Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:19pm

Style: Vocals

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Beginner's Whey

Hi,

I'm just beginning to investigate whey protein in general and was wondering if anyone has heard any negative about it? I know that overconsumption of protein is not a good idea.

Thanks!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's food dude. How deep of an investigation are you doing?

I've heard tons of negative things about whey. That it's a steroid, that it will make your kidneys explode, that it's cheating, that it costs way too much, that it stunts your growth, that it makes you too big, that it makes your muscles look ugly, etc etc. None of these things are true in the slightest, but I've heard them.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 11:46pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO, the best thing is a well-rounded diet. You won't know unless you track it for a while. If you get to the end of the day and you don't have enough in the protein column... whey is as good as anything.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    IMHO, the best thing is a well-rounded diet. You won't know unless you track it for a while. If you get to the end of the day and you don't have enough in the protein column... whey is as good as anything.
    If you're using whey for that, you're wasting money. Whey is much more efficient as a means of post workout nutrition than as simply "additional protein". If you want more protein for the sake of having more protein, drink your milk.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 7:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The great thing about whey protein for "balancing the books" is that you can get a lot of protein without the carbs or fat. Milk has a lot of carbs and fat to go with the protein. Meat usually brings a lot of fat. Soya protein has more carbs (at least the concoctions I've seen). Plus, whey is convenient.

As for the advantages for post-workout... tell me more.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 7:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need carbs to deliver the protein dude, and fat is good for you, no point in avoiding all that stuff.

You can't just "balance the books". Your body doesn't store all the macronutrients over the course of the day and wait for you to go to sleep before it decides to use them. You need every meal to have protein, carbs and fats. If you put off your protein until the very end of the day and then drink a whey shake, you're just going to be wasting money and pissing out protein.

To understand the value of whey protein, give this a read over

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/laywindownon.php
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 7:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I gave it a read. Still not sure what to think. :icon_scra

Personally, I wouldn't take just protein... that stuff tastes like ****. I would throw in some milk and fruit. Good point about the carbs and fats.

The thing I'm not sure about in the article is that it seems to be targeted toward bodybuilding and not strength training in particular. My athletic training background is endurance sports, so I don't have that much experience to go on. On a good day I was "wiry", but never powerful.

There did seem to be a lot more consensus on training for aerobic capacity and endurance. There sure seems to be a lot of contradictory opinions when it comes to strength.
    - Voltaire

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 8:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I gave it a read. Still not sure what to think. :icon_scra

Personally, I wouldn't take just protein... that stuff tastes like ****. I would throw in some milk and fruit..
    The article doesn't suggest just taking protein either. You mix it with dextrose and maltodextrin. I assure you, if you mix in the amounts suggested in the article, your shake will taste fine.

The thing I'm not sure about in the article is that it seems to be targeted toward bodybuilding and not strength training in particular.
    Dude, I give **** all about bodybuilding. The point of that article isn't about getting a perfect outer quad sweep or fully developed three heads of the deltoids or a perfect bicep peak, it's about maximizing muscle gains post workout through proper nutrition, which regardless of your athletic endeavors, is essential. After strength training, you want to capitalize your gains as much as possible. Sure, some may argue that the claims about muscle catabolism are a little exaggerated, but the points are still relevant in that after you invest all the effort in training, you owe it to yourself to get the most from your training.

There sure seems to be a lot of contradictory opinions when it comes to strength
    In what way? Most literature I've read seems to suggest the same thing: lift heavy stuff and get stronger. Sure, some may argue about specific rep ranges, and some may talk about "functional strength" (as opposed to that other stuff), but the basis is still the same.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 12:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure, some may argue that the claims about muscle catabolism are a little exaggerated
    The stuff about cortisol levels and such threw me a bit.

Maybe my difficulty in deciphering the strength training equation is Internet signal to noise ratio. When I was training cycling it was pre-internet and I was guided by my own study and reading plus the help of a coach.

Anyways, thanks for the posts. I know I was derailing the tread a bit, but hopefully other people find this useful.
    - Voltaire

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 3:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries. Strength training is only as complicated as people wanna make it. People get paralysis by analysis so much that they forget that sometimes, you need to just shut up and get under the iron. There's a lot of overly complicated crap to sift through.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast