Style
    None Yet, Looking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introducing Myself to Make The Ninjas Go Away

Hey all. I'm new here, and I'm *not* really a martial artist, more of an interested and enthusiastic seeker of skill and enlightenment. In other words, I want to learn. Oh, and there are ninjas behind me making me post. Oh, wait, they're just ninjas.
    *wham*
    *thud*
    *other assorted wrestling noises*
    There we go.

Anyway, I guess I'll finish this, ninjas aside. I've got a bit of experience from my younger days (I'm 21 now) from schoolyard brawling and a bit of wrestling, but that pretty much ran out when I was 14 or so. It's been a while since I've been in any kind of fight, and I'm looking to find an art, and a school.

My goals:
    1) Learn to *fight*. I felt a lot stronger and more spirited when I knew random guys pissing me off were going to get their asses kicked if they started something.
    2) Get myself back into good shape. This tends to be a direct result of a combination of (1) and going to just about any gym, MA or not, which I'm going to get off my sodding arse and start doing.
    3) Not go broke doing it. Until I get a salary increase, I may have to avoid schools with high-end fees, quality or not. That will change when I can afford to make it change.

My current status: Not much of a fighter, at a good weight but lacking muscle mass and tone. Needing serious upper body and core strength training, but healthy. Did light-medium lifting in a warehouse a couple years back, so I'm not a total wimp. Just a semi-wimp.
    Edit: 5'10" 145ish.

Peace within and without - except in the ring ;)
    - Riley
    Last edited by CS_Riley; 10/25/2007 8:00pm at .

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, CS_Riley, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Style
    no gi grappling/sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you need Judo. The randori (sparring) will get you in shape and help with your mass. Great self defense art. Surprisingly, Judo has lost some popularity among other arts over the years, and is now often taught at YMCAs and rec centers. That doesn't make it bad. In fact, you will find instructors who teach for the love of the art and not for money = good. Makes it less expensive than martial arts at most other schools too. If you have the time and motivation, throw in some boxing too.

Style
    None Yet, Looking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like a good idea. I'm curious if anyone else has any good opinions though, but Judo isn't a bad choice.

Style
    sport Aikido & Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't beat YMCA Judo for the price. Should run you like $10-20 a month I think?

BJJ schools tend to charge more than other arts because of the popularity they're enjoying right now. $120/mo seems pretty common in my area for BJJ. For most other arts you're looking at the $80-90/mo price range if your market is anything like mine, but that varies widely.

Beyond that a lot of gyms offer boxing and kickboxing classes. These will probably be much more hit or miss. Hmm other wise, if there is a local university or community college around check with them. Pretty much everywhere is going to have Karate or TKD, which I wouldn't suggest, but what ever floats your boat. My little sis tells me OSU offers everything from Karate to Judo to BJJ and I see Judo classes listed at UA every term. You're probably looking at $150 per term for a CC class and $250 for a university, which is still pretty cheap.

But yea, YMCA Judo is the best bang for the buck.