Style
    Sambo, MT, Buj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

need some help with aliveness training

I decided to post this in here so I wouldn't get ass-raped. Several of my friends and I used to train in Bujinkan when we were younger, and we recently started up again. We also all train in sambo/no-gi grappling, san shou, and some muay thai now, so we decided we didn't want to larp anymore.

I've already searched for this several times and I have found threads dealing with training buj with aliveness, but we live in pennsylvania, and the only school i've found that trains alive is david dow's school out in LA. I also don't think my instructor is very willing to start training alive since our class is mainly inexperienced people. So, we're planning on trying to train it alive outside of class, or at least do drills with a lot of resistance. my question is, does anyone have any tips on how to start doing this? or does anyone have any experience with this?

OmegaBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Son Shi, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    BJJ/Shidokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure you have already read all of Matt Thornton's resources but if you haven't:
    http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=251
    http://www.straightblastgym.com/
    http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Style
    Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Intergrate resistence after learning the techniques in the dojo. For instance have your opponent try to foil your attempts and working the technique, then intergrate it into limited sparring (such as both people trying to secure the technique), then if you can get it work try it in free sparring.

Style
    Sambo, MT, Buj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the replies guys. I have read most of the stuff by matt thornton that i can find, but thanks for the links, I'm looking into them now. and to seany, that's pretty much what we've been doing so far, just resistance drilling the techniques, we haven't worked in any free sparring yet, but we plan to eventually.

Style
    ^_^
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How in the **** are you doing sambo and muay thai with no sparring yet?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He probably means he doesn't spar in bujinkan.

I'd like to point out that being a beginner is no excuse for not training alive. I sparred on my first judo session in both tachi and newaza and I sparred on my first BJJ session. I don't hold high hopes for "alive bujinkan", I think what you'll end up with is something that more resembles sambo and muay thai.

Style
    Sambo, MT, Buj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, i don't think being a beginner is an excuse either, that's why we're trying to work our buj stuff alive. we already spar in sambo and muay thai, so that's not really an issue. we're trying to specifically work the bujinkan stuff alive, to see if it actually has any merit. since most of the stuff we're learning is basically like traditional japanese jujutsu, our alive training has looked like crappy judo so far...

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Shi
    since most of the stuff we're learning is basically like traditional japanese jujutsu, our alive training has looked like crappy judo so far...
    Perfectly stated. This was my experience with Vee Arnis Jujitsu (mostly JJJ focused I later came to learn). The more resistance you throw in the more absurd and useless the JJJ self-defense techniques seem.

From my observations and training this is due to the fact that JJJ seems to be focused on the end result of the technique, i.e., a completely dominated and obliterated opponent. Where as BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, etc... focus on the minutia of set-ups, positioning, kazushi, and transitioning which will allow you to eventually dominate, submit, or throw a resisting opponent.

Good luck making the Buj work under an alive setting. You will have a lot of technical gaps to fill in between "point A" and "point Z" in the buj techniques to get them to work on a fully resistant opponent.