Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

newbie Itroduction

I gotta get this message about posting off my screen so, here you go.

I have been taking Shito-Ryu Karate for a couple of months. Of course I realise that it is not much for actual fighting, but it does keep me off the couch.

But here is the deal. I spent some time in the Marines and did a lot of hand to hand training there. I'm not saying it was good training like a private gym, but we did fight for fun often, and I will say that virtually all of the fights went to the ground.

So here I am taking Karate with light to no contact, and can't help but feel stupid. I am 31 and 170 pounds at 5' 10". Exactly how am I supposed to spar with this 12 year old girl???

The solution: I go to my first BJJ class tonight at a MMA school, with full resistance.

You are now free to attack my typing, my brush with Karate, and my character.

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, Bald1! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Style
    San Da, Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HaHA I beat the bots!. Welcome!

So have you dropped the karate or are you doing both?.

-edit

Dammit!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will have to see about the karate. The whole reason I started there in the first place was the fact that I live in the sticks.

The gym I am going to tonight will be 1.5 hour drive. The karate is 30 minutes. Maybe I will do both, but probably not.

I just feel sorry for the dojo I am at. They are genuine, and could use all the students they can get. However, I don't owe them anything. Their situation is depressing.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little update:

After several BJJ classes, I now know without any doubt, that I suck. First night five tapouts and I know the guys were going easy on me.

I was going to continue training for a while longer in Karate. However I was informed that due to my training in other systems, the deep secrets of Shito-Ryu could no longer be tought to me. Problem solved.

So I will no longer have the pleasure of flailing my arms like an idiot, and scaring small children.

What really bothers me is that you spend hours on the stupid katas. There is like dozens of different stances. But then when you spar all of those stances go out the door and you go to a "fighting" stance. WTF? If you train traditional and it is so good, why not spar with it?

Absolute Jiu-jitsu in Bristol, TN is now my only gym. They pride themselves on their tounament wins and they are not afraid to bring the pain. Just what the doctor ordered.

Style
    San Da, Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pain is a good cleanser.

Style
    Taij
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pain is always good.

Style
    BJJ/MMA - running away
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone sucks at first. People just have to leave their ego at the door. Soon enough you'll be beating the new guys.

...and I still suck.

Style
    jkd concepts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting tapped out is how you learn.

Hang in there! Everybody gets tapped out.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. It’s the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."