Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muay Thai/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob gi questions + BJJ>MT rant

So I went to a BJJ class for the first time in a while now (I believe my last one was back in March), and I found it SO much more of a workout than the chute boxe MT classes they now have at TOBJJ. Okay, maybe it was because I went for three hours straight through two classes (1.5 hrs no gi, 1.5 hrs with gi) and tired the **** out of myself, but honestly I find that BJJ tends to get the adrenaline pumping a lot more than MT. Perhaps the MT classes take into consideration that a lot of people go to the BJJ class before going to MT, but I think it's because the rolling in BJJ is a lot more serious than the sparring in MT. It's like you're actually fighting for your life; if you don't choke the other guy out, you're gonna get choked out. In MT it's all light sparring, and you're not constantly struggling to stay in a better position. Maybe I'm just not good enough in the MT class for heavier sparring.

All that aside, I've been told that it's best to cold wash and hang dry my gi. Is there any way I can get away with tumble drying it, and how will the cold wash affect my other whites (I'm used to using the "permanent press" option for both washing and drying)? I have a $80 GTMA gi, if that helps at all.

Also, what do I have to take into consideration when thinking about getting knee pads, rash guards, and crotch guards?

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! DarkXacreD posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Style
    BJJ, MT, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i usually wash in cold/cold and tumble dry low for 2 cycles.

Style
    Inept BJJer
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A gi can shrink unbelieveable amount in a dryer, so be careful. Mine lost several inches off the sleeves and the pants the first and only time I put it in the dryer.

Style
    Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaargh
    A gi can shrink unbelieveable amount in a dryer, so be careful. Mine lost several inches off the sleeves and the pants the first and only time I put it in the dryer.
    Yep, any heat will shrink your gi, including a hot wash. I also wouldn't wash it with your other whites the first few times (better safe than sorry), but after that I've got both bleached and unbleached gis that I wash with my other clothes all the time. If you don't have time to do a full wash, just hang it on the line to air, that'll get rid of most of the smell

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DO NOT TUMBLE DRY!!!!!! (specially if you have one of those cheap single-weave gis.) *

Have two gis. After each class, wash it in cold water and let it hang to dry. And while that one dries, you use your other gi.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Style
    Muay Thai/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will it shrink more and more each time I wash it?

And what's the difference between long and short sleeved rash guards?
    Also, what factors should I take into consideration when thinking about getting a rash guard/crotch guard? Are they entirely necessary?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    medium heat and it's fine for me.

Style
    BJJ, MT, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tumble dry low for 60-80 minutes. I got 3 gi's I keep in rotation.

On the exhaustion side, I think people tend to gas when they are nervous. I do fine in BJJ, but once we start MT sparring I get nervous and subsequently get tired.

Style
    Muay Thai/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Erm...I know this will probably be a dumb question, but...how do I tell if it's single or double weave? I think I read somewhere that double weave gis don't last as long...? What's the deal?

And the exhaustion thing I think it's because I kinda tire myself out since I'm still a noob and I try to power my way through things even though everyone outweighs me by at least 50 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last