10/20/2007 8:00pm, #1
- Join Date
- Oct 2005
- Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
- creonte on hiatus
Ok, here we are going to have a list of threads dealing with topics on strenght/weight training, powerlifting, olympic weight lifting, strongman training, and similar topics. I will be updating the list of threads as new ones come along.
Want to know how to lift?
Want to know if you should lift?
Want to know how this can help you in MA?
Want to know how this can help you in other aspects of your life?
Want to know how to make your grip stronger?
Well, dig in and happy thread reading.
Objective: To have a guideline on how to post/search for material regarding all modalities of weight training, related or not to Martial Arts training, including, but not limited to
- forearm and grip conditioning,
- strongman training,
- olympic weight lifting,
- weight training 101s
For the past couple of months we have had multiple threads dealing, to one degree or another, with the topics listed above. And I'm just #@!~$@! tired of having people asking the same questions over and over again. :qright5:
Stronger Not Bigger
synopsys: A discussion on how to start training for strenght rather than size
Strength Training and Mass Building...
synopsys: the title says it all :eng101:
Front Squats vs Full Squats, Ab Crunches vs Sit Ups
synopsys: A discussion on differences and virtues of squat variations and ab exercises
Being Muscular Makes You Gas?
Synopsys: Well, that's the question. Short answer: No. Longer Answer: read the thread to find out why
How Important Is Weightlifting for competitive MMA fighting?
Synopsys: Well, short answer: It's important. Longer Answer: read the thread, specially LI GUY 1 and GIJoe6186's posts on the subject.
Weightlifting - The Forgotten Lifts web site
synopsys: A compilation of lifts that are not commonly seeing at your plain vanilla bicep-curl retarded LA fitness branch. Not for the wimpie.
Cutting out MA in favour of weights... to improve MA?
synopsys: general discussion of weight training for supplementing (and improving) MA training.
1. SEMI-MODERATED: Grip/Forearm Conditioning - An Ongoing Experiment of the Collective:
This thread is of a general nature where people can add their experiences and experiments regarding forearm, grip and wrist conditioning. Thick bars, rope/towel exercises, grippers, devices, common compound exercises with small modifications to stress gripping, etc. That kind of stuff goes here.
2. SEMI-MODERATED: Starting out with "real" hand grippers - what kind of poundage?
This thread is specifically for asking questions specifically about heavy grippers such as IronMind "Captain Of Crush" and IM-TUG grippers and the like. For anything else, like modified everlast grippers and the like, use the Grip/Forearm Conditioning thread instead. BTW, I'll be enforcing this.
3. SEMI-MODERATED: Iranian Club Swinging Clip (Related Exercises Are Also Welcome)
This thread is for exercises involving club/gada swinging (or heavy objects with an uneven center of mass used for swinging.) These type of exercises are not solely for grip conditioning, but grip conditioning is a by-product of them. Please keep that in mind. If it is not about swinging heavy items to stress your core, shoulders and arms, then probably it does not belong here.
Note: Please try to post in the threads that already exist. If after doing your due research you still don't find an answer to your question, then feel free to create a new one.
Rules Of Posting:
- Don't be a retard. "LOL GUN-FU ROID BEEFCAKE WAAATAAAH" will get you fucking nowhere, I promise you. I deal with that **** enough already on youtube - I won't have it here.
- Don't be a bovine and make an effort to use paragraphs, specially if you are going to type a lot. This is a courtesy to the readers. That is, if your post looks like this, and if you keep insisting in posting like this, I'll send your post to trollshido, even if you are making a valid point.
- Feel free to ask questions in the appropriate thread. If you don't know where to put it, just ask and we'll help you.
- Any question is usually a good question. Just make sure you put some thought behind it, though. There is a big difference between "How should I start working out for strenght?" and "how do workout?"
- Keep questions and coments on topic. If your question or topic is not on topic, please create a different thread, if one does not exist already that answers your questions.
- Comedy posts and one-liners are welcome, so long as they are on-topic and we don't have a noise-to-signal ratio of 100 or something.
- If the comedy goes out of hand, I'll move them all out.
Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/20/2007 8:16pm at .Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.
My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.
New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.
t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.
The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris