Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Starting BJJ in the new year

Hey all,

As a self professed larper I'm sure you'll rip me a new one here however, although a larper I've always been very open minded in terms of understanding the weaknesses of aikido etc etc, so much so that in the new year I wish to cross train in BJJ and hopefully encourage a few of my students to do the same.

I'm here because I'm interested in knowing you any of you have heard of or had any experience with Marcus Silva - http://www.msbjj.co.uk/

This guy runs the closes BJJ/MMA club to me (about an 80 mile round trip) and before I start investing my time and money travelling, I was wondering if there's any information about him.

I have absolutely zero knowledge of BJJ thus would appreciate some pointers on what I should be looking for and what questions I should be asking in relation to the quality of the training.

Cheers in advance
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    BJJ & Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to hear you're picking up BJJ, good luck with your training, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

http://onthemat.com/wiki/index.php/UK_BJJ_Brown_Belts
    The wiki lists him as a brown belt.

http://www.bjj.eu.com/movies/2007/05...cus-silva.html
    Competition footage as a brown belt.

Seems solid! I'm not sure what you could look for without experience in BJJ, but you should probably make sure that a white belt with a few months of training at the club can tap you pretty easily and that there's plenty of rolling time for beginners. You can also ask about the competition records of the people who train at the club, see how they're all doing in general, the beginners as well as the more advanced students.

Also, take a trial class and compare it with Aesopian's description of a first class: http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=246

If it seems reasonably in line with that, simple activities like learning basic positions and movements, that's a good sign. If you're doing crazy things like flying triangles or something, that's a bad sign.

80 miles seems a pretty long way to go, though, there's absolutely nothing closer?
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 10/16/2007 7:49am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the links mate.

No unfortunately, there's nothing closer in my neck of the woods.

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    submission grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your location says your in Japan, and even if your not. How about Judo? I have never done it but it gets very good reviews. As for schools it depends on what you are looking for. Some schools focus on compitition, others are more laid back. Being an old fart I have found I can train better at a laid back school because I'm not always injuring myself. Problem is I can be competitive and like to roll hard with the young dudes in the competitive schools, I do ok on the mat and then I miss 2 or 3 weeks because I can barely move because of either my back or my knees. I'd rather train a easier and keep training than train hard and miss alot. Maybe I should go back to _ing __un? :gay:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Your location says your in Japan, and even if your not.
    my "location" changes in-line with whatever user-alias I'm using at the time.

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not currently tolerating "Hey does anyone know anything about this guy that I sort of want to train with in the future?" threads in DHS.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was that a statement or question ?

Please clarify.

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a statement. Nothing personal.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Style
    BJJ & Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, have you checked to see if there are any judo places closer to where you are? 80 miles just seems really far out of the way for any kind of regularly scheduled training.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last