218358 Bullies, 7196 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 31
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Lily is offline
    Lily's Avatar

    Weak

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Downunder
    Posts
    3,520

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:17am

    Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    I like to stroke my own ego standing on the side of the mat, critiquing everyone who is actually rolling and training on the mat. All that other stuff...it makes me sweat, and that's icky.
    Do you realise how gay that makes you sound? You stroke yourself and watch guys rolling around on the mat.

    Vince - I have to agree with you plus what I've found is that guys are the worst culprits in gyms for talking, loitering around equipment so you can't use it and generally working out and talking to the ratio of 1:3.

    I make sure I have two programs each time I hit the gym that won't waste me a single minute if the equipment i need for one workout is not available. Just be prepared and you won't have to waste time waiting for those half asses.
  2. Adon4Ever is offline
    Adon4Ever's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    253

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:21am


     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    2. We also have a separate class for the not so committed, not so fit people and our instructor lets us beat them up once a weak just to show them where they're supposed to be and why they're not ready for our class (you get demoted to the 'just for giggles' group if you're late, if you put on weight, if you don't workout and maintain your fitness out side class). You get invited back by the instructor to the main group when you show you're committed.

    At the end of the day, we're left with those who want to train and we have a blast doing it. I also find that the lazy ones are always lacking partners, we also ice them out socially as a message that its not acceptable to waste time, not give your energy to the class etc.

    Also just chill out, its what you do on the mat that counts. Let them play at being MMA fighters in the showers or whatever, you can kick their asses to high heaven at training.
    Hmmm... I likey #2. I don't mind the "not so fit" people. I mean, I WAS one when I started, and again, I make no claims of being 100% fit and ready to go tear up the competition (I won't compete until both I and my instructor agree that I'm damn good and ready!). And I don't even mind the "not so committed" people, per se. Perhaps I should have elaborated on this in my OP: the classes, which I take on Mondays and Wednesdays, are geared more towards the recreational practitioner. And I keep on doing those. It's on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays that we have "Open Workouts". It's there where you usually find the more "serious" people (and by serious, I mean actual fighters, and people that are interested in fighting competitively, like me). But not everyone can be equally 100% committed. That little thing called Life tends to get in the way. And **** happens - a corollary of my previous sentence LOL.

    What annoys me, as I stated earlier, are the ones who are more blatant about being lazy. Who are CLEARLY just there to LARP and look 1337 and ****. If you were there... you would definitely see the difference that I'm talking about. It would be rather obvious to you (and I'd wager most anyone else on here).

    Incidentally... the bunch that I'm talking about... I NEVER see at any of the open workouts. Although... even if I did, they're quite a bit smaller than me (I'm a Heavyweight). So my instructor probably wouldn't even let me spar with them (Dammit!). And sparring is only done at the open workouts - again it's there that the more serious practitioners/fighters show up. So I guess ass-kicking is out of the question. Oh well, I'm sure they're t00 d34d1y 4 sp4rr1ng anyway! :laughing9

    Also, my instructor does run a tight ship at the open workouts. He WILL push your ass hard! He gives the students in class a good workout, but he knows that it's mainly for fun there. Although... even in class... he does push ME a little harder than the others. Will correct me a bit more and stuff. But hey, I'm actually GRATEFUL that he does so. It's because he knows that I'm there to work. And that I'm interested in competing someday. And I believe that you should worry more when somebody STOPS coaching you than when they do it more. I believe that a good coach keeps pushing you because (s)he KNOWS that you are capable of accomplishing it.

    One more thing: I also agree with your statement about me chilling out. I was really just ranting about it, was all. It's an annoyance... but I'll get over it. I just keep training myself hard, and persevering. And working with people that are at least halfway serious about it too. I still love my gym and my chosen MA with all my heart. Couldn't see myself not doing it!


    Josh
  3. ergo is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    134

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 3:27am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adon4Ever
    For one thing, these guys will CONSISTENTLY come in late. Just late enough to miss rope-skipping (which is how we always warm up at the start of each class).
    I really hate rope skipping, but I'm always on time. I'm the kind of person who doesn't want to embarass or draw attention to himself, so coming in late isn't really something I want to do (and there's really no reason to come in late anyway).

    I've even seen these people actually stop DURING CLASS while exercises are going on. Not to rest, or because they're feeling fatigued. But to socialize. Or to show off to onlookers (especially if the onlookers are female).
    How do they get away with it? I've never seen anyone do that in any of the MA schools I've been to. I don't know what would happen in MT if someone did that, but something would happen. Years ago, I went to drink some water during a MA class, and I had to do some pushups because I didn't ask for permission and the instructor didn't call for a water break. Since then I've never drank water without permission.

    My attendance isn't as good as I would like, but I always train seriously. I don't understand the mindset of people who slack off... they're training voluntarily and paying money for it. It's not like they've been conscripted or something.
  4. kiaiki is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    556

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 3:58am


     Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    This is a little off topic, but:

    Am I the only person who is sick and tired of going to the gym and having to stand patiently by the weight benches, because they are all occupied by people who take thirty minutes to talk on their cell phones, flex for the girls on the treadmills, and grunt and make power lifter faces in between sets, and by set I mean they grab about a 20 pound dumbell, and do a total of 5 repetitions, and it takes me three hours to complete my workout because of having to wait on the dumbells and bars that the IDIOT squad is using, and I hope they all die horribly of Ebola virus, or possibly Marburg?
    My pet hate too, on both free weights and machines. These guys go to a machine, sit there for ages doing **** all, then do 5 reps. as you say. Now the bit that really pisses me off is that they then go for the posey swagger around, expecting to come back to the same machine after ten minutes and carry on.


    I ALWAYS deliberately cut through that and once they get up I immediately go and sit at the machine and do my sets, whether they have left their drink or walkman there or not.
    ( They're like dogs pissing to mark their territory - the cure is to piss all over their parade.)

    Some of them just stare in that kind of 'how dare you get between me and my 30 inch biceps' kind of way, and most are actually so vain they can't believe anyone else is as important as they are and would dare to use 'their' machine.

    If they comment I tell them to take it up with the gym staff or piss off and buy their own gym. Not one of the pussies has ever argued back.

    The ones who use a bench or machine just to chat are usually no problem to shift, and I'm always polite.

    To be racist in a positive way, I've never had that behaviour from a black guy or an older guy - it's inevitably young white males with 'issues' who spend their lives growing muscles simply with that as their objective. They don't seem to get the girls either. (Mind you, after the steroids, there wouldn't be much point if they did.)

    The female equivalent comes in the form of hugely fat women who sit on cardio bikes and either read or chat for half an hour, then go and occupy the stretching area for an hour or so before hitting the Mars bars.

    The cure is pretty simple:

    Gyms often have a time limit on cardio equipment of, say, 15 minutes.
    If there was a time limit of 5 minutes on weights at peak times, we'd all get home earlier.
    Last edited by kiaiki; 10/25/2007 4:12am at .
  5. attakmint is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West LA/SF Bay Area
    Posts
    187

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 4:35am


     Style: mozambique drill

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just ask to work in when I'm at the gym and somebody's using a piece of equipment I'd like to use. 99% of the time, as long as it's not a group of 4+ guys (seriously, limit it to 3 at most), I can use the machine/bench/whatever. Going to the gym at midnight seems to work well too.
    Last edited by attakmint; 10/25/2007 4:38am at .
  6. Eddie Hardon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,488

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 7:22am


     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. JJ. We have a 1st Dan who always misses our Warm-Up. My Instructor does a Warm-Up but as I've done 12-15 years Circuit training, it's all familiar to me. However it's not appropriate for the 1st Dan to miss it as it sends the wrong message to the kyu grades and annoys us (his seniors) who do the Warm Up (even if I'm still feeling the effects of the previous nights JJ or similar training). Oh, yeah, he's French with other, er, problems.

    2. Circuits have their poseurs too. I recall one knob saying (after class) that he could do another class. Only because he hadn't done the actual class with anything like the expected commitment and intensity. I was always an "eyeballs out" trainer.

    3. As the Circuit class started to give way to a Machine Room, I realised that some of the doughnuts didn't know the Etiquette. They would take possession of the machine and when asked to step off to allow me, would bleat "I'm just doing 1 more set". It's just plain ignorance. I usually encourage them to do their last set after they've let me on the equipment by reminding them that while they're "Resting" I can make a start and then hand back. I've only had one spat and he was about 6ft 2ins and I'm 5ft 7ins. He gave way.

    4. "Grunters". Unnecessary and Attention-Seeking. I recall waiting for the start of BodyPump class (I try most things and know a fair bit). I heard 2 blokes (instructors doing free time training) on the Leg Press (Full Body) making sounds like a Porpoise giving Birth (copyright "Scrubs"). After they vacated, I had a look and it was 180kgs; personally I do these in 3 sets of 10 reps with ease (I've short legs). I don't make a sound.

    5. "Supplements". Never touch them. I've seen "Bitch Tits" - they looked like he had a Shelf across his chest along the nipple-line. It puzzled me at the time. You can also detect the incipient 'Roid Rage of some of them through their, er, noisy efforts.

    6. Returning to the JJ, I remind talking students that they are here to train and can talk afterwards. I quote our Founder who would rebuke by saying: "You're here to train". They look at me like I'm quite Mad. What can you do???:angryfire

    Cheers
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 10/25/2007 7:24am at .
  7. kiaiki is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    556

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 8:30am


     Style: Aikido Ceteris Paribus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone talks during a demo gets called out to demonstrate the technique they've just talked through. Adding pain to embarrassment is also recommended.

    If they're in line and not paying attention, a good slap works well, as does a bit of light humour/sarcasm.

    If teaching wussy types who might sue if slapped, work them all night till they drop, then explain that you knew they were up for it because they had all that energy to work their jaws.

    Answer #47 of the dojo code - press ups, crunches, press ups, crunches. Then burpees.
    Outcome - they refuse and get kicked out, they leave, they fall over and/or they get the message. Repeat as necessary.
  8. partyboy is offline
    partyboy's Avatar

    ^ the answer to life

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,586

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 8:39am


     Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    This is a little off topic, but:

    Am I the only person who is sick and tired of going to the gym and having to stand patiently by the weight benches, because they are all occupied by people who take thirty minutes to talk on their cell phones, flex for the girls on the treadmills, and grunt and make power lifter faces in between sets, and by set I mean they grab about a 20 pound dumbell, and do a total of 5 repetitions, and it takes me three hours to complete my workout because of having to wait on the dumbells and bars that the IDIOT squad is using, and I hope they all die horribly of Ebola virus, or possibly Marburg?
    what kind of gym do you go to?

    that's why I quit the fancy popular gym in favor of a place that can teach me the classes I want and still has a full size weight room. plus, the people that go there aren't trying to get bigger arms so they can jerk themselves off harder, they want to train and learn.
  9. Rivington is offline
    Rivington's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,733

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 9:11am

    supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure there are lead-asses in every gym and school. The bell curve practically demands it.

    In my school, it's even more annoying as our great lead-ass seems to have significant experience under another style of taiji, but he's still fucking awful and lazy. He comes in thirty minutes late and skips the warm up because he can barely lift his leg (not good for taiji, obviously), but he's still full of "advice" even though he's bad at form, bad at push hands, bad at moving under his own power for under five minutes, and finds sparring distasteful. His big goal is to teach taiji to Fortune 500 CEOs! (My big goal is to use taiji to KILL Fortune 500 CEOs!)


    Aaanyway, my teacher finally decided that it was attitude adjustment time, as he explains that from now on the guy has to come in on time, do the warm-ups, and if he does he'll teach him more advanced push hands stuff. And the guy does show up for a couple of classes and whatnot and then it's time for the new kind of push hands (that basically starts at a collar and elbow grip) with which the student was unfamiliar. The teacher takes the lazy guy as his partner. And lazy hits the ground about a half second later. Then they do it again, and again. Then the lazy guy doesn't want to play anymore, so the teacher tells him to teach me how to play, and I step up the teacher gives me a meaningful look and says "This might be just like the greco moves you know" so we start and we clinch and I put him down and he looks upset and I say, "Uhm...I don't think I got it. Can we go again?" and thus he must get up and "teach" me more and since then he's been somewhat less lazy.
    Last edited by Rivington; 10/25/2007 9:13am at .
  10. NoMan is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    LSU
    Posts
    396

    Posted On:
    10/25/2007 10:20am


     Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    This is a little off topic, but:

    Am I the only person who is sick and tired of going to the gym and having to stand patiently by the weight benches, because they are all occupied by people who take thirty minutes to talk on their cell phones, flex for the girls on the treadmills, and grunt and make power lifter faces in between sets, and by set I mean they grab about a 20 pound dumbell, and do a total of 5 repetitions, and it takes me three hours to complete my workout because of having to wait on the dumbells and bars that the IDIOT squad is using, and I hope they all die horribly of Ebola virus, or possibly Marburg?
    College gyms are like that too. I also hate the idiots that wear a ton of AXE deodorant and smell like they walked out of an anchovies ****. They walk around and gag me when I'm lifting with that awful odor.

    I also hate when the cow-herds go to the indoor track. I run on it, but they get into a large, single line going across the tracks so if you're running, you constantly have to try to weave past them because they block up every lane.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.