Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 5:17pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah I see.
    Weird, when I click on the play button on the vid I posted, it says it is not available.

Here's the link again...

youtube DOT com/watch?v=_mrHBANZfIE
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 5:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would love to see what would happen with silva VS a MW style MMA fighter who has a MMA judo background.

A lot of the stuff I saw at the Karo seminar came from the clinch.

Obviously once the clinch is tight on it would be hard, but I think a world class Judoka (who trains for MMA) would give Silva fits if he tried to clinch like that.

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 6:05pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep some forward momentum, and your opponent back on his heels in the clinch can negate some of the risk of a takedown, I would think. Land some shots, get him rocked, clinch, drive, and knee.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 6:47pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rampage vs Wandy 1 & 2.
    Rampage vs Shogun

Wrestler owned repeatedly in Thai clinch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 8:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I'm not saying that the Thai clinch in ineffective, doing Technique-X because pro-Y does it is kind of like basing your wardrobe off some guy with a hot girlfriend i.e. there might be any number of other he has a hot girl/owns life at MMA than what your trying to imitate. That said I think things are cycling towards striking more technically in MMA, as things become more and more people training for MMA as opposed to just being awesome at one thing.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can do that to short people too. He never fights anyone the same height as him.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 11:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    This is a spin off from another theread but it is also something I've been thinking about for a long time. Has Anderson Silva's success in the UFC proven anyhting about Thai clinch assumptions?

I've had a lot of people tell me that Thai clinch is dangerous in MMA because if you use good Thai form it exposes your hips and will get you thrown. My usual answer is yeah whatever I actually know how to clinch. Then I can't really provide any good examples. My argument gets even lamer when I have to claim that in my opinion most pro MMA fighters especially in the UFC don't seem to have any idea how to Thai clinch properly.

We now have a dominant UFC champion that clearly loves the Thai clinch and uses a pretty orthodox position. His hips are much closer than other fighters his elbows are tight and his hands are nice and high. All of which lets him stand up on his toes and deliver HARD knees.

SO, Is Anderson Silva a freak or are we finally seeing a Thai clinch done right and other fighters could adopt it.
    Anderson is a superior athlete. Maybe that makes him a freak? He makes Tae Kwon Do roundhouses work. He makes "Chuck Liddell" anti-grappling work. He's just fucking great, IMHO.

He's one of the few UFC guys that I've been impressed with enough to remember. He reminds me of Ali. Ali had a left jab that wouldn't have worked with it's total body movement coming off the left foot that left him unbalanced and open - if he wasn't Ali. But since HE WAS ALI, he put total body behind his jab and if it hit, it creamed, and if it missed, the guy was either backing up or Ali recovered back to a guard because he was a superior athlete.

There's a BJJ gal I know of who regularly taps out men who weigh much much more. She also is an Olympic fencer. Something to do with being a superior athlete.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/24/2007 11:55pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 11:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with PfL, Anderson could knock someone out with a bolo punch while doing the moonwalk. And who said Thai clinch is no good in MMA? The whole Chute Box camp dominated Pride with "clinch and destroy".
    It would be like saying Elvis Sinosic (sp) proved the guard is ineffective in MMA after Micheal Bisping finished him with punches while between his legs.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 12:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    I can do that to short people too. He never fights anyone the same height as him.
    Franklins only like an inch shorter..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 10:56pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the first video that Whiteshark posted, there's some major problems with that clinch. No one who knows how to clinch will do it like that. They're far apart from each other, they're grabbing the back of the neck, and they have no tension on the hold. When he just pushes the other guy's elbow over and says, "Look at how easy that is", yeah right.

The elbows will be dug deep into your shoulders/chest region, you have to go far underneath to try and get it over, and then your head will start getting pulled around, (or he'll sacrifice the clinch and elbow your face), and you won't get it. And because the elbows are dug into your chest/shoulders, pulling them off is going to be a fight, your arm will be in a weak position.

Putting your arms down to defend against a clinch isn't smart either, the knees will get through. Paulson might know how to wrestle, but that was a weak clinch.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast