Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 6:29pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The return of Gracie

Apparently Rickson will return to MMA, despite being 47, and out of competition since 2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFightNetwork
    Tanigawa announced Wednesday plans for Rickson Gracie’s return to MMA next spring. The FEG president said he hoped to have Gracie fight the winner of the New Year’s Eve match between Sakuraba and Funaki.

“I want to have Rickson fight as soon as possible next year,” he said. “Even if it is not in our ring, even [if it is] in another organization, I would send these champions to fight.”

While FEG had been building toward a Gracie-Sakuraba match for its New Year’s Eve show, it appears Funaki requested a big-name Japanese fighter for his return to MMA. “I’ve already lost once to Rickson, so Sakuraba is the better choice,” Funaki said. FEG went along with his request and decided Gracie would instead face the winner of the Funaki-Sakuraba match in the spring of 2008.

Funaki retired after a win over Tony Petarra in 1999, then returned to battle Gracie a year later; he was left unconscious by a rear-naked choke, as Gracie improved to 11-0. Neither man has fought since.

If Funaki is able to conquer the skillful but aging Sakuraba, a rematch with the 47-year-old Gracie could be next. If Sakuraba, nicknamed “The Gracie Hunter,” emerges victorious, he will have a chance to take his fifth victory over a Gracie in a match many believe is well overdue.
    http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=5220
    I realize its Rickson, and that people who train with him still say he's the best at BJJ they've ever seen, but does anyone really care anymore, I personally think the Gracie era is over.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think people are just starting to care, more time goes passed the more hype will go to building there legend. In 10 years time I promise you we will be hearing of how Helio once choked out a bull with a triangle.

Plus people will pay big bucks for a gracie fight.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 6:43pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God, I can't stand to see Sakuraba fight anymore. The guy is a LIVING legend, let's keep it that way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 7:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tkd, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, when I read "The return of Gracie" I certainly didn't think you were going to say Rickson.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:14pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rickson must have seen some beachfront property and came up a little short, so he said "what the hell, even if I lose, it's $$$". Watch, when these guys get older they'll be the same kind of belt factory that the Kukiwon was. This is all about money, but then again, it always is.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 10:18pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't there some younger gracies?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 10:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Aren't there some younger gracies?
    Rolles just had his first fight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1FWYLvmG0w

Igor did too, but the video got taken down.

Gracie bashing is as stupid as gracie nutriding. They're just fighters descended from a storied line of fighters. Get over it. Not directing that at anyone in particular.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sort of thing happens only because there is no lucrative trading card signing circuit for these old farts to work on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 12:11am

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roger armbarred Ron Waterman for Bodog back in December '06.

That was his 1st MMA fight and, near as I can tell, he hasn't fought MMA since then.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 6:12am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every 6 months Rickson is supposed to fight someone...it never happens.

It never will.

It just makes sense...the gracies have said since jump that Rickson was their best. He has fought well enough that it is believable. Why would you ever put your undefeated dude out there where it is possible he could lose when most people say is 400-0?

You don't and you won't.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast