221903 Bullies, 4019 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 1:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certainly seems that way. One thing to bare in mind also is that Helio, bless his cotton socks, is touched in the head just a little fucking bit.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without having Tito's gigantic forehead :eng101:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Certainly seems that way. One thing to bare in mind also is that Helio, bless his cotton socks, is touched in the head just a little fucking bit.
    Hilarity.

He is abit eccentric isnt he.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is true that as Judo was propgated around the world, the terms Judo and jiujitsu (and yeah, it was usualy spelled jiujitsu or jujitsu and not jujutsu) were often used interchangably. It is also true that many Judoka cross trained or had backgrounds in more classical forms of JJJ. I think what we have here is a case of Kimura knowing Maeda was a Judoka and knowing that Helio had kodokan rank, so he simply used the term Judo as a catch all term even though Helio referred to his own art as Jiujitsu.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Bjj/Machado/Pittman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Helio Gracie weighed 170lbs? I always thought he was like 125-140lbs. 170, especially in the 1950's, is not that small. Everything I believed in is a lie!

Posted On:
    10/28/2007 10:10am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    This fight ocurred in 1955 [...] 30 years after Kano revamped the rules of Judo (in 1925). By the time this fight took place, Judo had over 3 decades of being clearly defined in its fundamental shape and form. [...] These blurry lines that you refer to would have been true if you were comparing Judo in its still formative periods of the 1910's and what Maeda taught to Carlos Gracie.
    I'm not much of a Judo historian, so forgive me if this is a foolish question. Kimura began his Judo training in 1927, which means that his instructors were all pre-revamp judoka with significant ne-waza experience. Wouldn't that make it likely that the Judo of Kimura was more like Maeda's Judo than the modern (especially post-WWII) stuff? That is: although what was taught at the Kodokan in 1955 was very different from what Maeda had, wouldn't the line between GJJ and Kimura's Judo be more "blurry"?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    it is not clear what exactly Maeda taught Carlos Gracie. [...] One thing is certain. Whatever Maeda taught the Gracies was not was was being taught as Judo during that time [...]
    I've read a bit about this, but I haven't really found anything that informative. The general consensus seems to be Judo + wrestling takedowns. Have you found anything else that seems reliable? Thanks in advance.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 11:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimura was taught by a man named Ushijima Tatsukushima. The dude had unnatural strength and had great newaza. Obviously this influenced Kimura. Judo forum tells more about him than I ever can.

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13087

Also search ushijima on that forum, if you have the time, you will find nuggets of gold about him.
    Last edited by ssabatin; 10/31/2007 12:32am at .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345