Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adon4Ever
    Okay, most of the people I take class/train with work hard while they're there. And they're a pretty decent bunch of folks. And I'm not trying to make myself out to be the perfect student, or the Champ of my gym. Or even my class. I'm sure I'm FAR from that LOL.

But there seem to be a few people that will often come in. But don't seem to be too interested in training. Or working at this stuff. For one thing, these guys will CONSISTENTLY come in late. Just late enough to miss rope-skipping (which is how we always warm up at the start of each class). I and most of the other people will make it on time, and will put forth the effort to do that part, AND the rest of the class. But the ones I'm ranting about... again, they often will CONSISTENTLY be late, and miss this part. It's not just once in a while.

Or what's even worse... they WILL be on time. But they will STILL skip this part. But they'll spend the time before class either showing off or LARPing around playing MMA fighter. [sarcasm] It's just SOOOO cute. [/sarcasm] Play-acting and grab-assing and ****. They got plenty of energy to do that kinda stuff, but will pick-and-choose what parts of the workout they want to do. I've even seen these people actually stop DURING CLASS while exercises are going on. Not to rest, or because they're feeling fatigued. But to socialize. Or to show off to onlookers (especially if the onlookers are female).

Now, most of the people that are in class are just doing this stuff recreationally. And/or to keep in shape. And I understand that - that's how I was originally doing it. It's at the Open Workouts (between classes) that the more "hardcore" people and the competitors (or those training for competition, like me) will usually work out. And again, I'm not claiming to be the best student at my school. Or even in my class. But I at least TRY to keep working the whole time. I go to class to WORK. And I think most of the others do too.

I guess that's why I'm ranting. Lazy people like who I'm describing really piss me the **** off something fierce! I take it as an insult, quite frankly. I see it as an insult to people that are there to work. That are serious about studying this stuff. And don't get me wrong - I'm all for having fun doing this stuff. I wouldn't be there if it wasn't. But as long as the instructor is teaching, I believe that ALL students need to be serious, and listen to and follow directions. When lazy people like that are doing what they do... it gets in the way of those who ARE serious about learning.

Now, since I know you're gonna ask... I haven't spoken to the instructor about it. As annoying as this is... I don't feel it's my place to say anything. I trust that the instructor will handle it, in his own way. But again... it just really gets under my skin.

So... what does everyone else think? Am I justified to feel this way? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Am I right in just "living with it", or should I say something? I mean, I certainly don't wanna be an asshole about it or anything. But I don't think anybody should be there if they aren't at LEAST semi-serious about training, and learning.

In any case, just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading. Rant over!

Josh

P.S. Incidentally, most of the ones I'm talking about are usually pimped out in TapouT and Sprawl gear. Fit the description of TUF Noobs to a T!
    Dude, where the hell do you train? LA Fitness? Of the different places I've been, I've never seen this. Not that I doubt your word, but man, that's weird.

At the end of the day, why would you care, and why do you let that get to you? Unless they have a negative effect on your training (.ie. taking up space making it not difficult, but impossible for you to train), ignore them.

By letting these people piss you off, you waste mental energy IMO. Use that for you training or for something more useful.

If we were to let every single tard we encounter on a daily basis get the best of us, man, we'll have an aneurism before turning 40.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Do you realise how gay that makes you sound? You stroke yourself and watch guys rolling around on the mat.
    Hey, read it anyway you want to. Whatever gets you off :lame:
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 11:04am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adon4Ever:

If your instructor is letting guys get away with this and has a specific training session for the more competitive and in-shape guys, I'm wondering if there is a good reason for not doing anything about this sitch. Sounds like he is (rightfully) willing to take the $$$, give them the level of training they want, and save his energy for the folks who are really interested. At least that's my take on it.

Vince:

Ahh, the joys of personal training. It means I get to use a weight room not open to the public. :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To NoMan: You called it, I usually work out at the USM gymnasium (It's called the Payne Center.) I figure since they're already gouging tuition out of me to pay for it, I might as well make use of it.

And don't get me started on the fat chicks. You might as well forget about the indoor track or any of the cardio machines for at least 3 weeks after New Years, as they're going to be occupied by chubby girls walking slowly while huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf. Usually after three weeks they realize this "getting in shape" requires effort and sweat, and then we never see them again.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon
    I tripped out in class last night because nobody wanted to train. They all wanted to screw around. It really pissed me off.

I warmed up, did some solo drills, even lifted weights. But 20minutes after class was supposed to start Ricardo wasn't there. Again. All the guys wanted to talk video games, do flying tackles at a heavy bag, but not one of them was on the mat. And that aint my job.

So I bailed. Went home pissed off.

Ricardo calls me up and asks why I went home. I was like...dude - nobody wanted to train. He asks if I wanted to train. I said yeah - I was there with a sweat on. But these guys, 2 of them wanting to go to the nationals cant even be bothered to do their own warm up. So **** them. I went home.

He says, so I see you train tommorrow?

I say, yeah probably.

Then I rethink it. I say no. You aren't gonna see me training tommorrow. In fact, not the rest of the week either.

He says he will call again after I cool off.

So today I check my email and there is this big ass letter written to me. Saying my attitude is affecting the students.

(Okay. Point taken. It probably was. I cannot stand people lazier than myself, because I am pretty fuckin lazy)

Then he says he knows Adrian has been wanting me to go to Cobra Kai.

Then he says that he knows there isn't enough training there for a purple belt.

(duh - all the blues and purples fucking left. Why? Shitty training, late instructor, etc)

I'll go back and read it again. But that was the gist of it. Some other **** about still wanting to be friends and I can come back anytime I want, etc. Whatever the **** that is.

So here I am...pissed off AND disappointed. For a number of reasons. Why he couldn't tell this **** to my face and had to write a fuckin email is beyond me. I have always manned up and told him exactly how I felt to his face. The only exception was last night, because he called me. I am wondering if he didn't tell me to leave because he saw me hanging with the Cobra Kai guys over the weekend, and figured it would feel better for him if he kicked me instead of me bailing. I don't know.

I do know there were a couple of guys at the gym that stabbed me in the back over something I said. It wasn't a direct comment. It was just the wording in Ricardos letter that tells me he knows more than he should. Nothing bad about Ricardo, or me talking behind his back - because whatever I say I can say to his face. This just had to do with my feelings about the gym itself. So it just seems like he talked to someone either last night or this morning after he talked to me - and they were saying some **** they probably shouldn't have. Stuff said in confidence, that they themselves agreed with, but then later use it as ammunition against me when the opportunity presented itself.

That quote was taken from my training logs in 2005. 2 years ago. My frustration with the laziness of both the students and the instructor cullminated in my dismissal from the school. Ultimately it worked out in my favor. But I certainly empathize with those struggling with the motivation levels of others.

Something I have learned in the Army: Leadership is about motivating others to do what they normally wouldn't do.

Looking back I could have applied some basics to the course and made it better for myself and others. But it starts with yourself. Keep high standards and expect others to do the same. Bottling things up and letting it explode (what I did) is wrong.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 11:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had a mini-Exodus when after our instructor made an announcement that the "fat-bodies" were just going to have to either deal with being fat and learn how to move better or lose weight and the "toothpicks" were either going to have deal deal with being pussies and learn how to strike harder or hit some iron.

The majority of the "fat-bodies" never came back, although a couple did and have been shedding the weight.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    We had a mini-Exodus when after our instructor made an announcement that the "fat-bodies" were just going to have to either deal with being fat and learn how to move better or lose weight and the "toothpicks" were either going to have deal deal with being pussies and learn how to strike harder or hit some iron.

The majority of the "fat-bodies" never came back, although a couple did and have been shedding the weight.
    lol, hilarious. Honesty is never received well.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 4:07pm

Style: mozambique drill

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird, the UCLA gym usually has people moving on and off of the machines regularly, except at odd hours (like 6AM, or 12 noon). Maybe because it's so small...

Flyweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We've got a couple people that seem to always show up to class late... typically right after the warm-up. It doesn't bother me at all, it's their own performance that will suffer, not mine. I like doing as much conditioning as possible in class, the tougher the better, because I'm a lot more motivated to push harder than when I'm alone.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks

I think your instructor wins this thread.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast