Administrator

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 5:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to write a long response.

You really need to understand Yudo and Judo rankings. It has nothing to do with his Black Belt.

Demo videos are not proof of skill.

I make the assertion because, Master is a title just like Black Belt in the grand scheme of things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 2:07pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by businessjeff

Basically, anyone can say what they want about themselves. If ur looking to learn something, do you think theres really nothing you can learn from Master Weatherly? U said ur self that you would of been sold if they had good Rondori. Correct me if im wrong but isnt Rondori just a fancy word for sparring in judo? If so, i dont even understand how u say they didnt do it. What did they do then? Sit around and chat about Judo?
    Yes, I would have been sold if a Legit 5th degree black belt was teaching the class and they had some sparring involved like all of the other legit judo clubs in the entire world. Good Judo is typically considered a good MA because the training method involves pressure testing the techniques you learn.

Aside from all this, I heard from a little mouse that you and ur brown belt brother sat in the chairs and watched when u were invited to sit in on the lesson. Why didnt u participate? And the other thing I would like to point out is, Randori... lol.

Would the little mouse be us posting in the begining of the thread? Probably. In any case we didnt participate because we went there to watch and see what was going on. We watned to see if it was a Judo class which involved some instruction on technique and some sparring.

What we witnessed (and I don't know why I'm re-writing this since you can see it at the begining of the thread) was compliant drills, a "You throw a punch and I'll wristlock you" akido-type dance, and that was it, class over. The only sparring which occured happened after the class in which Mr. Weatherly saw a kimura being performed and called it a "some sort of wing lock". We also witnessed another black belt yelling at a student because he "watched too much tv, things like that don't belong in Kodokan Judo" (The thing in question was a triangle choke, which to my knowledge is fair play in judo.)

In any case, I still question Mr. Weatherly's claim to have a 5th Dan in Yudo/Judo, as for his Hapkido Claims I find them suspect as well but I can't seem to dig up any more information on them.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if what you claim is correct i.e. they instructor said a triangle (sankaku jime) was not a part of the kodokan and that Dave Weatherly referred to a kimura (ude garami) as a 'sort of chicken wing' then i could not believe either hold a high ranking in judo... despite the majority of judoka having their real focus on throws its completely unrealistic to have reached their status without having learned two of the most basic and effetcive submissions in all grappling

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 3:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu, aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I guess we are at that point where the person being talked about shows up and pretends to be someone else.
    Someone recently showed up out of nowhere, claims to have NO martial experience, and yet is willing to argue about MDW?
    And it's all the same "forget credentials, he's the REAL DEAL" argument they all use.
    Seriously?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 6:33pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bustardo: It might be worth posting a summary of this thread over on Judoforum, AFAIK there aren't many Yudo comps in the US so the guy might have some sort of afiliation with the Judo community, would seem somewhat suspect otherwise.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 8:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt there are any Yudo competitions at all in the U.S. since the rules and techniques are exactly the same as Judo's. Even in Korea Yudo was always written in english as Judo because they are the same thing.

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 6:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by businessjeff
    Aside from all this, I heard from a little mouse that you and ur brown belt brother sat in the chairs and watched when u were invited to sit in on the lesson. Why didnt u participate? And the other thing I would like to point out is, Randori... lol.
    As Bustardo said, we didn't participate because we were there to observe the class and see if it might be something we were interested in. Neither of us had our gis with us, and we didn't plan to join in until the following week, if we liked what we saw.

We both train 5-6 days each week against fully resistant training partners, and I resent your implication that we were somehow intimidated or scared to participate in CM DW's compliant drills, which were physically demanding, if at all, only to the most advanced members of geriatric crowd. The whole idea is laughable.

At any rate, I think a summary on the judoforum, as suggested above, may be in order.
    El sueno de la razon produce monstruos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 4:14pm

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    No The question remains on who gave him his 5th degree Judo Blackbelt and 8th degree Hapkido blackbelt. I'd be suprised if he even held any rank in Judo at all. He had no idea what a Kimura even WAS and he said, "It looks like he's doing some sort of Wing-Lock".

Would a 5th degree Judo Blackbelt never have seen a Kimura?
    Kimura is a phrase coined by BJJ guys, and its not used by judo guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 4:20pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by svt2026
    Kimura is a phrase coined by BJJ guys, and its not used by judo guys.
    Perhaps, but I don't think they'd look at it confusion and refer to is as "some sort of wing-lock"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 4:23pm

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    Perhaps, but I don't think they'd look at it confusion and refer to is as "some sort of wing-lock"
    That's true.

One thing to keep in mind a lot of korean masters have both hapkido and judo rankings and experiance. so the judo experiance he has could have been just things he learned from his hapkido master. As far as rankings just go to his school and ask him to show you his certificate.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast