Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first step into the world of kickboxing

Hey everybody, this is the story of what happened yesterday, at an IKF "Point Kickboxing" tournament in Antioch, CA.

Hosted by: http://www.guilakarate.com/
    Sanctioned by: http://ikfpkb.com/

Before I tell you about my fight, let me tell you about the event itself. It was held in a small dojo that basically had three rooms, a trainng room, a changing room, and an office. There was only one ring, so there could only be one fight at a time. The tournament was supposed to start a 10:00, but it didn't start until 12:30, two and a half hours late. Why? Because the rep from IKF, Johnny "Superfoot" Davis couldn't find the place (hell, neither could I), and the Sifu of the dojo got there even later.

Alright, so after waiting for three hours (I got there a 9:00), some fights finally started, little kids of course. Now what "point" kickboxing means is that matches are decided by having at least two rounds, the winner chosen by who had the best of three. There are no knockouts. Most of these little kids just rushed at each other. Whoever landed the first hit would continue to bash on the other one until he backed him into the ropes. It was actually pretty funny to watch.

Now, for reasons beyond my control, the latest I could be there was 4:30, then I had to get back to Sacramento, so at 3:00, I asked Johnny Davis if we could skip to my division. He said it was ok because we thought there was just two people in my division. It turned out there was three, so one of us would have a bye.

The guy who I was supposed to fight didn't understand what "immediate" meant, and he thought he had twenty minutes to warm up, so he went off to god-knows-where. I ended up having to fight Logan Kilgore, who happened to be the IKF World Champion in his division, 15-17 boys.

Now picture this. I, Jonathan, a 5'11, 145 lbs, 1st time competitor (who signed up to fight in the beginner division, but was put in intermediate), versus Logan, a 6'3, 180 lbs, world champ (who somehow ended up in the intermediate division), with a homefield advantage. I knew there was little chance I would win, but hell, I paid $25 bucks to fight, so I'm damn well gonna fight.

Needless to say, I clearly lost, but I think I did fairly well for a first timer against a world champ. I got in a few good shots (including a few nice kicks to the head), but he got in ten hits for every three or four of mine. When we were in striking distance, I never backed up (voluntarily). I just kept attacking until he got in a strike that was solid enough to force me back.

All in all, it was an interesting experience. Good way to break out of the "point sparring universe". I might reccomend these tournaments to you guys, just not the one at this dojo, too poorly organized.

P.S.
    I'm not sure whether or not I fell asleep on the car ride home, or just passed out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 6:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh wait, you guys want a video, don't you?

Gimme a few minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 12:59am

Style: Krotty/Crapple/Goonery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well..............?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2007 11:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, sorry about that. I couldn't figure out how to embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBiCcN1e96M

EDIT: I AM THE ONE WITH THE RED STRIPE DOWN HIS PANTS.
    Last edited by falconhunter202; 10/30/2007 10:27pm at .

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 12:19am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as an aside being the amateur world champ doesnt mean all that much. I've defeated two IKF world champions(the 2006 one and the 2007 one). for these amateur things it's really just a matter of who enters the division. You can be a tournament world champ and have only 2 fights under you total, maybe even one. (dont know what your boys record was, but that could explain why he was intermediate if he only had a few fights.)

not saying that to take away from anything anyones done. I'm certainly proud of my amateur titles. But all the same, dont let the "world champion" stuff make you more afraid of someone.

I'm on my way to bed at the moment but I'll watch your vid and comment on technical stuff tomorrow.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 10/30/2007 12:23am at .

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 11:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    which one are you? red stripe pants or the other?
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 12:04pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It took me 30 seconds to determine that the freaking referee wasn't fighting. I kept thinking, "That **** doesn't look fair... since when are there 2 v 1 tournaments?"
    What was the time limit for the rounds? Was there a specific reason you guys were so frantic? I'm using to seeing that in 2 minute TKD rounds but I generally see a somewhat slower pace with even 3 minute rounds.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus, there's like 5-6 people in the ring. That would **** me up. I already wind up tripping over one ref all the time.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 12:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worst ruleset ever.

With the rising popularity of MMA how do these bizarre limited rulesets survive?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd consider it a stepping stone. Some people just arent ready to have someone trying to take their head off.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast