird and the break- up is not cordial.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to avoid the politics. Obviously I am on non-speaking terms with my old Kempo dojo, but some people have come and gone from my Jiu-Jitsu place, and as long as they get on the mat and train, I'll still talk and be on good terms with them.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 8:20pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

I can understand when they get bitter, they put time and energy into you and then you leave, and that can often be seen as "You're not as good as these other people, so I'm gonna go learn from them." At the same time, you know what's best for you and what you want to do, what you can afford, and how much time you can devote to it - which leads to travel issues in your case.

It's not like you're jumping around learning different schools' techniques and then entering a major tournament (styles don't even overlap in that case). And if they pull that honor or loyalty bullshit, that shouldn't make you feel bad either, because it's not like you're going around talking **** about your former schools or keeping students from going there.

You did your best to keep up relations, if they don't reciprocate, just move on, not worth the worry and stress.
    I see where you are coming from but it wasn't a matter of anyone putting time an effort into me, I paid and was taught, this wasn't the kind of place that had people practicing and rolling after class with people around you could ask stuff. Not that it was discouraged, it just didn't happen much. Plus I was always the one volunteering to help with random stuff around the gym and the reason I left wasn't even that my schedule changed, it was that the schedule I was led to believe would be in effect (and changed my schedule to work around) was abandoned within a week of me starting school.

I don't expect more from them, I am a paying customer and I ceased to be one, I'm sure the schedule shifting as it brought more money to the place and didn't affect most students. Noon classes wasn't the bread and butter since most of the suits came at night, my problem was the shift in which days were noontime. The only thing is comparing the two places I left, I noticed one was much more interested in keeping up a rapport where as the other's communication with me once I left was limited to a private lesson sales pitch.

So I was wondering what kind of interaction other's have with former schools/mates.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 11:08pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left my jujutsu dojo because my instructor was a twat. He was all about the "go out and try other styles", knowing that most of the other schools around were ****. When I started judo and stuck with it in addition to jujutsu, he did everything to convince me how **** it was. I joined the army and he began to make subtle digs at me trying to undermine me and bring me down. Looking back the dojo is very small and quite cultish at times, so when I went back on base after a break I never spoke to him again. If I met him now, I have a fairly strong feeling there would be a large sense of hostility from him. He has had some very talented and hard working students do the same in the past, and when I started I figured they were just quitters. When it came time for my turn, I understood their reasoning. My ex instructor still hasn't wised up as to why people who train hard there tend to just up and leave, he probably never will because he always has to be the alpha male, the big man.
    I still speak to the senior student there, he was and continues to be like a brother to me and although I have never told him exactly the reasons why I left I know he has a very good idea.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 11:44pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WT. WT, WT, WT.
    I never hear from my instructors now although I had a friendly relationship with them all. I suspect this is because I have been rabidly, unrelentingly and viciously WT bashing since I left, and I quite blatantly had a recognizable picture on my Zoints profile. I know they were aware of Bullshido.
    Oh well. I hope it gave them some fuel for thought anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 10:25am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    College JJJ/shotokan teacher: still friendly relations

More recent Kenpo dojo: left on bad terms, some my fault, some theirs--bad blood for all.

Inosanto JKD concepts place: learned a ton here, good basic striking, good grappling, the kali part was fun, even if it wasn't "t3h d34dl33". I left to train Judo/BJJ at another school, mostly because I could train in the same class with my son in Judo. I feel kind of bad about leaving, but it was mostly because of scheduling/money. Still friendly with instructors/students.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before signing up at SBGa, I took 3 months of Karate from a friend I still train sword with. While I think he has a pretty good training program, combining Karate, Judo and Jujitsu, it just wasn't quite the intensity level I was looking for, at least in the beginner classes. Since we're friends, out of respect I try not to advertise the fact that I moved to another gym when I'm at his dojo.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast