Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 10:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,MT,other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awww hell we bin havin crank up in this here trailer park for ever tatum, hey maybe kempo is the martial arts of trailer trash? why else, "speed. speed, where do you get your speed?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 5:45pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may regret this, but this is an old belt test. This is Frank Trejo demonstrating techniques and pounding the hell out of me. I saw the Tatum thing and had to laugh. Those guys barely got touched. I was nearly KOd a few times. For you Kenpo guys, on sleeper I had trouble tapping because the first strike got me. I think it's far more real than the Tatum stuff and Trejo has a real pro record to draw on. He had me boxing, Muy Thai and Judo. If you couldn't make it work you got hammered. That's what makes the difference between strip mall kenpo and the real deal. Anyway, check it out. At worst those who don't like me will get amused at my expense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POmKgKJB8yc
    Last edited by Omega; 12/18/2007 5:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 5:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know why that went up twice, sorry. That's the second time I've done that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 4:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

goldenjonas... the scene you were refering to where the doctor goes ape ****..:) it was from a movie ed parker was in called kill the golden goose aka kill the golden ninja...

to everyone else id like to point out that kenpo techniques are not ideal phase tech's they are just ideas of movement that teach you how to used your bacics in combinations using the principles of kenpo... by no means on the street would i try to do a tech for a left punch or whatever and not expect another attack right punch kick or whatever to be right behind it. the core of the kenpo system is the basics and principles and how to use them together....

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    draygin thank you for the vid.

Curiously enough, even though Trejo comes from an EPAK background (or am I wrong on this?) A lot of those techniques were verbatim what I learned which was a combination of Villari and Cerio lineage. Particularly the headlock escape with the double palm to the groin, and the double lapel grab counter a little more than halfway through.

The techniques are all well and good, but the flaw comes in when there is no active sparring and utilization of technique in a live setting - but rather a lot of talk about how they can't engage in stuff, because their moves are too dangerous with all the groin hitting, throat crushing and eye gouging. What is left is a lot of tough talk, delusions of grandeur, and wasted training time.

If Mr. Trejo did engage in Muay Thai and boxing drills with you, did he have you spar at all under those formats to learn how to deal with the stress of actual combat? Not to mention all the refining of your timing and technique with bread'n butter material, as opposed to flailing hammers at the groin that are hardly likely to be utilized in an actual fight.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 8:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    draygin thank you for the vid.

Curiously enough, even though Trejo comes from an EPAK background (or am I wrong on this?) A lot of those techniques were verbatim what I learned which was a combination of Villari and Cerio lineage. Particularly the headlock escape with the double palm to the groin, and the double lapel grab counter a little more than halfway through.

The techniques are all well and good, but the flaw comes in when there is no active sparring and utilization of technique in a live setting - but rather a lot of talk about how they can't engage in stuff, because their moves are too dangerous with all the groin hitting, throat crushing and eye gouging. What is left is a lot of tough talk, delusions of grandeur, and wasted training time.

If Mr. Trejo did engage in Muay Thai and boxing drills with you, did he have you spar at all under those formats to learn how to deal with the stress of actual combat? Not to mention all the refining of your timing and technique with bread'n butter material, as opposed to flailing hammers at the groin that are hardly likely to be utilized in an actual fight.
    Actually yes he did, as I said this was a belt test and it was a reference back to the Tatum vid this started with. As I said on a thread you started about the good in kenpo, we did a lot of realistic training. He sticks with the ideal technique then get into wil, "What if"s and then there is the full blown sparring, muy thai, boxing, Kick Boxing and the MMA style with few rules. The onld no eye gouging and biting. I fought some great guys from Japan and around the wold in his backyard and Gyms around LA. Unfortunately this is the only video I have left. After multiple Hurricanes in FL, I lost everything I had put in storage, the place I thought would be best. I would die for some of that old footage. I liked the Muy Thai the most. Kenpo has provided me with a great knowledge of how and why, Muy Thai provided endurance through pain and a practical apllication I don't even think MMA can provide. I used more skills in the Muy Thai than I did anywhere else. Boxing did provied some white hot focus though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 8:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will also say that my experience with bouncing helped too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    A lot of those techniques were verbatim what I learned which was a combination of Villari and Cerio lineage. Particularly the headlock escape with the double palm to the groin,.
    Actually they are close, just noticed what you were saying here, but it's not a double groin strike. Parker implemented checks the others do not seem to have. It was a ridge hand to the groin and a check to the right knee while stepping in. Without the check to the knee, you have little chance to stabilize your opponent and a palm to the groin will not get the penetration desired to strike the nerve. Not to mention, if you do not check the knee you are wide open to a knee. This explains one of the subtle differences, that to me make all the difference. Then when you add the Muy Thai and sticky hands, those checks also put your elbows instinctually into a good strike.

I'd like to see more differences. All I have ever heard are that it is all the same. I have been told "we do that too" and noticed a missing check here and missing strikes and different weapons. I'm curious now.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567