218308 Bullies, 5042 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Fighting larger opponents; how important?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Important, I'm usually smaller

    24 32.43%
  • Important, I'd like to know that I could fare well

    40 54.05%
  • Doesn't matter, I usually fight in my own weight class

    1 1.35%
  • Not Important, I already know I can handle them

    2 2.70%
  • Not an issue, I'm bigger than everyone

    7 9.46%
Results 21 to 30 of 46
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. ViciousFlamingo is online now
    ViciousFlamingo's Avatar

    Pingo

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,189

    Points
    2,313
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 6:35pm


     Style: BJJ & Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Woot!!! Someone in my weight class finally!!!!!!! Of course I'm about 1.5 inches taller than you.

    Have you not gone through your growth spurt VF? I mean seriously
    I'm Asian. You insensitive racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    out of curiosity, what are your judo tokui-waza?
    I'm not good enough to have tokui-waza, but my (relatively) best throws are kata guruma, tai otoshi, and kouchi gari. I've heard from a few people that tai otoshi is a bigger-guy throw, but I don't care.
  2. gangrelchilde is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    173

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 6:50pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hui_Xiu
    I hear that. I think when you have a size disadvantage, it makes you work a lot harder. Your weaknesses can be exposed easily.

    I think the smaller person actually gets more out of the training that way.

    I 100% agree with the first comment; my techn ique has to be solid because I'm a freakng pipsqueak. I do not agree with the second comment, however. At 5'3" and 130-ish, I'm *always* the smallest student in class. If I am working with a classmate who actually grasps that fact, I'm in good shape. If I am working with a classmate who is a complete tool and decides he's going to do alpha male muscle-jitsu, well, I'm not at the skill level where I can mangle the son of a bitch. Fortunately I don't have tools in my class. :)

    It especially sucks at tournaments because I'm in the Master's division (30-39 years old) and the fucktards that run Grappler's Quest and the Pennsylvania BJJ Federation seem to think they're doing me a goddamed favour by deciding that grappling someone I can bench press but is ten years younger than me is more unfair than grappling someone who is 25 pounds heavier but my age. Personally, I'd rather grapple the guys my own size. But nooooo..... :dontknow: My last opponent was at least seven inches taller than me and outweighed me by almost 30 pounds. That is NOT better than grappling some eighteen year old kid who is my weight.
  3. leere_form is offline
    leere_form's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    587

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 6:53pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    I'm not good enough to have tokui-waza, but my (relatively) best throws are kata guruma, tai otoshi, and kouchi gari. I've heard from a few people that tai otoshi is a bigger-guy throw, but I don't care.
    kata guruma is awesome. most people enter for it too slowly, though.. or make it really obvious through body language that "I AM ABOUT TO THROW KATA GURUMA"... but otherwise i think it's a great little person throw. also i think a lot of people see it and think "oh no i have to be really strong to do that".. which is luckily not the case. :)

    for kouchi gari do you do the footsweep or hooking/sutemi-waza version? i never throw the damn thing.. my leg wants to do ouchi gari or uchi mata instead. =P

    my tai otoshi is the suck, but i <3 osoto gari, and people say that's a bigger person throw too.

    nonsense, i say. you just gotta throw it like i do.. from the side, to the side, ftw.
  4. Squerlli is offline
    Squerlli's Avatar

    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NO! SLEEP! TILL BROOKLYN!
    Posts
    3,683

    Points
    17,514
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 8:03pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 5'8 140. Pretty good shape. I fucking hate tall people and strong people (weather it be by fat or just doing lots of weight work). I consider you a mortal enemy once your above 6'4. I also have a slight Napoleon complex and my goal in MMA is to fight Choi the 7 foot something fucker from Japan in an MMA fight. He'll be 35 when I'm 25 so thats when I want to fight him. Am I suicidal? Probably. Am I willing to try anyway? **** yeah. I fucking hate big people. Especially since I'm borderline short/average. I always meet fuckers slightly shorter then me that I usually throw around, but once weight and height become an issue... well, just re-play the Blackie Chan and Wing Chun guy fight from the last East Coast Mega TD in NY.
    It even happened to me today. Theres a boot leg MA club in my school and today we were doing what I would call the equivalent of ghetto no Gi clinch Judo. I threw around this new kid who was my size and under my weight by like 5 pounds. My friend Dmitry comes whos a kick boxer (not Muay Thai) and hes about an inch taller then me, at like 160 or 170. Something around that. I'm fuckin done. My ass is on the floor and I'm about to tap simply because of how heavy the fucker feels over me. This fucker muscled me around like a fuckin rag doll.
  5. MoooveZiiig is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 8:16pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 5'4", 145 pounds of muscular pwnz0r, yes I believe being able to defeat people of higher weight class important, because if I can't do that, I can't do much.

    Problem is twofold though. Finding clothes that fit me (medium is too long, small is too tight) and having a goddamned short reach.


    When i did Judo Kataguruma was also one of my best throws. And the one I used the most against much taller people. To quite a good extent, I must add.
  6. crazyk is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 9:22pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 6'3'' 275, still playing college ball. You small guys have it easy. See if you get your ass kicked, it's not embarrassing and people will just say "Oh well he lost to the bigger guy". However for us big guys, we get our ass kicked and it's like we're a joke that needs to go in to hiding.
  7. Squerlli is offline
    Squerlli's Avatar

    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NO! SLEEP! TILL BROOKLYN!
    Posts
    3,683

    Points
    17,514
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 9:55pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyk
    I'm 6'3'' 275, still playing college ball. You small guys have it easy. See if you get your ass kicked, it's not embarrassing and people will just say "Oh well he lost to the bigger guy". However for us big guys, we get our ass kicked and it's like we're a joke that needs to go in to hiding.
    At 6'3 and 275, atheletic (I'm only guessing because youre style feild says BJJ and you say you play ball) how many people out their can 'really' kick your ass? What, Chiek Kongo? Bob Sapp? Coutre? Sylvia? OK, now tell me if 'normal' people can kick your ass?
  8. FUNKtastic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    255

    Points
    2,805
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 11:18pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in my senior year of college about 6'0 and 178 lbs. I started college at 135 lbs and got up to 160-something in within two years. I started competing in the 160-170 category and just ate more until i broke past 170. My reasoning is that I'd rather be losing in the bottom of the weight class than winning at the top of another. I moved toward the heavy end of the new division but those guys are much much stronger than me so I like where I am. Actually when I go to tournaments I ask to be put into whatever category they got a guy at fight house joked he'd put me in with a 300 lbs BJJ purple belt, I had no problem with it --- the harder the fight, the better the experience.
  9. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,365

    Points
    16,727
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

    Posted On:
    10/22/2007 11:49pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm around 6'1'' and 190, but most people think I'm lighter than that for some reason (probably because I don't have big arms). Anyway, we sometimes play "king of the ring" in moving step. People are arranged around the edge by weight, and the lightest person plays the person next to him until the heaviest person plays. The goal is to accumulate points by throwing your opponenent while remaining standing or pushing them out of the ring without going out with them. Rounds are usually two minutes. Anyway, the person lighter than me in line is 170-175, but the person after me is 220-230. Its always pretty tough.

    In san da, the most satisfying thing for me is hitting a bigger opponent with a solid spinning back kick to the guts.
  10. Epicurus is offline

    I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,492

    Points
    11,760
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    10/23/2007 12:03am


     Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always have self-defense applications in mind when I train, so it's very important to me to be able to beat people significantly heavier than I am, since I expect if I end up in a fight outside the context of martial arts it would be against someone who thought they could win against me easily; i.e. someone bigger.

    Conversely, if I beat someone smaller than me, I consider it an effective "loss" if I had to struggle a lot for it.

    In my personal experience, size advantage is important. It forces the lighter participant to execute their techniques very precisely, and sometimes requires you to overhaul your usual gameplan (for example, no body triangles on people whose waist exceeds a certain diameter, etc.)

    I'm 6'1", 180 pounds, by the way.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.