Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate vs Kickboxing

Hello,

I am a noob, so I am doing the done thing and posting in newbietown.

I guess this is a question often asked, so if someone could direct me to the relevant thread I would be grateful!

Anyway, I am looking to take up either Karate or Kickboxing, so would welcome some advice on which is best, and why?

Thanks

AikidoBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! jedipuke posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it probably helps if I was to read the sicky at the top before I post, not after!!
    Anyway, I am after advice about which style to choose, and not start a rant about which is better for this and that.

Cant seem to delete the post or thread, so can those that can do so, with my apologies!

Bye

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the probability standpoint, I'd say kickboxing. Generally karate has problems with poor training methods, focus on kata, no continuous sparring and this bleeds over into the techniques and tactics they teach. There are good karate schools though, especially kyokushin, there are also bad kickboxing schools that do little more than glorified boxercise.

I'd say kickboxing because when you get two guys to have it out it doesn't matter what "style" they do, it ends up looking like kickboxing so I figure you should just train in styles that stick to fight-specific training methods.

If there were two particular clubs that you had in mind, check them both out and compare how they train. Do they spend large amounts of time doing forms in the air? Do they spar? Does the training progress smoothly from low resistance to high, to free sparring?