Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:06pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was put on by the Black Dragon Society sponsored by the Kokorukai...Frank Dux was actually the first westerner to ever win in that Kumite.........

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what I found so far

Grand Master Jimmy Lyons, a 5 time World Champion, has worked with the U.S. Presidents Council on Physical Fitness and Sports on educating kids across the country on Physical Fitness as well as having worked with law enforcement agencies Nation-Wide on self defense training & "Say NO To Drugs" programs.

Grand Master, Jimmy Lyons is also the proud owner of the ABA Basketball Team in Montgomery, Alabama and along with AJ DiScala, Beverly Hills Banker & CEO of Brax Capital Group, owners of the ABA Basketball Teams in Orlando, FL & Tallahassee, FL.

Grand Master Jimmy Lyons is paving his way for success, he is launching Tyson Sports LLC. in 2007.

United States of America (Press Release) August 13, 2007 -- Jimmy Lyons, former 5 times World International Martial Arts Champion is proud to announce, the new Sports Arena scheduled to be built in 2008, in Orlando, Florida. Mr. Lyons is the owner of Tyson Sports, named after good friend Mike Tyson, former Heavy Weight World Champion.
    The new $50 million facility will have many exciting, entertaining amenities. Mr. Lyons stated, “ I won’t go into detail about the new arena, but I will say the sports arena will have amenities such as a, mini mall, sports museum and possibly a major league soccer team.”
    According to sources, Mr. Lyons and old time friend David Beckham, [COLOR=#000000! important][COLOR=#000000! important]World [COLOR=#000000! important]Soccer[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Great, will be attending the sports arena’s grand opening. According to Mr. Lyons, the goal of the sports arena is to bring a variety of sports and entertainment to Orlando, FL. Mr. Lyons stated, “ I promise to bring sports such as Professional Boxing, UFC Fighting, WWE, Major League Soccer and all Minor League Sports.
    Lyons has several investors for the sports arena, ranging from Hollywood Celebrities, Nascar, NBA Players as well as Pro Boxers. Lyons is still open to interested investors, for more information you can contact Jimmy Lyons at: jimmylyons411@yahoo.com or 407-240-1444.

Thats it... I think its pretty much the same thing, I couldn't find anything on MMA

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel
    If you go check it out...I'll go with you...
    Cool. I couldn't find a website so I may just drive by today to see when the school is open. I'll let you know.

On a side note Chink......big fight this Saturday - Ramos v. Gomez at the UCF Arena, should be a great fight and a good show; the card is stacked with talent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    On a side note Chink......big fight this Saturday - Ramos v. Gomez at the UCF Arena, should be a great fight and a good show; the card is stacked with talent.
    Yeah man..I'd go, but I'm going to be out of town :o(

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 8:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PART I

So I walked into the school and spoke directly to Jimmy Lyons at around 5:30pm today.

The awning in front of the school read "Tea Kwon Do **** Kickboxing **** MMA"

The school was pretty small and the mat space was maybe 20'x20' with three heavy bags hanging over the door side of the mat.

The mats were pretty bad, i.e., Day Care puzzle mats.

When I walked in there were two people on the mats "working out". Both women; one dressed in a TKD Gi with a yellow belt and the other in the typical cardio kickboxing get up. The cardio chick was running laps and looked to be in pretty good shape. The TKD girl was definitely overweight but she was wearing a sweat suit under her gi so she was obviously working on getting in shape.

So far not bad, the gym was small and kind of dingy but that didn't mean the training or instruction was bad it just meant that the gym didn't have a load of capital to get some good mats and gear......

Then I spoke with Jimmy Lyons.......

I was up front with him from the get go. I told him I usually train grappling and BJJ with American Top Team near UCF but that his gym was only 5 minutes from my house and I would like to have an option to still train if I could not make the 35 minute trip to ATT.

I asked him when his MMA class trained.

He said that the beginners trained on Mon, Wed, and Fri at 7pm and the more advanced guys and a few "pro fighters" came in on the weekends.

I asked him about his 5 MMA World Championships and specifically asked what promotions he held belts in and at what weight class. He said he fought for a bunch of promotions over in Japan that I probably had not heard of. I said that I actually heard of a few and asked him if he fought in Pride, Deep, Pancrease or Shooto. He said "none of those, but I fought a few MMA guys when kickboxing." When I asked again what promotions he fought in he failed to provide any specifics and asked me if I had ever been to Japan. I said no.

I then asked him who taught the grappling at his school. His response was that he has a few wrestlers come in and train and one of the guys was a Pro Wrastler from the TNA production. He then said he had an MMA pro come in on the weekends who had more than 80 fights. He told me the name but I can't remember him.

He then said that he does not teach grappling to his students until much later in their training because he has found that MMA fighters who train grappling first get knocked out more and that he "has never had a fight go to the ground anyway."

........um, what? my thought was that he is "teaching" MMA but does not think grappling is an important aspect of the training...actually, he thinks that training grappling is more harmful to a MMA fighter.

What I actually said in response was a nod of my head and a "uh ha, hmmm."

I asked him if he had anyone come in to teach BJJ to his students. He said that he found that if you get 2 BJJ students from different masters on the mat there is always conflict in the way in which things are taught and there is uncomfortable tension.

He said he is having trouble getting people to stick with the MMA program because they don't want to train and I "must know that you have to actually train to get good at MMA." This is honestly the only accurate statement he proffered during our whole conversation.

He said he primarily focuses on the boxing, kickboxing, and TKD because that is where his experience lies.

Now he may very well be and accomplished kickboxer but I was not able to find any listing for "Jimmy Lyons" here for boxing...

http://www.boxrec.com/search.php?sta...t=Go&pageID=48

There are a few "Jimmy Lyons" but none with boxing careers after 1954. I could not find a kickboxing record database.

I am planning on going to train with the guy at some point in the near future simply to get a clear picture of what he is pushing. However, my initial impression is that he may have a few amateur or unsanctioned pro boxing or kickboxing fights but he has absolutely no idea how to train MMA.

I told him that a few of the pros I train with at ATT have fought in the UFC and have outstanding contracts with the UFC to which he responded that he "has not been impressed with the UFC fighters" and that "they didn't know how to use there hands".

I was not able to get a straight forward answer regarding what, if any, promotions he has been labeled "World Champion" of.

I will do a little more digging and I will also go and train with the guy.

Chink...you have been focusing in on your Muay Thai for a while now correct? It would be good to have someone with at least a basic knowledge of proper striking training and form go with me as I do not feel qualified to comment on the striking instruction.

EDIT - Here is the "coming soon" website for the gym...http://www.tkd411.com/....none of the flash pics shown are Jimmy Lyons.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 10/23/2007 8:59pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a godawful bunch of vocal poop he yapped. He asked you if you have ever been to Japan to see how much bullshit he can try to get away with... meh, this is going to be interesting.

I dunno, this guy sounds like a dude from a striking background with a chip on his shoulder and contempt to MMA, UFC, and grappling. Oh well.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 8:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    PART I
    Chink...you have been focusing in on your Muay Thai for a while now correct? It would be good to have someone with at least a basic knowledge of proper striking training and form go with me as I do not feel qualified to comment on the striking instruction.

EDIT - Here is the "coming soon" website for the gym...http://www.tkd411.com/....none of the flash pics shown are Jimmy Lyons.
    Yessir...been training steadily for 2 years of MT now...plus I did 11 years of TKD prior to...

I'm nothing special at it, I spar with the guys who fight and stuff...haven't fought, myself yet...but I'll be happy to come along...watch a class, partake in one if you're going to, and spar the guy if need be...lemme know.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask to see his trophies, failing that knock him out.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man GJonas, you were lucky, I'm kinda disappointed that upon hearing that you workout with pro-fighters and are part ATT he didn't invite you to fill the position of head master grappler guru for his "fighting" team
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 10:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChinkOfSteel
    Yessir...been training steadily for 2 years of MT now...plus I did 11 years of TKD prior to...

I'm nothing special at it, I spar with the guys who fight and stuff...haven't fought, myself yet...but I'll be happy to come along...watch a class, partake in one if you're going to, and spar the guy if need be...lemme know.
    Perfect. ****, 2 years under Bobby Robare actually IS pretty special.

I'm definitely going to take a class. Can't get a feel by watching. Hopefully there will be time to roll/spar as well (assuming they do that at the end of class).

I'll let you know and we'll coordinate an appearance.

I definitely do not want the "dojo storming" feel; simply participate, listen, train, and come back here with our observations.

Although, if we spar I would like to see how he responds to a double leg shot or a clinch to take down seeing as he feels the ground is the least important aspect of MMA training.

Quote Originally Posted by El Neko
    Man GJonas, you were lucky, I'm kinda disappointed that upon hearing that you workout with pro-fighters and are part ATT he didn't invite you to fill the position of head master grappler guru for his "fighting" team
    HA, LOL. I would have to respectfully decline the position for fear of getting laughed at and choked out and "t-bagged" by Ben Saunders and Paul Rodriguez when I tell them tonight.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 10/24/2007 10:15am at .
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast