Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:15pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

80% of Taichi is Wrestling

Said by Tim Cartmell, Internal Martial Arts instructor, Author of passing the guard, BJJ blackbelt, s ilver medalist in the World Championships of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at black belt level, won Pan-American Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament twice as well as winning the prestigious Copa Pacifica de Jiu Jitsu seven times.

From a seminar review of his:

"Taijiquan is a grappling art. Tim's research has shown him that 80% of Taiji is wrestling. Push hands was a sort of kumi kata in Taiji's practice, from which a wide variety of throwing techniques would flow. Over time, he believes that as skilled practitioners understood the application of throwing techniques amongst one another, that push hands essentially evolved into the somewhat benign pushing that we see today. It was a kind of "I know you got me on that one" type understanding, that avoided constantly being spiralled into the ground by your training partner. He believes that style of training eventually became par for the course, and over time the majority of practitioners simply stopped practicing real grappling and throwing, leading to what we see the bulk of Taiji practice is today. "

http://www.shenwu.com/cgi-bin/discus...=/20/3110.html

I really want to check this guy out sometime. Everyone says he is the real deal, even here on bullshido. Of course most people don't do taichi in this way, but it does make sense that the root of tai chi was alog those lines.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "At the end of the session Tim opened it up for questions. Several folks asked specific questions about techniques from several Taiji styles. Tim showed how certain popular and well known moves from the forms are actually the entry to and follow through on several throws, several of which would be familiar to judoka, without a gi and a slightly different approach to "fitting in.""

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:25pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    "At the end of the session Tim opened it up for questions. Several folks asked specific questions about techniques from several Taiji styles. Tim showed how certain popular and well known moves from the forms are actually the entry to and follow through on several throws, several of which would be familiar to judoka, without a gi and a slightly different approach to "fitting in.""
    Tends to lend support to there being grappling in standup kata. :P
    Of course, I dont think most of the people who make that point train anything like the way Tim does, or can back it up like he can.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Chen is still crazy with the chin'na, even in forms. At least, I've yet to encounter a posture which, when we go over it, doesn't involve me ending up on the ground with my forearm wrapped around my own neck somehow in the first few demonstrations. (I'm my class's practice dummy for complex reasons.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:28pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    Tends to lend support to there being grappling in standup kata. :P
    Of course, I dont think most of the people who make that point train anything like the way Tim does, or can back it up like he can.
    I think there must be a reason that Taijiquan is/was considered such a deadly matial art by the movie industry, and I think that awesome spiraling throws would definitely make me believe that it was badass. Maybe he's actually found something...

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    80% of tai chi is really bad wrestling.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    Maybe he's actually found something...
    I dunno if "found" is the right word. The stuff is there it's not been lost. It's just not popular. Think of, perhaps, the relationship between BJJ and Judo: much of BJJ's groundfighting is in Judo, but various forces such as Judo becoming more strictly a sport in the wake of the Second World War, led to more energy being spent on perfecting the throws than the groundwork. A separate evolution happened in Brazil.

Same with taiji external forces from the Cultural Revolution to fat royalty to "New Age" thought changed the emphasis, but nothing vanished. Taiji isn't all that ancient; major figures like Chen Fake were active in the twentieth century and were photographed and recorded while playing taiji, taught publicly, competed, etc. We're only up to, I think, the twentieth generation of discipleship. (There may be a few 21ers out there.) Techniques don't fade that quickly. It's just that foolishly IMO too many people are only interested in taiji for the cultivational aspects. And that is foolish as the cultivational aspects don't work as well without an exercise of the martial aspects.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Oh boy, here we go again...

Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Oh boy, here we go again...

Must really suck to be wrong huh?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL!

MY MERRY GO ROUND PIC

I WAS ABOUT TO POST THAT ****
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast