Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I'd rather use an ab wheel over ab crunches. You get a much better workout in a fraction of the time.

Standing jack knife (it will hit your abs and lower back.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg1YDlTvSQM

An easier variation (you still have to go as down as possible to get the benefits of this workout, though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9drX2Ut0HDM
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the great info, macho. I loved my ab wheel but left it in the States (I'm going to school in Turkey). Also I left my judo club, which is why I decided to start lifting. Something to do. Thanks again.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you leave the States, try to get Ross Enamait's "Infinite Intensity" and "Never Gymless" (http://www.rosstraining.com), in addition to "Starting Strenght" (the book recommended by PirateJon).

You will not regret making that investment.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2007 6:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer hanging leg raises to crunches. They seem to hit the lower abs better.

Attached video has some hyperbole, but it's a good demo of the leg raise.
    Exercise demo starts at 3:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvSA6lelSwk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 1:41am

Style: PLUR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a total crossfit whore. Their workouts are tailored for all around fitness, but my explosive power has gone through the roof. Check em out:

www.crossfit.com

Quick warning. Be careful with the olympic lifts. Those complex movements can cause some serious damage to someone who isn't used to them. I jacked my wrist up pretty bad simply trying to clean 95 lbs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 6:20am

Style: many; box,TKD,croty,BJJ..

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My 2c. Go out and get a hardass manual labor job.:lol: I grew up on a farm pitching bales, hacking trees, piling brush and packing feed. The effects usually last a lifetime- you pack heavy crap like always,so its like a low amount of reps a bunch of times. You'll get no fancy boy physique either, just hard ol' oomph power. And, you'll be paid crappy to well or somewhere in between but, be "training" all the time for money.

I do like the non-sissy boy grab and pound decent, basic exercise- none of this isolate this and polish that bodybuilder stuff. People tend to get lost in that mentallity too often.

----cool thread though, bigtime!
    Last edited by praetorian01; 11/19/2007 6:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 11:56am

Style: PLUR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by praetorian01
    My 2c. Go out and get a hardass manual labor job.:lol: I grew up on a farm pitching bales, hacking trees, piling brush and packing feed. The effects usually last a lifetime- you pack heavy crap like always,so its like a low amount of reps a bunch of times. You'll get no fancy boy physique either, just hard ol' oomph power. And, you'll be paid crappy to well or somewhere in between but, be "training" all the time for money.

I do like the non-sissy boy grab and pound decent, basic exercise- none of this isolate this and polish that bodybuilder stuff. People tend to get lost in that mentallity too often.

----cool thread though, bigtime!
    Or join the Millitary. The Marines will make you strong whether you want it or not. Plus it might pay a bit better than a manual labor job, but I doubt it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 5:12pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    Some of it is also genetics, it sounds like you're a naturally big guy. I can't stand my body type, I can rep curl say 90 lbs with perfect technique but the guy next to me doing the hip thrust wearing a weight belt struggling with 60 has arms twice my size. Want to switch bodies?
    I hate my body too. I must have a big bone structure or something (hear me out, don't think I'm fat :lol:) because looking at me you'd think I was maybe 70kg. I'm still strong for my size, but I'm 83kg at the moment. I have such a job coming down to 79kg (fight weight) and then I'm faced with guys who look twice my size. I still normally have a strength advantage butI just look a totally different weight. Kinda funny really.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by handoverfist
    Or join the Millitary. The Marines will make you strong whether you want it or not. Plus it might pay a bit better than a manual labor job, but I doubt it.
    A bunch of Marines train at the school I used to teach at, and while they were all in excellent condition, a lot of them were weak as hell. And I say this as someone who's never deadlifted more than 350.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, I actually got a lot bigger in about 7 months renovating houses, it was a step up from manual labor but I did manage to get significantly bigger, everyone who didn't see me regularly started asking if I was working out.
    Since the OP I'd been doing a basic lifting thing, essentially what teh macho recommended early in this thread, and was feeling good, making some progress, but I went to Istanbul for 10 days and have since been slacking. Back in the gym tomorrow.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast