Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 6:01pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so heres the update from the conference

Monte Cox is the CEO of M-1 (not owner)

In a press release on Monday, it was announced that the newly formed Sibling Sports, LLC is the company behind M-1 Global, LLC, a new mixed martial arts company believed to be the new home of highly sought after free agent Fedor Emelianenko.

It was also revealed that Monte Cox, a veteran of the mixed martial arts industry, was named President and CEO of M-1 Global.

Though not stated in the release, it is commonly believed that M-1 Global will, at a press conference on Monday, be announced as the organization that has signed Emelianenko, currently ranked as the No. 1 heavyweight fighter in the world by MMAWeekly.com.

"We are excited to announce the formation of Sibling Sports, LLC and our new mixed martial arts organization M-1 Global," said Mitchell Maxwell, President and CEO of Sibling Holdings. "Mixed martial arts is the fastest growing sport in America. It is the boxing of the 21st century.

"We have pulled together a world-class group of people to lead our new organization. Our new management team has extensive mixed martial arts experience in Europe, Russia, Asia and the U.S.,” he continued.

"We are pleased to announce Monte Cox as our CEO. Monte has been recognized as one of the most influential persons in mixed martial arts in the world today. He is generally considered one of the world's most successful fight managers, having produced a record seven world champions in the Ultimate Fighting Championship and built an impressive team of nearly 60 world-class competitors."

“It’s exciting,” Cox told MMAWeekly.com. “I’ve accomplished almost everything a person can accomplish in MMA. I’ve managed world champions. I’ve take guys from the beginning of their careers and seen them grow, helping them along. I’ve run smaller shows. The one thing I haven’t done is I’ve never worked for a big show.

“All of us in MMA sit back and criticize and talk about how if it was us, we’d do it different. Well, now I have that opportunity.”

"I have been involved in mixed martial arts for almost 13 years. While I have been offered many other positions over the years, this is the first one that I have accepted,” said Cox. “I am elated to have the opportunity to work with Mitchell Maxwell and the great team of managers he has been able to assemble. We look forward to continuing to move mixed martial arts into the mainstream, not only here in the U.S., but worldwide.

"We have developed an alliance with M-1 Mix Fight and we are honored to be working with Vadim Finkelchtein, Apy Echteld, and Joost Raimond. They have many years of experience managing fighters and staging events in Europe, Russia, and Asia. Rounding out our new management team are Bob Clark, currently serving as President of Sibling Theatricals, and Brian Patton, a CPA, and business manager for MMA legend Matt Hughes."
    SOURCE

and this one
    http://www.forbes.com/prnewswire/fee...___NYM062.html

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 7:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here's the complete summary of the conference from mmajunkies front page

It’s Official: Fedor Emelianenko Signs With M-1 Global
    Posted by MMA Junkie on October 22, 2007 at 7:03 pm ET
    Top free-agent fighter Fedor Emelianenko, the heavyweight champion of the now-defunct PRIDE Fighting Championships, has signed a new six-fight, two-year deal with M-1 Global.

The signing was announced this evening at a press conference in New York City.

M-1 Global was previously known as M-1 Mix-Fight Championship. The Russian-based organization had been owned by Emelianenko’s manager, Vadim Finkelstein. However, Sibling Sports LLC today announced it had purchased the organization with the intention of making it a true international promotion.

Once the organization signs a television deal — something executives expect to happen soon — the organization’s first event will be announced. It’s expected to take place in February, and while Emelianenko will be on the card, his opponent is not yet known.

“We’re looking for the best opponents available (for Emelianenko),” said Monte Cox, one of MMA’s top fighter agents who today was named chief executive officer of M-1 Global. “There’s a couple guys who we heard became free. I don’t know. It’s just a rumor.“

The tongue-in-cheek comment was likely in reference to Randy Couture, the UFC heavyweight champion who abruptly resigned from the organization earlier this month. UFC President Dana White continues to label it a retirement, though Couture says he will fight again. During media events this past weekend at UFC 77, White said he will not release Couture from his contract. Couture has two fights remaining on the deal, and White hinted that the matter will likely have to be settled by the courts.

When asked about Couture at today’s press conference, Emelianenko admitted that he’d like to fight the 44-year-old UFC hall-of-famer.

“These days, he’s the strongest fighter,” Emelianenko said through a translator. “It would be an honor for me to fight him… whether it’s in cooperation with the UFC or not.

As part of his new deal, Emelianenko will be allowed to fight outside the organization. Additionally, he requested — and received — a special clause in his contract that requires M-1 Global to offer the UFC heavyweight champion $1 million more than what the UFC offers for a fight with Emelianenko.

Emelianenko specifically mentioned that clause when a reporter asked him about rumors he was unwilling to fight certain opponents, such as Tim Sylvia, if he were to sign with the UFC.

“I hope (that clause) demonstrates how I am not afraid to fight anyone,” Emelianenko said.

Cox said the organization will announce the signings of additional fighters in the next 7-10 days. He also predicted that fighters from other organizations, such as the UFC, will look to M-1 Global when their contracts expire.

One reoccurring theme mentioned in today’s press conference by M-1 Global executives was that the organization will be a true international organization that will recruit international talent while hosting shows throughout the world. Emelianenko specifically mentioned Japan, where PRIDE used to do business. The PRIDE 2004 Grand Prix winner said he hopes M-1 Global can fill the void left by PRIDE’s demise.

The owners of Zuffa LLC (the UFC’s parent company) purchased PRIDE back in March but recently shut down the organization.

As for the immediate future of M-1 Global, Cox said that additional news about the organization will be announced in the next few weeks. This evening’s press conference, he said, was intended to highlight one fighter who he thinks will initially carry the organization.

“Today is all about Fedor Emelianenko,” he said.
    this is going to be awesome!!!! Dana should be worried

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 7:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know pizdoff is going to get mad at you.:)

Man, looks like we finally have a legit sounding competition to the UFC. If that clause is true damn. You know young fighters are looking at this licking their lips.

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    now why would PD get mad? cuz its front page news worthy and he wants to be the first to post it?

ha HA!

anyway, for sure, there'll plenty of guys licking their chops at this. Think of all the UFC vets that have been thrown to the side by Dana. There have been lots

and Monte Cox no doubt has a huge influence on fighters based on his status.

I imagine ties with dana and monte will sour REAL soon when monte starts to pull off moves that blow Dana's mind away. Then Dana will probably try to burry any of monte's up-and-comer type guys in the UFC.

I hope Mark Cuban does get the TV deal with them so the company can be solidified as a true competitor for UFC. (seems likely)

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 8:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I might actually have to stop rooting against Cuban if this all comes together.

It'll also be harder to hold fighters down and cherry pick people. He had a bad fight you are done. You argued with me you are done.

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 9:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why would u have rooted against Cuban in the past?
    as an NBA fan, i liked what he did for the sport and his team. He's passionate and cares more about the sport than the dollar signs

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 10:36pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so the ufc buys pride (and it looks now like that was just to eliminate their competition) and sinks a bunch of money there, fedor signs with M-1 over the ufc, then randy leaves the ufc, then henderson doesnt sign an extension with the ufc and now M-1 is starting to look good...
    anybody else think pride may end up with the last laugh in this whole thing

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 11:26pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 11:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jackass

IIF, u were right....haha

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The recent article on sherdog regarding the financial status of the UFC leads me to think that M1 is doomed. If staging shows in ireland and england seriously impacts the UFC's finances, a startup that from the get go is operating on a global scale is doomed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast