10/19/2007 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing/muy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Ha ha.

Don't.

I didn't say bitch but, boy was that a fun argument. Oh and don't crack any jokes about shooting her either.
    I'm a little more subtle IRL, but thanks for the advice.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Option 1: Take classes first, get licensed, etc then try to indoctrinate her afterwards

Option 2: Try to make it a marital bonding/growth session by embarking on the journey to gun ownership together like 2 wild eyed school children even though I may risk looking like a sissy to some of the cool range guys. *rollseyes*

I'm leaning towards option 1.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 4:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have little kids? Most pistols are sold with a trigger lock these days, I think. I haven't bought a gun in years, so I'm not positive, but you can get one of those. If you take her shooting, a .22 is perfect. It would be good to have some privacy too. You may also consider doing a shooting class with her too.

Does she do criminal work? If yes, you need a gun. Actually, she needs one in her office.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 4:14pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive not met the woman who hasn't done an about face on her opposition to firearms after a day at the range.
    Start her off with something manageable like a .380 then work from there

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 4:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    I'm a little more subtle IRL, but thanks for the advice.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Option 1: Take classes first, get licensed, etc then try to indoctrinate her afterwards

Option 2: Try to make it a marital bonding/growth session by embarking on the journey to gun ownership together like 2 wild eyed school children even though I may risk looking like a sissy to some of the cool range guys. *rollseyes*

I'm leaning towards option 1.
    Good ideas. Thing is get them before you have kids. Then teach your kids young and it isn't a problem. Yes, I keep my guns safe locked, hidden, room locked where I keep them etc etc etc.

Thing is guns aren't as mysterious when they see, hold, and know them. I showed my first gun to my 2 year old daughter. Raised her to respect it like anything dangerous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 5:44pm

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a young daughter (16 mnths) and I have gun all through out the house. She can’t get to a single one however, I have made sure of that.

Like one of the other guys said, I also had most of mine before we started even dating. I told her very early in the relationship that I have guns and if she didn’t like it than we may not be compatible. We have been married 2 ˝ years now and I have no problems with her. I take her to the range on occasion and she loves it, she even wants her own pistol.

Dude, you wife is a lawyer. Lawyers tend to be analytical. There is tons of research and studies out there about how most of the paranoia surrounding guns are really unfounded. Do some research and show her the evidence.

The State of Florida as some good info. Also check out a guy named John Richard Lott Jr.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2nd Amendment

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 6:04pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do some research, there are studies that show that she is much more likely to get hurt from doing recreational sports like biking then by having a gun in the house.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train harder.

Failing that, arrange a pal to break into your house and expose himself. Get him to steal your cat (which you hate).

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly are her objections? Just that they "scare her"? That's not very rational, though I've encountered that a lot before. I once had someone tell me they were afraid of guns and wouldn't even handle one even after I cleared it right in front of them and reviewed the four rules. I said, look, it's not loaded. Here's the empty chamber. Their response was to say there might be something in there they couldn't see. It was like he (yeah, that's right, it wasn't even a girl) thought it worked by magic or something. You just can't deal reasonably with that kind of irrationality.

If your wife takes pride in being a lawyer and being "smart" just tell her she's acting like a stupid idiot. When she denies, tell her to prove it by backing up her fear with facts. She won't be able to (because the facts don't support it) and you'll win.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2007 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, on second thought, you really have to appeal to her vanity (scratch the rape idea).

She needs to feel that she understands guns more than the average person. She can use her familiarity as bragging rights to her professional peers, who're probably like-minded. This will make her "different", and special.

Once she's on your side, she'll be a powerful ally.

You just have to get over this initial hurdle.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast