Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to clarify...our hammerfists are from quite a few different angles-I've found that "sinking down" and getting waist raotation and throwing the hands aout there is very important. Our style is pretty deficient on footwork oo. Literally ALL our footwork is stepping in a flat-footed, slightly wider than shoulder width, both feet pointing the same way, dead-on to the opponent stance (one foot in front of the other, mind.) When I asked about boxing stances or being on the toes they were just like "Uhh, stability, grip the ground, uhh..." (Just for tyhe record, I do actually like my school it just could be a lot better)

Style
    BJJ/Shidokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Platts
    Just to clarify...our hammerfists are from quite a few different angles-I've found that "sinking down" and getting waist raotation and throwing the hands aout there is very important. Our style is pretty deficient on footwork oo. Literally ALL our footwork is stepping in a flat-footed, slightly wider than shoulder width, both feet pointing the same way, dead-on to the opponent stance (one foot in front of the other, mind.) When I asked about boxing stances or being on the toes they were just like "Uhh, stability, grip the ground, uhh..." (Just for tyhe record, I do actually like my school it just could be a lot better)
    Are you sparring frequently in your school? I think I found your schools website and it doesn't really look like you do a lot of practical training.

http://www.gingmo.com.au

Style
    BJJ, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The system I train in uses only hammer fists, palm strikes and phoenik eye fists (index finger knuckle) strikes.
    Honestly...this is one of the most retarded things I have ever heard. How in the wide wide world of sports can you be expected to throw a good phoenix eye fist if you don't train punching w/ a regular fist? Besides...the phoenix eye is really only good if you hit a few specific spots on the body (and even then it is pretty shitty).

Is this practical?
    Hell **** no.

Will I get killed trying to use them against a boxer, a good fighter, or a thug?
    Yes, Yes, and yes. And against any halfway decent highschool athlete.

Should I add other hand strikes (we also do elbows by the way).
    No. You shoudln't "add" anything. You should quit the school you train at and run as far away from it as you possibly can.

And your style is deficient in footwork too?

Ryan...seriously...why are you asking questions that you already know the answer to? Why are you spending time, energy and money on something that is not efficient or effective? If you, as a newbie, can already see gaping holes in your fighting style, imagine what someone who has fighting experience and skills are going to be able to see?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Are you sparring frequently in your school? I think I found your schools website and it doesn't really look like you do a lot of practical training.

http://www.gingmo.com.au
    That's an understatement :) I went through that website up and down, and I couldn't find any reference to sparring (I need a redflag smilie here.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    TSD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkD1fgkHl20

It looks pretty though. So it's not all bad.

Style
    BJJ, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *insert Simpsons Comic Book Guy voice*...Worst...Video...Ever...

Nice shiney pants!

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said. supporting member
    Style
    SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    *insert Simpsons Comic Book Guy voice*...Worst...Video...Ever...

Nice shiney pants!

You guys look at the tuition plan? I think this thread needs to be moved to the Bullshido section. What the ****?

Time to leave that school like the building's on fire and all your instructors have syphilus and leprosy.

I wish I had seen the school's website before I answered the question because my advice would have been "Leave you school now" rather than a bunch of crap about palm strikes.
    Last edited by JP; 10/16/2007 3:22pm at .
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Style
    StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    You guys look at the tuition plan? I think this thread needs to be moved to the Bullshido section. What the ****?

Time to leave that school like the building's on fire and all your instructors have syphilus and leprosy.

I wish I had seen the school's website before I answered the question because my advice would have been "Leave you school now" rather than a bunch of crap about palm strikes.
    Jesus! I just looked at it & I concur! Run Away!!!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Style
    BJJ/Shidokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember guys those are Australian dollars so its not "quite" as bad as it looks. Still too expensive but its not as much absolute robbery. Also I don't know the going rate of training down under.

Style
    StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Remember guys those are Australian dollars so its not "quite" as bad as it looks. Still too expensive but its not as much absolute robbery. Also I don't know the going rate of training down under.
    Hey, I don't care. That was crap. $27.53 per week for 39 weeks if you're 14 and your name starts with an "R", but if you're 12 and you're a redhead with Sickle Cell you pay $284 every 51 weeks unless you can only train on days that start with "T" & then you have to pay $2.98 every day for 312 days...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Page 1 of 3 123 Last