Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:11pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why exactly do we aim for the chin when striking?

I'm not contesting the use of aiming stikes at a person's chin (rather than, say, their nose or forehead etc.), but what is the biological or mechanical reason that blows to the chin produce so much more KO power? Having been on the receiving end I can say that there is a significant difference between a good cross or hook to the point of the chin as compared to one that hits the nose or cheek.

But how do you explain why the chin is a good target? My old kickboxing instructor claimed that it was the "nerves" which run through the chin, which sounds implausible to say the least. I try to explain it as leverage - your chin is the longest lever you can get to torque the head with sudden force. I don't know if that is correct or not.

Furthermore, how do you explain why it is important to keep your mouth tightly shut while fighting so as to reduce the damage of incoming strikes?

Anyone with a more informed scientific perspective is greatly appreciated.

And to reiterate: This is not a thread questioning that the chin is a good target. I am convinced of that. What I need is an explanation to provide to non-fighters.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it will generally cause a shift in the head which will result in either:
    1) loss of eqiulibrium from the inner ear balance mechanisms shift
    2) shifting of neck which can cause temporary restriction of carotid artery blood flow
    3) shifting of brain causing minor contusion to brain stem

from my understanding of course

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:17pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of a persons Chi is held there.... in that spot on the chin known as the "butoon" some pronounce it Button. Its an ancient location for chakra and Chi. When struck, the nerve clusters holding this energy become enraged and release said energy on to the world in a frenzy. Monks 2,000 years ago realized the power of this most secret of secret area's. And Taekwondo masters have brought it to the publics attention.

That.... or the fact that it creates (as you stated) torque on the neck which whips the head around. Two things happen... the whip lash created is usually enough to stun or knock out the opponent..... OR the brain is slightly bounced around in the skull, causing a knock out. I think its more about torque than anything. That and the whipping motion it creates.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:19pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    But how do you explain why the chin is a good target? My old kickboxing instructor claimed that it was the "nerves" which run through the chin, which sounds implausible to say the least. I try to explain it as leverage - your chin is the longest lever you can get to torque the head with sudden force. I don't know if that is correct or not.
    That's what I've always assumed, as well. It's easier to move the head at the chin than closer in on the neck. Additionally, it is the closest target on the head for the fist to reach.

Furthermore, how do you explain why it is important to keep your mouth tightly shut while fighting so as to reduce the damage of incoming strikes?
    If you don't keep your mouth tightly shut, the strike will move your jaw independently of the rest of your head. This will put stress on the mandibular joints, which are much easier to break or dislocate than is the neck. By keeping the jaw tightly closed, the shock is spread and absorbed through the head and neck, rather than being concentrated in a single bone.

--Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:21pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember reading that when someone is punched on the chin, the jaw is pushed backwards and compresses a bunch of nerves located behind it. These nerves are located somewhere near the ear. So, based on that information, I would assume that when someone is hit directly on the chin, the jaw is pushed backwards, causing the condyloid process to compress the nerves behind it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:22pm

Style: many; box,TKD,croty,BJJ..

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It forces the mandible (jaw bone) back up and it put pressure on the TMJ (temporal mandibular joint) -which is right by the temples. Lots of nerves and major blood vessles in that area( temporal mandibular nerve/artery)- and there is a lot less skull in the way(skull is thin there). In addition to the "coup contra coup" action on snapping or whipping the neck like you already said, which also jars the brain. Meaning it sloshes around hits the front of the skull, then the back like a pinball. You see it in car accidnets all the time.
    (i was a paramedic)

edit- man you all type fasterthan me lol
    Last edited by praetorian01; 11/18/2007 7:11am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suddenly, my desire to compete in MMA and what not is reduced 10 fold.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 2:05pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are two major never exist points by the chin on the mandible, (the mental nerve through the mental foramen) both that plays only a minor role in why strokes to the chin are more effective at causing knockouts then strikes to other parts of the head.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cause its easier to reach than punching them in the foot?
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Weak

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 5:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Cause its easier to reach than punching them in the foot?
    And you know this because you've tried it right?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast