Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 2:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Toshindo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell me about the bujinkan. I hear a little bit going to seminars and what not. But the area I live in is really small so we don't have much exposure to other arts.

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 2:39pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenK04758 View Post
    Tell me about the bujinkan. I hear a little bit going to seminars and what not. But the area I live in is really small so we don't have much exposure to other arts.
    What do you want to know? It's hard to tell you "about the Bujinkan" because it isn't a single monolithic entity.

If you're curious about the typical criticisms of the Booj, you can certainly use the search function and find them pretty quickly. The typical criticisms tend to involve a high degree of Ninja Fantasy play, over-hyped claims of combat effectiveness, lack of sparring and pressure testing, and outdated training methods that they are reluctant to change.

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    What do you want to know? It's hard to tell you "about the Bujinkan" because it isn't a single monolithic entity.

If you're curious about the typical criticisms of the Booj, you can certainly use the search function and find them pretty quickly. The typical criticisms tend to involve a high degree of Ninja Fantasy play, over-hyped claims of combat effectiveness, lack of sparring and pressure testing, and outdated training methods that they are reluctant to change.
    and holding your arm out while the other guy pretends to kick your ass

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bujinkan use a lot bigger movements than we do with Toshindo. But that video isn't even remotely fair! That's just training. lol. Anyway, I guess I really don't know what I'm asking. Just about the bujinkan in general. See, up here there are only two martial arts schools. One is a Quest Center Toshindo that I go to and the other I'll refer to Cobra Kai wanna be's. lol. So I guess I'm after a background on your art? If that makes sense?

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 7:56pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bujinkan use a lot bigger movements than we do with Toshindo. But that video isn't even remotely fair! That's just training. lol. Anyway, I guess I really don't know what I'm asking. Just about the bujinkan in general. See, up here there are only two martial arts schools. One is a Quest Center Toshindo that I go to and the other I'll refer to Cobra Kai wanna be's. lol. So I guess I'm after a background on your art? If that makes sense?
    Ping me when you hit 25 posts. Then we can discuss through Private Messages. I'll be happy to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly about Booj in exchange for some insight on Toshindo. But I promise you that our conversation will simply get lost in the noise in the open forum.

In the meantime, use that search function to read the old posts. That will give you plenty of background.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 4:51am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And the realms really have nothing to do with weaponry as much as attitude. With Toshindo Ninjutsu your beginner level is Earth, very solid up and down movement in your taijutsu and a "rock in the stream" mentality. From there you go to water, lots of 45 degree movement and balance manipulation with a "you are the water going around the rock" attitude. From there is fire, very focused energy on stopping your opponent. Imagine there is an attacker between you and a loved one, that's the attitude. Next is wind, almost no muscle used and almost all balance manipulation. Last is void, which is blending all the previous realms depending on the situation. Then you get into blacks. Each realm has three belts (beginner, intermediate and advanced).
    similar concepts are used by some in the bujinkan transposing sanshin no kata to attitudes you go through by kyu grade. later the same cycle to 5 th dan, 10th an 15th.
    it seems to stem from japanese counting by elements and some added interpretation.

We do a little with traditional weaponry, but Stephen Hayes kinda moved away from that with Toshindo since the odds of you being attacked with a katana in 2012 are reasonably low. lol.
    None of what you learn in a takamatsu based art is very practical or probable, at least katanas are fun...

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 1:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love training with katanas and bo staffs. Until that is you zig when you should have zagged and get pegged in the head. That kinda sucks. lol.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456