Posted On:
    10/25/2007 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    Aren't you one of Marvin Perry's guys?
    No, I train with Paul Rosado(in the sense that I've not trained anywhere else while I've not been in there for two months...st...st..studio). They know each other though.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 9:57pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    No, I train with Paul Rosado [...]
    Oh! Chinese Kickboxing Club, innit? I don't know him personally, but I've heard good things, especially about his shuai jiao.

:)

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yamon, he was a national champ in submission fighting when he was younger...very serious dude. I like his standup training, when I spar him, it's hurting time..everytime. I wish I could make it more, my schedule is wierd though. I woke up in a hurry when I started there, I didn't even know what training was when I did forms....that's not everyone's story, but it is mine. Such is life.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 10:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    I'm know there are CMA guys that can fight, and there maybe an ancient system is out there that has the goods, but why look under rocks or in ancient texts etc, when we have modern, effective, workable systems today? I understand about maybe trying to preserve your culture, but if you have to modify everything to make it work, as opposed to a system that works right off- wrestling, Judo, BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai, Pro Sanda schools, etc, why learn a bunch of Hung Kuen forms and then have to go to a boxing/kickboxing gym to learn how to spar? Honestly, WuShu makes more sense, if you just want to preserve culture, as it take a lot of "cultural" elements- Chinese Opera, Acrobatics, Kung fu and turns them into a purely cultural display, for aesthetic reasons only.
    Every art modifies... I think others have touched on that so I will leave it alone. Some arts were around when one had to defend against certain weapons, certain types of attacks and use certain weapons, they survived because they were better arts developed in families that survived conflicts to teach the techniques. Its the same principle as arts that survive in the Octogon and arts that don't.

Would you say Sayoc Kali blade work is antiquated because practicioners have to make it work today? No. Family arts like Kali systems modify today and have techniques and principles that are designed against attacks that, although old could still be used today. Some principles of combat do not change, others do. A baseball bat is a weighted stick and believe you me many people use this ancient weapon to reaarange somoene's face.

your definition of what works is limited to a set of specific combat conditions. Any art is most effective under the conditions that it prepares people for. There are many ways an art "works." For example, practicing reversing a blade on somoene so your prints are not on the blade works in our society because of legal issues. It was not necessarily a consideration in ancient Japan. In a ring certain things work that i would not try if I had to fight using a blade against 3 attackers.

your bias is unwarranted. you are talking about two distinct things not one.... kung Fu, Wu Shu, going to the Shaolin temple and sitting in horse stance all day are ways to appeal to consumers who demand to be taught what they think Chinese martial arts should be. These are not fighting live arts. Traditional Chinese boxing systems are generally complete systems of combat that teach one how to fight. These arts do not prepare one to fight in a ring, but they did/do have a structure where they could be tested. Guys like you think nobody ever fought intelligently until what 50 years ago? :icon_mad: Those stupid Samurai if only they had known how to choke somoene out in a ring, they would have unified the country in a heart beat!

It would be good to remember that Robert Trais was a middle weight championship boxer in the military,who started an antiquated useless system of Karate (being sarcastic here) because a man half his size used this useless art to defeat him... to embarass him. Did that man become a boxer and prove the superiority of karate in the ring? no, in karate traditionally one does not fight in a ring. So your ideas about useful are relevant and part of the decisions, dialogue that many traditional martial artists are making, but not absolute.

Yes there are great martial artists like the Dog Brothers who are working this out and creating a way to test arts under real combat conditions.... You might see what arts they use in this process it might suprise you. yes they use modern Jui Jitsu, but they also use a lot of old traditional arts that have survived to this day because they are fighting arts.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789