232543 Bullies, 4503 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Fighting larger opponents; how important?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Important, I'm usually smaller

24 32.43%
  • Important, I'd like to know that I could fare well

40 54.05%
  • Doesn't matter, I usually fight in my own weight class

1 1.35%
  • Not Important, I already know I can handle them

2 2.70%
  • Not an issue, I'm bigger than everyone

7 9.46%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:23am

Style: Defense Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm about 6' / 150 lbs and almost always sparring with heavier dudes. It's good for my conditioning and perhaps to my technique too, but as long as they aren't too big (and skillful). It's very frustrating to end up under 200 pound dude, who has done Judo from age of 6.

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 3:39am

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm about 5'6 and 145 pounds. I usually have to spar against people in a higher weight class than me and usually taller. I have to deal with the reach advantage my opponent's usually have over me as well as the weight. It's helped with my techniques though. I guess I'm a mix between an in-boxing type and an out-boxing type.

Then again, I haven't sparred since Feburary. School is doing poorly and I rarely go.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 4:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Nothing makes me happier than totally humiliating some monster freak of nature who, by sheer size intimidation, has very little experience and has actually bought into thier own hype. Seeing a broken spirit who will shamefully remember the mauling I just brought fills my heart with joy.

Beating a small guy - not so much fun. I didn't say NO FUN - I just said not as much!
    I couldn't agree more. Apart from the fact that I'll be hard pressed to ever find someone weighing less than me. The day I lose to someone smaller AND lighter than me, I will probably be pretty much heartbroken. But I wonder if such a person even exists.
    More human than human is our motto.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 5:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6'1 133 lbs (just gained 3 lbs in last 3 months, finally).

I am usually one of the taller people while sparring, but the lightest. Usually have to jab and move, jab and move. I'm sort of used to having it feel like my punches and kicks are inneffective against certain folks (the ones that are 200+), unless I am very technical with timing and aim.

(if this doesn't make sense, it's becuase I haven't slept and need to).

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 7:04am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    kata guruma is awesome. most people enter for it too slowly, though.. or make it really obvious through body language that "I AM ABOUT TO THROW KATA GURUMA"... but otherwise i think it's a great little person throw. also i think a lot of people see it and think "oh no i have to be really strong to do that".. which is luckily not the case. :)

for kouchi gari do you do the footsweep or hooking/sutemi-waza version? i never throw the damn thing.. my leg wants to do ouchi gari or uchi mata instead. =P

my tai otoshi is the suck, but i <3 osoto gari, and people say that's a bigger person throw too.

nonsense, i say. you just gotta throw it like i do.. from the side, to the side, ftw.
    That's what I say, too. It's working for me, so I'm not gonna stop doing it, y'know?

For kouchi, I prefer to do the footsweep one, it requires less force and it's harder to get driven over from that. I do the footsweep, and if the guy defends and steps back with the foot being swept, I immediately attack with tai otoshi. It's probably my best setup.

I also do a bastardized version of the hooking version, mostly as a setup though. I hook and pretend to drive, then raise my hooking leg up to where I can grab his leg with my same-side arm, then attack with a single leg or kuchiki taoshi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 7:28am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyk
    I'm 6'3'' 275, still playing college ball. You small guys have it easy. See if you get your ass kicked, it's not embarrassing and people will just say "Oh well he lost to the bigger guy". However for us big guys, we get our ass kicked and it's like we're a joke that needs to go in to hiding.

And how often do you find yourself losing to guys at your level? I mean getting your ass kicked by a smaller purple belt, for example, not a big deal, you're just outclassed. But really, how often do you lose to someone at your own level? You probably use more muscle than you're aware of.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 7:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wing chun/ BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 5'6'' and 130lbs so I'm pretty small and skinny. It's important for me to be able to at least hang with bigger people my skill level (white belt n00bness) because 90% of my gym is at least 20lbs heavier than me. On some lucky, lucky days...I have to give up 60lbs to the other guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 8:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    That's what I say, too. It's working for me, so I'm not gonna stop doing it, y'know?

For kouchi, I prefer to do the footsweep one, it requires less force and it's harder to get driven over from that. I do the footsweep, and if the guy defends and steps back with the foot being swept, I immediately attack with tai otoshi. It's probably my best setup.

I also do a bastardized version of the hooking version, mostly as a setup though. I hook and pretend to drive, then raise my hooking leg up to where I can grab his leg with my same-side arm, then attack with a single leg or kuchiki taoshi.
    ah yes, the kouchi->single leg.. the last thing many judoka expect. ;D

god, i miss judo. sometimes i wonder why i even bother with cross-training. =P

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 10:58am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris posting on this thread has completely validated it. *is surprised the obligatory gif isn't already there*

Oh, and I'm a 5'7" 155lb semi-midget too and i want to beat up on the big guys and choke thems as well lolz.

but more importantly I want to be able to handle big asshats outside of the gym. so far, so good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 12:44pm

Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rather important to me, I started out in college @ 155, but hit the weights and whatnot for the duration of college to get @ 180. I can at least hang with guys who are big and strong (ie 6'2, 6'3 @ 200+) and not get totally decimated, overall I try not to muscle people, but I just try to focus on technique and not raw strength.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast