Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 1:25am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lazy Asses in the Gym!

Okay, most of the people I take class/train with work hard while they're there. And they're a pretty decent bunch of folks. And I'm not trying to make myself out to be the perfect student, or the Champ of my gym. Or even my class. I'm sure I'm FAR from that LOL.

But there seem to be a few people that will often come in. But don't seem to be too interested in training. Or working at this stuff. For one thing, these guys will CONSISTENTLY come in late. Just late enough to miss rope-skipping (which is how we always warm up at the start of each class). I and most of the other people will make it on time, and will put forth the effort to do that part, AND the rest of the class. But the ones I'm ranting about... again, they often will CONSISTENTLY be late, and miss this part. It's not just once in a while.

Or what's even worse... they WILL be on time. But they will STILL skip this part. But they'll spend the time before class either showing off or LARPing around playing MMA fighter. [sarcasm] It's just SOOOO cute. [/sarcasm] Play-acting and grab-assing and ****. They got plenty of energy to do that kinda stuff, but will pick-and-choose what parts of the workout they want to do. I've even seen these people actually stop DURING CLASS while exercises are going on. Not to rest, or because they're feeling fatigued. But to socialize. Or to show off to onlookers (especially if the onlookers are female).

Now, most of the people that are in class are just doing this stuff recreationally. And/or to keep in shape. And I understand that - that's how I was originally doing it. It's at the Open Workouts (between classes) that the more "hardcore" people and the competitors (or those training for competition, like me) will usually work out. And again, I'm not claiming to be the best student at my school. Or even in my class. But I at least TRY to keep working the whole time. I go to class to WORK. And I think most of the others do too.

I guess that's why I'm ranting. Lazy people like who I'm describing really piss me the **** off something fierce! I take it as an insult, quite frankly. I see it as an insult to people that are there to work. That are serious about studying this stuff. And don't get me wrong - I'm all for having fun doing this stuff. I wouldn't be there if it wasn't. But as long as the instructor is teaching, I believe that ALL students need to be serious, and listen to and follow directions. When lazy people like that are doing what they do... it gets in the way of those who ARE serious about learning.

Now, since I know you're gonna ask... I haven't spoken to the instructor about it. As annoying as this is... I don't feel it's my place to say anything. I trust that the instructor will handle it, in his own way. But again... it just really gets under my skin.

So... what does everyone else think? Am I justified to feel this way? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Am I right in just "living with it", or should I say something? I mean, I certainly don't wanna be an asshole about it or anything. But I don't think anybody should be there if they aren't at LEAST semi-serious about training, and learning.

In any case, just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading. Rant over!

Josh

P.S. Incidentally, most of the ones I'm talking about are usually pimped out in TapouT and Sprawl gear. Fit the description of TUF Noobs to a T!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am that person. Go **** yourself :)
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Weak

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 1:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adon, maybe your instructor needs to tighten ship a little, some tips:

1. Don't start class till everyone is there, for each minute late the class starts the whole class gets punished with more skipping or something torturous. That's how we do it. That or our instructor just locks the door on the dot when class starts, stuff anyone who wants to come later (unless they've called prior to class with a good reason).

2. We also have a separate class for the not so committed, not so fit people and our instructor lets us beat them up once a weak just to show them where they're supposed to be and why they're not ready for our class (you get demoted to the 'just for giggles' group if you're late, if you put on weight, if you don't workout and maintain your fitness out side class). You get invited back by the instructor to the main group when you show you're committed.

At the end of the day, we're left with those who want to train and we have a blast doing it. I also find that the lazy ones are always lacking partners, we also ice them out socially as a message that its not acceptable to waste time, not give your energy to the class etc.

Also just chill out, its what you do on the mat that counts. Let them play at being MMA fighters in the showers or whatever, you can kick their asses to high heaven at training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:03am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    I am that person. Go **** yourself :)
    Why do you go to class if you just dick around?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a little off topic, but:

Am I the only person who is sick and tired of going to the gym and having to stand patiently by the weight benches, because they are all occupied by people who take thirty minutes to talk on their cell phones, flex for the girls on the treadmills, and grunt and make power lifter faces in between sets, and by set I mean they grab about a 20 pound dumbell, and do a total of 5 repetitions, and it takes me three hours to complete my workout because of having to wait on the dumbells and bars that the IDIOT squad is using, and I hope they all die horribly of Ebola virus, or possibly Marburg?

Posted On:

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ergo
    Why do you go to class if you just dick around?
    I like to stroke my own ego standing on the side of the mat, critiquing everyone who is actually rolling and training on the mat. All that other stuff...it makes me sweat, and that's icky.
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:

Style: Defense Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adon4Ever
    Just late enough to miss rope-skipping (which is how we always warm up at the start of each class).
    Perhaps they are sicken tired of rope-skipping and want to do something else? I'm tired of doing shrimps, somersaults, ukemis and such, so I try to avoid classes where I know we'll be doing those things and head to classes where we warmup by boxing or wrestling.

And if I see someone just sitting on the corner and not practising, it's none of my damn business why they are there. Perhaps they have injuries, bad condition or they don't like the training methods. It's their call and their loss if they don't develope.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    This is a little off topic, but:

Am I the only person who is sick and tired of going to the gym and having to stand patiently by the weight benches, because they are all occupied by people who take thirty minutes to talk on their cell phones, flex for the girls on the treadmills, and grunt and make power lifter faces in between sets, and by set I mean they grab about a 20 pound dumbell, and do a total of 5 repetitions, and it takes me three hours to complete my workout because of having to wait on the dumbells and bars that the IDIOT squad is using, and I hope they all die horribly of Ebola virus, or possibly Marburg?
    Gong Sau
    ~Bruce Lee

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Gong Sau
    Mande? No hable, senor, como se dicie "Gong Sau" en Anglais?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:16am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo class was always pretty laid back the owner of the dojo (he rents out space to different instructors) is really into Judo and the instructor teaches for free ( money goes to rent the space) so it's more like people who really want to be there. We could start a half an hour early and stay an hour late, you could come in on off days and train with a bunch of people from class including the gym owner who is testing for black belt. Those who aren't going to take it seriously usually drop out after a month or so.

In BJJ its always a much bigger class but there are huge differences even between a single stipe, if you don't come in or are late or don't take it seriously, you get raped in rolling time. Same goes for Judo, unless you are putting time in consistently and taking the lesson seriously you will get wake up calls every couple of minutes...I honestly just try to steer clear of the guys who don't seem to care much, if they ask me to partner up I don't baby them, usually makes them wake up if you make the holes in their game very obvious, I'm not saying tap em out 30 times a minute but if he goes for a half assed guardpass b/c he isn't focused, sweep and make him feel it so he wakes up!

edit: about the gym time, yeah this is exaclty why I stopped going to the Y, bunch of punks with tape up discussing sports, girls and who beat who up to the point that a decent workout owuld take me 3-4 hours.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast