Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 5:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hiatus - moving soon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

supporting arm punching in silat

Hello everyone, I don't have any experience in silat (other than a few FMA knife classes), but I did see something which I don't understand and haven't been able to find an explanation for. I tried the search function and didn't find anything about it, so maybe you folks know and can explain. So here it is: why do silat-ers (is that a word?) grab hold of their forearm to punch? I've seen this in many silater pictures but most notably in MA mags with Joseph Simonet. So....what's the self-forearm grab for?

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 5:40pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen it in Mande Muda......I guess it would make sense for a knife movement?

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

pic found

I found a pic of what I'm referring to: http://www.kifightingconcepts.com/BB_9-2003.htm.

The text mentions something about it being a carry over from the MA creator who was reportedly physically disabled. But I'm still not sure about how/when it would be used or how effective it would be.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blade styles often use the palm, forearm etc to reinforce the spine of the blade when cutting a target. Silat uses similar motions in armed and unarmed fighting, so I'm guessing that's where it comes from. I'm really not sure why they would do that without a weapon, though. In the pictures he shows using the elbow frame with a hand for reinforcement and that works okay, but I'm not sure how that would apply to punching. With the frame, the other hand is often at the bicep and it looks like its reinforcing it, but really its just a place for the hand to be, like holding the off hand at the jaw or cheekbone in boxing.

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 2:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so you're saying it may have meaning in an armed circumstance, but it's performed that way in both armed/unarmed. Hmm, I didn't get a chance to get that far into FMA knife stuff (I only took a few classes) so I'll have to take your word for it.

Also, it sounds like it's not a common thing across a lot of the silat arts. Is this right?

BTW, I've boxed a little and holding your non-punching hand at your cheek helps prevent getting punched in the face (as much). It's not really a 'marker' position for the sake of being a 'marker' position.

Thanks for the feedback.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1971
    Ok, so you're saying it may have meaning in an armed circumstance, but it's performed that way in both armed/unarmed. Hmm, I didn't get a chance to get that far into FMA knife stuff (I only took a few classes) so I'll have to take your word for it.

Also, it sounds like it's not a common thing across a lot of the silat arts. Is this right?
    It often appears to be a common thing in silat, but it isn't. The hand is in a similar position, but its not exactly reinforcing. For an idea of how it works armed, imagine you have a saber and you're going to cut backhand across someone's stomach. If you just try to draw cut it, the pressure will cause the blade to bend back towards your thumb. Now, instead you place your left hand across the spine and do the same thing. The blade won't bend back at all and you can really lever into it using both hands.

BTW, I've boxed a little and holding your non-punching hand at your cheek helps prevent getting punched in the face (as much). It's not really a 'marker' position for the sake of being a 'marker' position.
    Its not exactly a marker for the sake of being a marker in silat either. Lots of silat defenses will come from that position, just like stonewalling works from a position near the cheek.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 3:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Xingyi, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in no way an expert, but the reasons are to reinforce, help drive, and prevent diversion. It's a common sense way to avoid attempts at wrist locks, standing arm bars, etc.. Certainly not a great idea to march forward with it like a robot, but you will get a hell of a power shot if you can place it. I have been told the root was blade fighting, but I've met people that can make it work to good effect in empty-handed sparring. Hope that helps.

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 8:28pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Selfcritical, I haven't seen it in the Mande Muda nor have I seen it in the little Maphilindo I've seen either. Maybe IndoChinese has in kuntao.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 9:40am

Style: KunTao & Kettlebells

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its farily common in several Silat systems, Sera/Serak (Bukti Negara) and CiMande come to mind but there are probably others. Its not really for punching per say, although it can be used that way, its more for entering and taking a line. Its utilizing the concept of one hand not going into combat without the other. There are many uses for this, but basically its to back up reinforce/parry/check etc. as you enter in on an attack.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 6:50pm

Style: JJ, Karate, JKD, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its for "wiping" when you make a windshield motion usually to block/fire the other hand, also take away the top hand and you have a very quick straight jab/chop combo...it can be used for positioning and is suited well for certain techniques.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast