Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 1:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Candid talk about Aikido

I studied Aikido for about 3 years, on and off, after several years of studying Okinawan Kenpo Karate, wrestling in school, Jujutsu, a bit of Tae kwon do and military combatives.

One night, many years ago, while riding my bike home from work, I was jumped by two guys. I had been studying Karate at the time, and beat the **** out of one of them, causing the other to leave. What lead me to Aikido later, was remembering punching this guy repeatedly in the face, and thinking later, there must be a better way.

You can understand the appeal of Aikido for me-claiming the ability to teach you to modify your response to the type of threat; the flowing, circular movements; using an opponents momentum against them, etc...intesting after years of punching, kicking, and grappling.

Although I was privileged to have worked with some great instructors-in the US, Japan, and Korea, here are a few candid observations about Aikido:

Lack of physical conditioning: I say this after years of Karate training so intense people would sometimes throw up in class. This style of training forces out the fakes and those lacking physical resolve. I remember who were overweight losing up to 30 lbs from the training.

Cooperative Kumite-no punching and kicking and how you would handle that with Aikido. Steven Seagal allowed this for people testing, and the results were always ugly-I'll give you a hint, the Aikido guy always ends up on his back with 2 or 3 people on top of him.

Not understanding or misinterpreting Morihei's teachings-and hell, I would never claim to understand them; I mean this in the broadest sense of the word. Morihei invented Aikido after years of studying martial arts for years-in his 30s he looks like a bad ass; most people know him from his 70s photos, looking like Yoda. I think he arrived at Aikido as a different path to meeting force with force, and later viewed it as a path to world peace. I think Aikido best compliments other martial arts, not as a stand alone system.

Wait until you master this-This was my biggest problem with Aikido. At least in Karate, even as a white belt, I was learning to punch and kick, and getting in top physical condition. In Aikido, you must have FAITH, that after practicing for 10 years, the techniques will be effective and lethal. That was always a sticking point with me, and turned me into one of those annoying "what if" guys in class.

Just me talking candidly. I hope no Aikido ninjas come after me. :ninja7:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aikido ninja here giving you an invitation to join us... i totally agree with all your points... but you can find similar things in other MA's... as others have stated about Osensei and other old timers, they came to aikido after they had already been well versed in other arts both grappling and striking, something few aikidoka today have. As for the wait until you master this or it takes 20 years for this technique... all total bullshit... learn an aikido technique your first day you are just as inept as your first day after learning any other MA technique. You may get a lucky punch in or some choke or arm bar but chances are it won't work until you have put your time in on the mat and learned how to apply it to a real situation/opponent.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    * Sits back
    * Calls Sochin and Spooks
    * Grabs popcorn and Beer
    * Let the good times roll...

Nothing good (edit) or new will come of this thread lol
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:19pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    learn an aikido technique your first day you are just as inept as your first day after learning any other MA technique. You may get a lucky punch in or some choke or arm bar but chances are it won't work until you have put your time in on the mat and learned how to apply it to a real situation/opponent.
    OK, how about after one month? Aikido compared to boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:20pm

Style: MM to tha A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like normal Aikido. Had a similar experience.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:25pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade
    Everyone has a concept of how to punch, even if its done badly however, the same people have absolutely no concept of what tachiwaza gyakuhamni tenshin ikkyo ude osae might be, even if I said that in English.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade

depends on the person, and their trainer... you may as well compare it to any physical activity like basketball or soccer... your skill depends on your initial lvl of physicality and the effectiveness of your trainer and training regime... not to mention the lvl of your opponent... you could be the pride of you high school basketball or wrestling coach but you would still get owned by michael jordan or an olympic wrestler... just a different lvl of play.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im not familiar with gayslang mate...

personally i would say: LuLz!!! aikido skirts!!!eleven1!!
    and: first get at least a bb in judo, before you start aikido,aikido isnt suited for ma noobs.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:31pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember my first day at Judo. We were doing Ne-Waza and I literally Aikido knee-walked right into an armbar.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 2:33pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *subscribe*
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
Page 1 of 71 1 23451151 ... LastLast