222497 Bullies, 3991 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 107
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,805

    Posted On:
    8/02/2008 5:29pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to write a long response.


    You really need to understand Yudo and Judo rankings. It has nothing to do with his Black Belt.


    Demo videos are not proof of skill.

    I make the assertion because, Master is a title just like Black Belt in the grand scheme of things.
  2. Bustardo is offline
    Bustardo's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    642

    Posted On:
    8/04/2008 2:07pm


     Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by businessjeff

    Basically, anyone can say what they want about themselves. If ur looking to learn something, do you think theres really nothing you can learn from Master Weatherly? U said ur self that you would of been sold if they had good Rondori. Correct me if im wrong but isnt Rondori just a fancy word for sparring in judo? If so, i dont even understand how u say they didnt do it. What did they do then? Sit around and chat about Judo?
    Yes, I would have been sold if a Legit 5th degree black belt was teaching the class and they had some sparring involved like all of the other legit judo clubs in the entire world. Good Judo is typically considered a good MA because the training method involves pressure testing the techniques you learn.


    Aside from all this, I heard from a little mouse that you and ur brown belt brother sat in the chairs and watched when u were invited to sit in on the lesson. Why didnt u participate? And the other thing I would like to point out is, Randori... lol.

    Would the little mouse be us posting in the begining of the thread? Probably. In any case we didnt participate because we went there to watch and see what was going on. We watned to see if it was a Judo class which involved some instruction on technique and some sparring.

    What we witnessed (and I don't know why I'm re-writing this since you can see it at the begining of the thread) was compliant drills, a "You throw a punch and I'll wristlock you" akido-type dance, and that was it, class over. The only sparring which occured happened after the class in which Mr. Weatherly saw a kimura being performed and called it a "some sort of wing lock". We also witnessed another black belt yelling at a student because he "watched too much tv, things like that don't belong in Kodokan Judo" (The thing in question was a triangle choke, which to my knowledge is fair play in judo.)


    In any case, I still question Mr. Weatherly's claim to have a 5th Dan in Yudo/Judo, as for his Hapkido Claims I find them suspect as well but I can't seem to dig up any more information on them.
  3. HigherLearning is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    8/04/2008 9:29pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if what you claim is correct i.e. they instructor said a triangle (sankaku jime) was not a part of the kodokan and that Dave Weatherly referred to a kimura (ude garami) as a 'sort of chicken wing' then i could not believe either hold a high ranking in judo... despite the majority of judoka having their real focus on throws its completely unrealistic to have reached their status without having learned two of the most basic and effetcive submissions in all grappling
  4. mightydavefish is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    16

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 3:06pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu, aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I guess we are at that point where the person being talked about shows up and pretends to be someone else.
    Someone recently showed up out of nowhere, claims to have NO martial experience, and yet is willing to argue about MDW?
    And it's all the same "forget credentials, he's the REAL DEAL" argument they all use.
    Seriously?
  5. ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE is offline
    ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North England
    Posts
    643

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 6:33pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bustardo: It might be worth posting a summary of this thread over on Judoforum, AFAIK there aren't many Yudo comps in the US so the guy might have some sort of afiliation with the Judo community, would seem somewhat suspect otherwise.
  6. D Dempsey is offline
    D Dempsey's Avatar

    Monkey Knife Fight!

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    724

    Posted On:
    8/05/2008 8:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt there are any Yudo competitions at all in the U.S. since the rules and techniques are exactly the same as Judo's. Even in Korea Yudo was always written in english as Judo because they are the same thing.
  7. Bukow is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    244

    Posted On:
    8/15/2008 6:27am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by businessjeff
    Aside from all this, I heard from a little mouse that you and ur brown belt brother sat in the chairs and watched when u were invited to sit in on the lesson. Why didnt u participate? And the other thing I would like to point out is, Randori... lol.
    As Bustardo said, we didn't participate because we were there to observe the class and see if it might be something we were interested in. Neither of us had our gis with us, and we didn't plan to join in until the following week, if we liked what we saw.

    We both train 5-6 days each week against fully resistant training partners, and I resent your implication that we were somehow intimidated or scared to participate in CM DW's compliant drills, which were physically demanding, if at all, only to the most advanced members of geriatric crowd. The whole idea is laughable.

    At any rate, I think a summary on the judoforum, as suggested above, may be in order.
    El sueno de la razon produce monstruos.
  8. svt2026 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Carol Stream, IL
    Posts
    180

    Posted On:
    8/15/2008 4:14pm


     Style: hapkido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    No The question remains on who gave him his 5th degree Judo Blackbelt and 8th degree Hapkido blackbelt. I'd be suprised if he even held any rank in Judo at all. He had no idea what a Kimura even WAS and he said, "It looks like he's doing some sort of Wing-Lock".

    Would a 5th degree Judo Blackbelt never have seen a Kimura?
    Kimura is a phrase coined by BJJ guys, and its not used by judo guys.
  9. Bustardo is offline
    Bustardo's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    642

    Posted On:
    8/15/2008 4:20pm


     Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by svt2026
    Kimura is a phrase coined by BJJ guys, and its not used by judo guys.
    Perhaps, but I don't think they'd look at it confusion and refer to is as "some sort of wing-lock"
  10. svt2026 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Carol Stream, IL
    Posts
    180

    Posted On:
    8/15/2008 4:23pm


     Style: hapkido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    Perhaps, but I don't think they'd look at it confusion and refer to is as "some sort of wing-lock"
    That's true.

    One thing to keep in mind a lot of korean masters have both hapkido and judo rankings and experiance. so the judo experiance he has could have been just things he learned from his hapkido master. As far as rankings just go to his school and ask him to show you his certificate.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.