Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My achin' feets!

So my time at the gym has been paying off. I feel a lot stronger, I'm able to lift more, but as I was caught up in the strength rush, I allowed my cardio to suffer. I've been drinking plenty of water, warming up properly, and really stretching out my calves, but for some reason as soon as I get a good rhythm going my feet go into horrible cramps. (got the weirdest looks when I grunted and nearly rolled off the treadmill!) I've tried different pairs of shoes, I know my water intake is fine, and I'm still stumped. Any advice on how I can stop my feet from wanting to curl up and die?

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 12:34pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyos
    So my time at the gym has been paying off. I feel a lot stronger, I'm able to lift more, but as I was caught up in the strength rush, I allowed my cardio to suffer. I've been drinking plenty of water, warming up properly, and really stretching out my calves, but for some reason as soon as I get a good rhythm going my feet go into horrible cramps. (got the weirdest looks when I grunted and nearly rolled off the treadmill!) I've tried different pairs of shoes, I know my water intake is fine, and I'm still stumped. Any advice on how I can stop my feet from wanting to curl up and die?
    You could possibly be over-stretching. Also, don't do long static/isometric stretching right before you do cardio. Hard or prolonged stretching causes microdamage to the muscles and tires them out, so if you're stretching your calves, ankles, etc. right before you run then that might explain it.

You have new shoes, which is good, but there still could be problems if they aren't right for your feet. For example, some people naturally over-pronate and certain brands are better for them then others. If you go to an othropedist or even a good shoe store and get fitted, they should be able to tell you if you have some issues with your feet.

Are you doing your cardio before or after lifting? If you do hard cardio/lifting on the same day in the same general time period, you're only going to do your best on the one you do first. So if you're lifting hard and then going for a run, your muscles are alreay going to be fatigued.

Your calf/foot/ankle muscles might also be weak and not up to the workout you want to do at this stage. Sometimes this is more of an issue then flexibility, and adding flexibility without strengthening will lead to instability which makes the weak muscles work even harder. Try some calf raises if you're not doing them already, and a wobble board or balance disc (10$ on ebay or at a sports store) is a great way to strengthen a lot of the small weird muscles in your lower leg.

In the short term, I'd suggest breaking your routine up more. Try doing intervals or sprints rather than prolonged steady cardio if the cramping keeps happening.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 12:35pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably ought to go to a serious running shoe store and have them check out you out. They'll analyze your running and how your feet strike the ground and provide combination of shoes and/or orthotics to correct any problems. Even better is if they have a running coach to correct any running form issues you have as well.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:11pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another possibility is plantar fasciitis - calf muscles cramping causes pain in the sole of the foot where they attach. Does it also happen in the morning when you wake up? I would suggest going to a Sports Medicine doc (they tend to be more geared towards athletes and athletic injuries than a standard orthopedist) to have it checked out. If it is PF, you will get some stretches and exercises as well as orthotics/supports to keep it from happening.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 2:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate the advice.
    I doubt it's plantar fascitis as my calves are just fine. The cramps are on the top of the foot (the knuckle-type area?). I do occasionally get cramps on the front of my shins. Form is entirely possible. I've never been much of a runner and only recently got my breathing right and proper.

Good call on the duality with the types of workouts. I used to do lifting before cardio, but now that my strength's at an acceptable level, I'm looking to increase stamina and drop some more fatty weight. I guess I should swap the order at this point, going for cardio first.

I've also tried your suggestion about the wobble board thing. I've been doing it for a while in conjunction with bicep curls and it's really helped my balance, although some of the foot/ankle shaking gets pretty violent at times.

To add another question: How in the hell can you stretch the muscles on the front of your shin?

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:04pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyos
    To add another question: How in the hell can you stretch the muscles on the front of your shin?
    You can do it by sitting in seiza (sitting with the front of feet/shins on the ground and ass on the back of your heels) or by doing this

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Tibial.../Standing.html

BUT a physical therapist friend of mine recently told me that you should not stretch the tibialis anterior unless you really need to do it, and many MAists get a little too much into stretching. Remember- flexible in a range where you're not strong = potential for disaster. The tibialis anterior has a lot of responsibiity for stabilizing your foot and ankle, so unless you feel a real need to have your foot invert beyond the normal range of motion (35 degress) it's better not to stretch it too much or too often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:07pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh - tops of the feet - never mind.

To stretch the tibialis anterior, try heel raises. But pain in the front (shin splints) is usually an overstretch situation. A lot of times it's caused by poor form when you run. Take Hitman's advice and have someone fit you with good shoes and check out your stride.
    Last edited by senseipookie; 10/23/2007 3:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again, thanks for the advice. I'm fairly certain that my running form is screwed from years of fencing. Hell, it's messed up my walking and standing form, even. The stretch linked earlier was a very common one we did, so I'm wondering if I perhaps overdid it years ago.

I know I'm full of questions, but I'm glad I've gotten some good responses. Now I know who to make appointments with.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how big are you? (stress fractures maybe?)

I thought i had a pdf with some simple foot exercises (from runners and sprinter) but I can't find it. I've posted it before tho... maybe someone has a copy.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shot up from 180 to 230 before I started working out, and have gone back down to 220. I've always been large-framed with 170 being my lightest adult weight at 5'8". Stress fractures are definitely an option, though I think that the cramps would crop up sooner.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast