Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 2:57pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

KyushoSpace and Martial Arts YouTube

I couldn't find any similar threads when I did a search, so I figured this site is worth pointing out. Kyushospace is supposedly a gathering place for Martial Artists, but support the likes of George Dillman and other similar teachers. Not to mention supporting bullshido practices.

Then you have Martial Arts YouTube. It supposedly is made solely for the purpose of Martial Arts videos, but a good majority of them consist of videos on pressure points and such.

http://www.kyushospace.com/
    http://www.martialartsyoutube.com/

I figured these sites were worth mentioning, if not than I apologize.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To my knowledge, no one has accepted the open challenge found here:
    George A. Dillman: Kyusho-Jitsu
    http://www.bullshido.com/articles/di...article-6.html
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:37pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not surprised. I've heard stories of these "chi masters" and "pressure point masters" taking up challenges to only fail them, so it's not surprising that someone like George Dillman wouldn't risk it. I wish he would, so we can finally see if what he teaches is bullshido or not. Though, I'm leaning more towards bullshido.

I remember someone posting this video over at the FightingArts forums - http://www.martialartsyoutube.com/vi...e=&category=tr

It supposedly backs up the claims that a pressure point systen does actually work. However, I think the whole thing about pressure points is kind of in a gray area in terms of validity.

Edit

Bah, the video with Richard Mooney taking on the Randi Challenge is no longer available in the article you linked.
    Last edited by MastaFighta; 10/23/2007 3:46pm at .

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just hate how they act like pressure points are this ancient Chinese mystery that only a handful of people know about. If you whack someone in the neck hard enough, they will probably fall down, just like kicking them in the thigh will make it hard to walk, or whacking someone in the bicep will make their arm kind of numb. It's not magic. It's not even always the best way to hurt people. But they have to make it into a big deal.
    Also, I believe whoever wrote the Bullshido article on Dillman mispelled "Bunkai." As far as the movements of kata containing various grappling and Funky Striking techniques, I'd say that's a fairly valid statement. I mean, it doesn't really make sense to have these huge elaborate kata like Jion and Kanku Dai just to teach people to block and punch, does it? I'd recomend reading Ian Abernathy's "Bunkai-Jutsu" for more in depth analysis of karate kata. If nothing else, it's a lot more interesting than the "block and punch" type bunkai.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 10:19pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    ...As far as the movements of kata containing various grappling and Funky Striking techniques, I'd say that's a fairly valid statement. I mean, it doesn't really make sense to have these huge elaborate kata like Jion and Kanku Dai just to teach people to block and punch, does it? I'd recomend reading Ian Abernathy's "Bunkai-Jutsu" for more in depth analysis of karate kata. If nothing else, it's a lot more interesting than the "block and punch" type bunkai.
    Not to make another kata mega-thread, but...

I suggest you take your favorite kata, and start looking for silly bunkai: try to interpret moves for putting on a jacket, or making a sandwich. It's surprising how easy it is to do this. I think most of the grappling found in kata is kind of like this.