Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Style
    Submission wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Well I'm sure you know boxers learn to box without kata? If you don't no big deal, just an example. If you are looking to learn how to fight, forget kata. They should not be the main training tool. You should train like a boxer, but with whatever tools you have in your chosen martial art.

A boxer learns how to jab, cross, hook, etc as individual moves. Then he learns to shadowbox with them, put together combos. He hits bags with his combos. Eventually he spar to be able to APPLY his punches.

You should be doing the same in your martial art practice.
    Really??? I would personally consider shadow boxing a TYPE of Kata, you are defending and attacking in different situations against a non existant opponent, Very similar to what Kata is designed for, obviously there not identical considering Kata's are generally in fixed formation where as shadow boxing is more of a freestyle Kata, unless of course you trainer is telling you to work on slipping off the jab and counter w/ a left hook. In that case you are doing fixed Kata both focus alot on movement and footwork. IMO

Style
    Grappling/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manusambo, what part of the city do you live in? What is your schedule (work/school) during the week?

Style
    Submission wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to train Sambo man I say go for it, its a very effective fighting style. If it wasnt I dont think the Russian military would have used it. It incorparates alot of Judo style throws, some striking and a very effective arsenal of ground techniques especially there leg locks :), I train in the Hayastan submission fighting system, under Gokor Chivichan and Gene Lebell. I 100% believe in cross training if your main focus is to be a competitive fighter. Just do what interests you, dont take advice from unaccredited people, listen to your gut, if Sambo really draws you to it go get it. Just always keep your mind open to everything out there

Style
    sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Gatineau, I work at the St-Laurent Center (JP Morgan Call center). I work fulltime during the week between 8 am and 6 pm. Thats what I'm working with.

I'd love to take sambo but since it's not offered around here anymore I'm willing to go for something else.

So which other martial art ressembles Combat Sambo the most? And do you guys know any specific schools worth trying?

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother supporting member
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets not debate what is and is not kata. Its general use is the fixed patterns used by many japanese and other arts.

Style
    sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure Katas have their worth, I was just trying to say I'm looking for a mix and grappling and striking.

Style
    Grappling/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manusambo
    I live in Gatineau, I work at the St-Laurent Center (JP Morgan Call center). I work fulltime during the week between 8 am and 6 pm. Thats what I'm working with.

I'd love to take sambo but since it's not offered around here anymore I'm willing to go for something else.

So which other martial art ressembles Combat Sambo the most? And do you guys know any specific schools worth trying?
    Based on the above info and the fact that you're tied to the bus I suggest you look at Bob Carver's school which is on Rideau St. http://www.thaiboxing-ca.com/
    The 95 bus would take you right there from St. Laurent and from there it's a short hop back to Hull. They don't just teach Thai boxing, they have submission grappling as well.

Style
    BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, Igor may still be around. From what I understand he's not a big fan of computers/internet. The guy doesn't even have email.

Style
    sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In soviet russia, email sends you!

No but seriously, since he's a former soviet soldier I seriously doubt he ever needed to use a computer his whole life.

How do you know he is still around? I was trying to find a way of contacting him but short of the internet I'd have to call him directly. :S

Style
    BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Igor this summer. By "still around" I mean he probably still owns/runs a school, I may be mistaken. All I know is he was going to be gone for a short while to work on movies.

I didn't think he was relocating permanently. I'll ask my instructor when I see him tomorrow since he's one of Igor's associate sambo instructors.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last