Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 12:28am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Juuuust to play devil's advocate....
    How many of these wars have China won? I mean, we always here about CMA is awesome because it comes from Battlefield martial arts, but how many foreign powers have the Chinese not lost to in the past eight hundred years?
    Maybe their kung fu really is weak. :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

and you should check out this page in general

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_China

:)

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 1:47am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LowwerWay
    SanDa is an insignifican blip on the radar screen combarred to amatuer and professional mma. If Chinese martial arts are to survive other than in a few isolated pockets, they need to represent in these venues and succumb to the eventual assimilation that will occur.
    In amateur competition, san da is actually quite a popular ruleset round these parts. Not a blip. Not everything needs to become mma. I don't want to see Ernesto Hoost roll around on the ground, it aint that kind of party.

Kickboxing with throws is fun to watch, fun to do, and will grow more popular, just not for the recent mma converts who now hate all things in boxing gloves. I prefer to kickbox, it brings me joy.

Sport fighting is on the rise in general, no one sport has to suffer for the others to grow (exept perhaps boxing, but Ricky Hatton is fighting Floyd Mayweather, so I'm a happy mo fo).

To sound like a total hippy, it's all good. But it really is, more athletes are going into sport fighting instead of rasslin, football, etc...soon in highschools across america, mma jocks will be handing out wedgies to the football jocks, and probably a teacher or two.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 12:26pm

Style: ex-KF, now Judoka + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    In amateur competition, san da is actually quite a popular ruleset round these parts. Not a blip. Not everything needs to become mma. I don't want to see Ernesto Hoost roll around on the ground, it aint that kind of party.
    I'm glad you enjoy kickboxing. I do too. Sorry though, but SanDa is a very small blip on the radar screen. It might be popular where you are, and it will be in pockets. But answer these questions: Is is growing? Are there more fighters and events each year? Is it being televised nationally? Competitors will be attracted to where the best competition is, as well as the $$$. SanDa has to compete with K-1, muay thai, various other platforms such as kyukushin etc..., as well as grappling venues, and MMA for its pool of fighters and fans. I predict that SanDa will be virtually non-present in the United States within 10-15 years. Sorry.

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 12:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saturday, there was a san da/muay thai etc even in NYC, the battle of brooklyn...a new event (a few years now) but great. Cung le is showing his skillz in mma, bringing some awareness.
    The fight leagues that do striking based combat will get more and more san da practitioners.

As pressure from mma grows on other arts to prove themselves, more and more kung fu practitioners will likely enter san da tournaments/cards to show their thang. Not everyone grapples well, or wants to try in competition.

San da is a good ruleset for an exciting fight, (you hear tim sylvia and brandon vera get booed for five/ten minutes during their clinchwork?...high class fighting, but boring)
    It won't go away, and will grow...at a faster clip than tcma in this lawsuit happy age we live in. It's too easy to catch a case, using old d3adly instead of conventional, justafiable to judges, self defense.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 12:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saturday, there was a san da/muay thai etc even in NYC, the battle of brooklyn...a new event (a few years now) but great. Cung le is showing his skillz in mma, bringing some awareness.
    This is what I meant in another thread about Cung Le. This is now the second instance of the misconception.

*edit* He has fought.

I still need to see him fight better opponents.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/22/2007 1:16pm at .

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 1:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused. I saw cung in 4oz gloves fighting some dudes, what were the rule differences?
    was it strikeforce or summit? I must have missed your correction before, forgive!

I wasn't saying ufc, but the announcers seemed to suggest it was mma. I'm still sore from the BTD sat, you'll have to cut me a little slack, I'm distracted. I bruised up my entire lower left leg from kicking some of those guys so much...score one for cma, even if it's me (cos I suck something awful, I think Omega felt bad for me, he was so gentle)

now I think about it, most of us kickboxing were cma guys, I guess score one up for thigh conditioning on their part.

My only point was Cung Le is bringing good exposure and PR to san da/shou thanks to his success in fighting in more expanded rulesets. His takedown defense is pretty amazing, and it should lure kickboxers, boxers, and other stylists into the training, because the cardio is greeeeaaaat...and fighters often get paid on star quality as much as skill...exciting fights draw audiences (you need both, but exciting moves help big time).

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 1:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused. I saw cung in 4oz gloves fighting some dudes, what were the rule differences?
    was it strikeforce or summit? I must have missed your correction before, forgive!

I wasn't saying ufc, but the announcers seemed to suggest it was mma. I'm still sore from the BTD sat, you'll have to cut me a little slack, I'm distracted. I bruised up my entire lower left leg from kicking some of those guys so much...score one for cma, even if it's me (cos I suck something awful, I think Omega felt bad for me, he was so gentle)

now I think about it, most of us kickboxing were cma guys, I guess score one up for thigh conditioning on their part.

My only point was Cung Le is bringing good exposure and PR to san da/shou thanks to his success in fighting in more expanded rulesets. His takedown defense is pretty amazing, and it should lure kickboxers, boxers, and other stylists into the training, because the cardio is greeeeaaaat...and fighters often get paid on star quality as much as skill...exciting fights draw audiences (you need both, but exciting moves help big time).
    My bad he now has four MMA fights.

I forgot he signed up with Frank Shamrocks compnay. I still need to see him fight some decent MMA fighters before He is anointed as a MMA badass.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/22/2007 1:14pm at .

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San Da is defintely on the rise, heres a link to IMDB of the film I mentioned earlier. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388547/

Not only is the rule set entertaining and all that malarchy but it will also transition well into MMA. Essentially, where ever MT is san da can go and do well.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 1:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    San Da is defintely on the rise, heres a link to IMDB of the film I mentioned earlier. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388547/

Not only is the rule set entertaining and all that malarchy but it will also transition well into MMA. Essentially, where ever MT is san da can go and do well.
    When? Cung Le is one person. I will wait and see. Many Sanda schools don't work on submissions. When they start doing that then I will agree it will transition into MMA.

Oh, make sure you look into Cung Le extensively. Omega and Cung Le kung fu does not equal 95% of the kung fu in the world.

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 1:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    My bad he now has four MMA fights.

I forgot he signed up with Frank Shamrocks compnay. I still need to see him fight some decent MMA fighters before He is anointed as a MMA badass.
    I agree, he most def. needs to fight some class before he has any top tier mma credibility, but his san shou skills are crazy, so he promotes us well, whatever he's doing.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast