223795 Bullies, 3968 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Fighting larger opponents; how important?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Important, I'm usually smaller

24 32.43%
  • Important, I'd like to know that I could fare well

40 54.05%
  • Doesn't matter, I usually fight in my own weight class

1 1.35%
  • Not Important, I already know I can handle them

2 2.70%
  • Not an issue, I'm bigger than everyone

7 9.46%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 1:40pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Very important. From a sporting perspective, it lets you get more impressive wins. From a martial arts perspective, if you can't beat bigger guys, whats the point?
    We have a winner!!

//also small at 5'5 - 5'6" @ 151lb @ 13% BF
    ///used to be 112lb a few years ago.
    ///still wants to hit 175.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 7:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    At 6'3 and 275, atheletic (I'm only guessing because youre style feild says BJJ and you say you play ball) how many people out their can 'really' kick your ass? What, Chiek Kongo? Bob Sapp? Coutre? Sylvia? OK, now tell me if 'normal' people can kick your ass?
    I don't know haha. I don't really get in to fights. Respect and rationality is the best self defense system known to man. I've walked away from a lot of situations, and no matter how big and athletic you are, there is still some people out there bigger and more athletic then you.

To the other guy, what do you mean by my level? Like skill, size, or both?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 8:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyk
    To the other guy, what do you mean by my level? Like skill, size, or both?
    All of the above in various combinations. How many times do you find yourself losing to a smaller guy, a bigger guy... same rank and experience level? While I suspect that someone of a higher rank will play with you, I'm guessing that you usualy outmuscle guys at your experience level who are smaller than you are.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gangrelchilde
    All of the above in various combinations. How many times do you find yourself losing to a smaller guy, a bigger guy... same rank and experience level? While I suspect that someone of a higher rank will play with you, I'm guessing that you usualy outmuscle guys at your experience level who are smaller than you are.
    People who are signifigantly smaller, even some purple and brown belts really can't do much to me. However I find myself in a stalemate with them. However the ones that are within about 50 lbs. I just get outclassed on the ground. Standing up and clinch though I can generally beat almost anyone at my gym. Guys around my level I can end up muscling in to position, but it takes some skill to actually finish them off, especially if fatigue sets in.

MMA does not yet get the same level of athlete that Football and Basketball does here in the USA. I'm about equal in size and athleticism for most guys at my position in college football, however I walk in to an MMA gym and it's just still not there yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pretty much the answer I expected :)

Flyweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 5'8 and 125, but most people assume I'm about 20lbs heavier for some reason. I'm the lightest person in class besides a girl who's probably 5'2" and 90lbs. I'm able to put up a good fight to anyone probably 170 or below. Any heavier than that, I start having a hard time because they can basically just pick me up and throw me around at will.

There are a few advantages to being the smaller guy. I can be a lot more mobile than some of the bigger guys and I can often slip out of things that others can't. However, if someone gets me flattened out in a cross body or something like that, I'm done for.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345