I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 9:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitparity
    It's been 3 months since I had a partial shoulder dislocation during BJJ. I always thought if I gave it time it'd heal, and I guess tehcnically it has, as it doesn't hurt anymore, but I no longer have the range of motion or flexibility I used to. This being directly evidenct when I try to stretch my arm back at a 90 degree angle like an americana. My left shoulder/arm stops right at 90 degrees. My right can still go to 135.

Now whenever I spar, if someone attacks my left shoulder, I almost always have to immediately tap out because of the pain and it's not as flexible and with dislocations, if you pop it out once, it'll be easier to pop out again.

But then again, whenever I talk to people who've played other sports, as well as jiujitsu, everybody tells me they have a bad something or the other. Sometimes they're career ending injuries, sometimes they're not.

I don't like the idea that my shoulder will never get the same range and flexibility it used to, but is that just the cost of participating in a contact sport? Is that what I should look forward to in the rest of my MMA career, a bad ___, ___ and ___?

See a physio

I am in Mississauga and have a good one also aerochick I think can recommend a good sports one.

May not bring it back 100% but it can't hurt to try

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Soju said. The services of a physio, a chiro and a (deep) massage therapist should be used on a regular basis (depending on your physical condition.)

It's been 3 months since I had a partial shoulder dislocation during BJJ. I always thought if I gave it time it'd heal, and I guess tehcnically it has, as it doesn't hurt anymore, but I no longer have the range of motion or flexibility I used to.
    You haven't completely healed, and you will need some rehab.

This being directly evidenct when I try to stretch my arm back at a 90 degree angle like an americana. My left shoulder/arm stops right at 90 degrees. My right can still go to 135.
    If you are lucky, this is just your internal rotators that have lost flexibility and are cramping up, pulling and keeping your shoulder in an unholy, painful way (aka external shoulder rotation inflexibility). If you don't have access to a physio, at least get a massage therapist to check it out.

Tell the masseur that you dislocated your shoulder and that you have limited mobility when you rotate the shoulder externally (it is crucial that you tell him that.) He/she will get to work from where your pecs join the shoulder up to your traps and neck down to your shoulder blade.

In addition to that, you need to stretch your internal and external rotators in tandem as well as strenghten your external rotators. Furthermore, avoid anything like push ups, dips and bench presses for the time being (this only increases the imbalance between your internal and external rotators.)

Do this for the time being until you get a physio (proceed with caution):

Read about external rotation inflexibility (which is what you have) http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Infl...#anchor3508557

Read about internal rotation inflexibility (just in case) http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Infl...anchor13299557

Learn about your external rotator muscles (under Lateral Rotation) http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Sh...l#anchor110483

Learn about your internal rotator muscles (under Medial Rotation) http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Sh...l#anchor109903

Then, do the following stretches:

Broom stick subcapularis stretch for your subcapularis (internal rotator, which is the one most likely preventing you from moving your arm backwards): http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Subsca...roomstick.html

Broom stick Infraspinatus (external rotator) stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Infras...roomstick.html

Do this exercise for your infraspinatus every other day. Go light, you should be able to do 3 sets of 20 each at ease. It's not supposed to be a 10-rep to failure or some **** like that.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...lRotation.html

You can also do it standing/seated with a cable or resistance band (a resistance band is much, much, much better for rehab me think):

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...lRotation.html

Warm up your your pec, trap, shoulder and shoulder blade with icy hot or a hot pad before doing the stretches and exercises. And after you are done, ice your shoulder and shoulder blade for no less than 10 minutes and no more than 30. Also, you should wait at least an hour from the time you heated your shoulder to the time you ice it.

Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 6:29am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've booked another appointment with my doctor this time basically to make him give me a referral to physical therapist (as well as a podiatrist, I have some persistant foot pain).

Btw El Macho, one of thouse shoulder exercises (the lateral rotation one), I remember doing that motion at a swimming pool in las vegas, and every time I moved my arm and shoulder that way, i heard consistent popping sounds during movement.

I just got shoulder locked on tuesday in a way where I heard something tear ever so slightly, now I hear popping noises when I just rotate it up and down. No pain per say, but I guess this means I better get this **** checked out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 7:19am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I injured my knee in my first (and, to date only) MMA match in May of this year. It is just now healed to a point where I can balance on it for roundhouse kicks again. It tweaks a little every once in awhile, but it's getting back to almost 100%. I do my own physical therapy routine, culled from others who have paid the money and done the time on knee injuries far worse than my own. I don't have insurance and it was a minor injury, at best, so don't bother ranting at me for not paying for PT. I'm a retail sales worker. Even if I had insurance, it would be a horrible HMO or PPO with little coverage and a bad customer-care division that used abitrary and restrictive clauses to limit any payments. I know...I had Wal-Mart's plan for years.

Anyhow, put the shoulder through PT if you have the insurance, money, and time. Just because it stopped hurting through normal use doesn't mean it is healed. If you can't lift it as high as the other arm without pain, it's still hurt. Stop hurting it more by being put into Americana locks. I stopped kickboxing entirely for the last 5 1/2 months, concentrating on grappling while my knee healed. I never had it tweak in grappling sessions, but I had it tweak almost daily at work until I isolated it and began taping and wearing the brace. Now I am busy rebuilding the pliability I had and the strength and balance.

Take it from me, if it hurts, take a break. You can take a short break now and let it heal or you can take a permanent break later when it rips and you need surgery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:31am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, safety first. But I just wanna say I love sparring, and it always depresses the **** out of me when I have to sit out because I have to heal. If I could do so safely, I'd roll every day.

Currently I'm only at beginner stage in MT. Haven't sparred with anyone yet, still getting proper form and technique down. I'm wondering what kind of injuries MT tends to produce and if I could just go full steam on MT instead of BJJ while the shoulder heals?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bitparity, tap early and tap fast anytime your shoulder gets a bit pulled "that" way. The popping sound is going to stay there for a while, maybe forever. But the important thing is that you get that checked and that you gain your natural lateral shoulder rotation movement (hopefully you may even increase it without any detriments to strenght.)

Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12