Style
    Unsure...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi everyone, haven't even started yet...

Hi everyone, James here from Australia. I thought I'd get fit and slowly work my way to black belt (and beyond) in Tae Kwon Do and eventually participate in Koshiki tournaments.

I start my training tomorrow night with my white belt. Previous to that I'd only done some self defence with my father who was a military police officer in Berlin 1960 - 1962. A dangerous time to be a M.P. officer. He's nearly 70 and can still kick ass and walk 100km without a break. On the other hand, I'm 27, a heavy smoker and get puffed walking up the road...

I made a stupid blunder in registering by saying my primary style was "Koshiki and Tae Kwon Do" - a quick Google search after that left me red faced. Now I know what Koshiki is. Sorry about that. I'll update my profile and change it.

I'd like to ask three questions before I head off tomorrow if anyone would like to help. I'm 5-foot 3 inches and weigh in at a whopping 45kg. Eh... I'm a skinny little runt. I know there's heavy weight, medium weight and so on. What would I be? Featherweight or something like that?

How should I address my instructor? Master, Sensei, Mr King? He was busy on the phone and I didn't get the chance to ask. I don't want to embarrass myself!

If there's an expert here, is there a reliable site packed with information about Tae Kwon Do I can visit (I'm not experienced enough to judge these sites) and is it a good way to keep fit and fast on my toes? I'm mainly in it for fitness, to push myself hard when I eventually reach the stage where I can participate in Koshiki tournaments and then if I am skilled enough become a teacher myself after reaching a certain black belt Dan (what Dan should I be before even considering becoming an instructor)?

Thanks, look forward to hanging around and reading posts. I doubt I will be able to contribute anything meaningful for a while, so I probably won't make many (if any) posts for a short while yet.

See you around, take care. -- James

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULL RUSH ON whitebelt.au!!!

Style
    Unsure...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm... bull rush... doesn't sound all that nice... :-)

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would be us rushing to welcome you! So much that senior staff member is the first!

WELCOME!

Lots of TKD Black Belts here on the board.
    Where in Australia are you exactly? We've had a recent growth of Aussies come to the board.

Check out the Style Forums here to discuss your chosen art.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    Unsure...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, thanks! Ha, I assumed it was a bit of a lark to bang the newbies around a bit!

In Australia, I am exactly in a town called Glen Innes, New South Wales.

Thanks for the link to the style forums. Heading over there now! Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it a lot. I admit there was a lot of apprehension before I posted and even considered chickening out.

Cheers,
    James

Style
    many; box,TKD,croty,BJJ..
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, you don't sound the chicken type, its good to ask questins about where your training is going. This would be a great start. Peeps around here TKD bash a fair bit, but whatever, mostl7y in fun. Have fun.
    I'm a TDK guy too- love it, very fun.

Style
    Unsure...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by praetorian01
    Nah, you don't sound the chicken type, its good to ask questins about where your training is going. This would be a great start. Peeps around here TKD bash a fair bit, but whatever, mostl7y in fun. Have fun.
    I'm a TDK guy too- love it, very fun.
    Ah, two worlds. The real one and the online one. In the real world, I'm a bit nervy but not one for chickening out unless I know I'm going to die or something.

The group of 5+ (maybe 7 to 10) drunks outside my house one night who swore and cussed at me and threw empty bottles no longer give me any trouble - I didn't even need to lift a finger! Just marched outside and asked them to kindly repeat what they just said. Silence. Heh, liquid courage. The easiest to defend against from my experience so far. But on teh interwebs, sometimes I can type before thinking. Bad habit.

Yeah, I think it's good to have a bit of fun. I don't mind folks TKD bashing, all in good fun. Yeah, I love TKD. I've seen it in action at a major (dojo? are TKD places called dojos?) in Sydney and I was hooked. Actually, I was mesmerised. That would be a better way to describe it. It was almost as if these instructors had super human powers.

Just as a point of interest, when I went to register, I tried to register using the name praetorian. It was already taken. I'm fascinated by Roman history.

Thanks for replying, see you around!