Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 9:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Self Drainage of Cauliflower Ear

Yes indeed. I am going to poke myself. I went to the pharmacy and got triply antibiotic ointment, cotton swabs, salt, gauze, and rubbing alcohol.

I have two inquiries:

Has anyone on this board ever drained themselves? How did it go?

Where do I get some hypodermic needles?

Wow, that's three.

As to why I'm going to do it myself:

Insurance fucking sucks, I have to get a referral from my PCP to go elsewhere, lest I get charged $1000, like what happened to my buddy. But my PCP won't see my until next week, which would be enough time for the cauliflower to harden. I can't go to the ER, because it's not an emergency and they would tell me to stop wasting people's time.

Also, the cauliflower is not that bad, it's in it's very early stages, with just one mini bubble and a swollen outer lobe. Not that visible yet. So a doc would proably also tell me to go home and stop worrying about it. But I can't have that cauliflower **** in my ear. No sir, I want none like a wayward preist.

So, what's the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 9:41am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thunderbird
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i got my needles and syringes from atlantic medical supply, iirc. lots of sources online.

a friend of mine (tattoo artist, used to drain his own cauliflower in high school) agreed to work the needle for me, but once i had the supplies, he assessed that with the size of the needle vs the size of the cauliflower, he'd likely do more harm than good. the opening on a needle is surprisingly long, once it's next to your ear...

the wrestlers in class all agreed that if it's not obviously noticable, it's not worth draining.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 9:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ht=cauliflower

I know there's more but I don't have time to do a more thorough search.

Oh yeah, search funtion noob.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 9:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ht=cauliflower

I know there's more but I don't have time to do a more thorough search.

Oh yeah, search funtion noob.
    I already read that thread, Fred.

I figured this warranted starting a new one, because you know what they say: measure twice, poke once. Unless she's a whore, in which cause you shouldn't poke at all.

But I digress. I was looking for personal experiences and **** like that. Also: where do I find the syringes? And don't say heroin dealer. Just don't do it, man.
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 9:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i got my needles and syringes from atlantic medical supply, iirc. lots of sources online.

a friend of mine (tattoo artist, used to drain his own cauliflower in high school) agreed to work the needle for me, but once i had the supplies, he assessed that with the size of the needle vs the size of the cauliflower, he'd likely do more harm than good. the opening on a needle is surprisingly long, once it's next to your ear...

the wrestlers in class all agreed that if it's not obviously noticable, it's not worth draining.
    Thanks for that.

So if it's not drained, will it harden or what? Should I strap on the headgear and go get grounded and pounded and ****, or wait till it stops hurting and being so damn sensitive?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 9:59am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most pharmacies carry 1 or 2 CC needles for diabetics. Since they're too small to use for drug use, it's usually pretty easy to buy them.

NEVER use the same needle twice, obviously. The one time I did, my ear got infected. Since I wasn't good looking before, it didn't exactly make me more gorgeous.
    Shut the hell up and train.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    Thanks for that.

So if it's not drained, will it harden or what? Should I strap on the headgear and go get grounded and pounded and ****, or wait till it stops hurting and being so damn sensitive?
    if you don't drain it, it will shrink somewhat as it hardens into scar tissue. some of what you see/feel when it's fresh is just swelling, which does go away, but the actual fluid hardens (or is replaced, i don't know the biological process).

having any cauliflower means you're likely to get more (as more skin separates from the cartilage under stress), but it's even more likely while it's still soft and swollen - that fluid will act as a wedge. also, since some of the cartilage is dead, your ear is even more likely to fold in the same spot than it was originally.

if you've got head gear, wear it for a few weeks till the cauliflower is hard, indifferent to pressure, and no longer warm (ie, gets cold when an ear should get cold, rather than staying warm due to swelling/extra blood). if it aches, it's still changing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 10:20am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TQ, Riteaid or one of those stores. Insulin needles. They have 5's and 3's (cc's I believe on the syringe part, not sure if the needle size was different between them). But you should be able to get them at the pharmacy stores like that. Although, I'm not sure if he just said 'I need insulin needles' or what, I hear you about not wanting to look like some druggie freak.

I drained a friends ear at the last Superbowl at a potluck, just cleaned it up well with swaps/rubbing alcohol, then insert the needle at a shallow angle and pull it out.

What I did was google it and look for videos, specifically found some done by MMA'ers, don't have the link off-hand though. It will refill though, so expect to do it a few times, or figure out that weird compression dressing. People also used to put a button on each side of the ear, then thread THROUGH it to hold the skin to the cartalidge, never done that, seems freaky to me.

Found one of the links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYS8B43-xxo

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 11:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say be careful. I've never had to actually drain m ears myself, but I've been warned by others that have that you can bleed yourself pretty bad if you miss and cause some nasty infections.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast